The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Zoology or chemistry course help!!

Hi my names Matthew and hopefully i will be coming to Bangor next year however i need some help. Ever since i was about 8 i have always wanted to do zoology because i have such a passion for animals and i have basically spent my whole life teaching myself about animals and i even have a zoology uni textbook. However, recently i have fallen in love with chemistry and have developed a huge passion for it. And i know chemistry probably opens more doors, and the department is smaller so there is more contact time (i came to the open day on Saturday). So i now face the horrible decision of picking which one i will do. I would appreciate any advise, is chemistry really intense?? Whats zoology like as a course?? Any advice at all from people who are actually studying these courses would be much appreciated, i know ultimately I'll have to decide but would appreciated any advice.
Many thanks
Matthew
Reply 1
Original post by Matthew303
Hi my names Matthew and hopefully i will be coming to Bangor next year however i need some help. Ever since i was about 8 i have always wanted to do zoology because i have such a passion for animals and i have basically spent my whole life teaching myself about animals and i even have a zoology uni textbook. However, recently i have fallen in love with chemistry and have developed a huge passion for it. And i know chemistry probably opens more doors, and the department is smaller so there is more contact time (i came to the open day on Saturday). So i now face the horrible decision of picking which one i will do. I would appreciate any advise, is chemistry really intense?? Whats zoology like as a course?? Any advice at all from people who are actually studying these courses would be much appreciated, i know ultimately I'll have to decide but would appreciated any advice.
Many thanks
Matthew

Im only in year 13 so I can't talk about each course but what I could suggest is, either a natural sciences degree (you can do chemical and zoological elements) or (more likely for your uni) choose zoology and then choose modules which go with chemistry (molecules, biochemistry) so you get some chemistry as well.

At the end of the day you have to think, which do I prefer and which would I want to do for the rest of my life. I love chemistry but I would never in a million years what to do any of the jobs associated with it. I love biology and it is my dream to spend the rest of my life doing biology so of course I chose biology.

Hope this helps :smile: it is hard to choose i know
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Munrot07
Im only in year 13 so I can't talk about each course but what I could suggest is, either a natural sciences degree (you can do chemical and zoological elements) or (more likely for your uni) choose zoology and then choose modules which go with chemistry (molecules, biochemistry) so you get some chemistry as well.

At the end of the day you have to think, which do I prefer and which would I want to do for the rest of my life. I love chemistry but I would never in a million years what to do any of the jobs associated with it. I love biology and it is my dream to spend the rest of my life doing biology so of course I chose biology.

Hope this helps :smile: it is hard to choose i know

Thanks i know its a horrible decision, i wouldn't mind a chemistry job like working in pharmaceuticals, just concerned about actually getting a job in zoology. Oh i don't know haha thanks for the rapid reply, really appreciate it!!
Reply 3
Hello,
If it is any constellation I Am leading up to a university course within moulton collage that will able me to lead a career in zoology although the collage have taken me on with the understanding that my Gcse's are completely ereliphant to the course (public services) all they have asked me is to practice biology in my free time as at the age of choosing my Gcse's I never truly knew what I wanted to do. Don't feel that your whole life will depend on one decision you made once there's always an option to change and improve x
Reply 4
Original post by Eidas
Hello,
If it is any constellation I Am leading up to a university course within moulton collage that will able me to lead a career in zoology although the collage have taken me on with the understanding that my Gcse's are completely ereliphant to the course (public services) all they have asked me is to practice biology in my free time as at the age of choosing my Gcse's I never truly knew what I wanted to do. Don't feel that your whole life will depend on one decision you made once there's always an option to change and improve x

Thank you that does actually make me feel more confident about making the decision, I think I probably have more options to change with chemistry just concerned about the intensity of the course haha thanks for your comment!

Quick Reply

Latest