The Student Room Group

Worth applying to Oxford with bad GCSE grades?

At GCSE I got 9Bs and 3Cs I know why I did bad but I can't really blame anyone but myself at the end of the day.
But I was looking around and Oxford do PPE. Honestly the thought of doing PPE at Oxford (or even Warwick) would be a dream come true.
For AS level I took
Maths
Economics
Sociology
Politics
and as obvious as it seems I think that if I knuckle down and carry on the way I am working and keep it consistent throughout the year I could potentially get 3/4 As but it is too early to even judge how I'll do. But if I do amazingly at A-level would it make up for my poor GCSE grades?
Thank you in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KirenA
At GCSE I got 9Bs and 3Cs I know why I did bad but I can't really blame anyone but myself at the end of the day.
But I was looking around and Oxford do PPE. Honestly the thought of doing PPE at Oxford (or even Warwick) would be a dream come true.
For AS level I took
Maths
Economics
Sociology
Politics
and as obvious as it seems I think that if I knuckle down and carry on the way I am working and keep it consistent throughout the year I could potentially get 3/4 As but it is too early to even judge how I'll do. But if I do amazingly at A-level would it make up for my poor GCSE grades?

Oxford are well-known for looking specifically at GCSEs because they regard them as a strong indicator of degree performance. Cambridge, on the other hand, prefer to put their faith in high UMS at AS, and A2 if available.
Original post by KirenA
For AS level I took
Maths
Economics
Sociology
Politics

Oh, this is a toughie. You could, only just, get in if your A levels are, like, smashing, and I mean smashing. One two As would have helped, most certainly, but it's not impossible, I guess. I take it that there are no extenuating circumstances for your part. The problem is there emphasis on GCSE grades compared to other Unis. I can also imagine that PPEists are quite well-rounded academically, and GCSE demonstrate such an ability. If I were in your position, I probably wouldn't even consider Oxford, but that's not to say that the Russell Group is out of reach. Take a look at this guy's GCSE results https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qjMySrJGK0. These are merely my opinions. Peace out:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
If you had exceptional AS grades, reference, personal statement and A2 predictions then yes, they would probably consider you.

But be warned you may be asked in interview about your GCSE grades and the wrong answer could cost you your place.
I personally wouldn't apply to Oxford if I were you, givem that your GCSEs are very below average for the average Oxford applicant and your AS subject choices. PPE is highly competitive and you'll be competing with people who have a much better academic profile, ie at least 7A*s and/or 4As who would have got A*s and As at GCSEs without trying much anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
Oxford are well-known for looking specifically at GCSEs because they regard them as a strong indicator of degree performance. Cambridge, on the other hand, prefer to put their faith in high UMS at AS, and A2 if available.

Don't forget that for many subjects Oxford also has aptitude tests.
Original post by shoshin
Don't forget that for many subjects Oxford also has aptitude tests.

Yes true, for PPE it's the TSA.
Reply 7
Your subjects seem fine, so if you can get predicted at least AAA and get a good score on the TSA you have a good chance.

Warwick will likely be far more strict however, as they don't test OR interview, so to stand a chance there you would need high AS-level UMS.

PS: They don't really care about your GCSE's.
Original post by Akanai

PS: They don't really care about your GCSE's.

Yes they do - check out various threads regarding applying to Oxford.
Original post by Akanai
Your subjects seem fine, so if you can get predicted at least AAA and get a good score on the TSA you have a good chance.

Warwick will likely be far more strict however, as they don't test OR interview, so to stand a chance there you would need high AS-level UMS.

PS: They don't really care about your GCSE's.[/QUOTE]

Lol, that's a first...
Reply 10
Original post by yl95

Lol, that's a first...

GCSE's might matter if say you got a similar TSA score as another candidate, similar A-level predictions and they have significantly better GCSE's than you do, if you score well on the TSA there isn't anything to worry about, granted you have predicted grades of at least the standard offer (or circumstances that allow for lower)
Reply 11
Yes they do - check out various threads regarding applying to Oxford.

Like the Oxbridge FAQ that says high GCSEs and AS's are PREFERRED but that they're not to worry about if you're a good applicant with low GCSE's or AS UMS?
Original post by Akanai
Like the Oxbridge FAQ that says high GCSEs and AS's are PREFERRED but that they're not to worry about if you're a good applicant with low GCSE's or AS UMS?

