The Student Room Group

Applying to US Universities: Extracurriculars?

I'm thinking of applying to some of the Ivy League universities (e.g. Harvard, MIT, Yale etc), but do not have many extracurriculars. Hence, would it be good to include extracurriculars such as playing a musical instrument, even if I don't take lessons (and just play it in my spare time) or can I only mention extracurriculars for which I have a "reference" for (e.g. a teacher)?
Reply 1
Definitely include everything! I am assuming you're applying with the Common App to the Ivies that use the Common App? The activities section on the Common App doesn't require any sort of reference or verification. However, I'm not sure if that's the case for the schools that use a separate application(like MIT).
Reply 2
Original post by bobbricks
I'm thinking of applying to some of the Ivy League universities (e.g. Harvard, MIT, Yale etc), but do not have many extracurriculars. Hence, would it be good to include extracurriculars such as playing a musical instrument, even if I don't take lessons (and just play it in my spare time) or can I only mention extracurriculars for which I have a "reference" for (e.g. a teacher)?

example: donating your time to charity.student government.debating society.sports.join Big Brother-Big sister programs.Harvard is the top college in America.
Reply 3
Definitely include everything listed above. And the more volunteer hours you have the better.

And just for some extra info, I'm an American and I applied to Boston College and my activities list was extensive, my friend is applying to Princeton and her activities list is outrageous.
Reply 4
If i am intersted in applying to the likes of University of Virginia/Michigan/Chicago/Penn(Wharton), Georgetown (SFS or mcdonough) and College of William & Mary do you think my extracurriculars are good enough?

(Forget grades and all)

Keep in mind that i am a female that lives in Saudi Arabia and therefore my opportunities outside of school are very limited already. But so far i managed to find a centre in which i can do volunteer work w/disabled kids.

Extracurriculars: (Plan to have these by the time i graduate) - Ones i have done now are in red

-2 year Basketball (1 year SAIKAC- National competition)
-2 Years senior prefect
(Highest leader ship