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/applying_to_oxford/gcses.html:

"However, competition for places is strong and many applicants have all A* and A grades at GCSE. Unless there are particular extenuating circumstances, we could not be optimistic of an applicant’s chances of gaining a place at Oxford without a high percentage of A* and A grades at GCSE."

Interestingly, the page makes no mention of UMS, though it does mention "clear upward progression" at AS as well as excellent predicted A2 grades.

Assertions such as "if you score well on the TSA there isn't anything to worry about" are misleading to say the least.
Original post by Akanai
GCSE's might matter if say you got a similar TSA score as another candidate, similar A-level predictions and they have significantly better GCSE's than you do, if you score well on the TSA there isn't anything to worry about, granted you have predicted grades of at least the standard offer (or circumstances that allow for lower)

They're still going to matter when giving out who to give offers to, I'm pretty sure. Correct me if I'm wrong. A strong academic record at GCSE is still going to be preferred.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by KirenA
For AS level I took
Maths
Economics
Sociology
Politics

Original post by ohsnapitschels
If you had exceptional AS grades, reference, personal statement and A2 predictions then yes, they would probably consider you.

But be warned you may be asked in interview about your GCSE grades and the wrong answer could cost you your place.

OP Generally Oxford are fairly GCSE orientated, I would do as well as you possibly can at AS in terms of UMS scores and look into Cambridge as they might let you off for the GCSEs.

And with 0 A's or A*s (not being mean) you might not get an interview, at least with Cambridge they send you the SAQ on which you can explain why you didn't do as well as you had hoped at GCSE.
Reply 15
Original post by KirenA
For AS level I took
Maths
Economics
Sociology
Politics

With those GCSEs, to be honest, especially for PPE I wouldn't apply- unless you do amazingly well at the TSA. This from their website:
"... competition for places is strong and many applicants have all A* and A grades at GCSE. Unless there are particular extenuating circumstances, we could not be optimistic of an applicant’s chances of gaining a place at Oxford without a high percentage of A* and A grades at GCSE."

In your situation, I would consider applying for Cambridge (maybe HSPS as they don't do PPE), as they will consider your UMS average much more important than your GCSEs.
Reply 16
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/applying_to_oxford/gcses.html:

"However, competition for places is strong and many applicants have all A* and A grades at GCSE. Unless there are particular extenuating circumstances, we could not be optimistic of an applicant’s chances of gaining a place at Oxford without a high percentage of A* and A grades at GCSE."

Interestingly, the page makes no mention of UMS, though it does mention "clear upward progression" at AS as well as excellent predicted A2 grades.

Assertions such as "if you score well on the TSA there isn't anything to worry about" are misleading to say the least.

Original post by yl95
They're still going to matter when giving out who to give offers to, I'm pretty sure. Correct me if I'm wrong. A strong academic record at GCSE is still going to be preferred.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A clear upward progression is what I assumed the OP was expecting in their AS's, otherwise they wouldn't be asking for advice to apply to oxford. Of course strong GCSE's are preferred, but as someone who applied last year, with no GCSE's and ABBC at AS-level, I was given an offer instead of people that had significantly higher AS scores as well as stronger GCSE's than none at all.
The OP was asking whether or not it is worth it, and I seem to be the only one thinking it is, but don't forget that applying to oxford will also likely strengthen their application overall, as more effort is generally put in because people feel it is necessary for 'a place such as oxford'.

So yes, it is worth applying, and if you're serious about getting an offer then do your best on the TSA to compensate for your GCSE's.
Reply 17
do you do TSA for PPE or E and M?
Reply 18
I'd just like to thank everyone who gave me advice as I can't really go to any teacher in school as the teacher who does help with Oxford and Cambridge doesn't like me so she would probably tell me to go away and leave her alone so I really do appreciate everyone's help.
Depending on how I do at AS I may apply and if I work towards a target like going to Oxford it's only going to make me work harder and if worst comes to worst and I have doubts I may apply to Cambridge as some of you guys said.

But a question about the TSA it seems confusing at the moment. Is it something I would revise for? Is it one of those things where if you get it, you get it and if you don't well nothing can really be done?
But again thank you :smile:
Reply 19
You definitely practice for it, there are books you can use to practice and there are past papers available on their official website.

Current TSA thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2413105 people will be talking about how they are preparing for their TSA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending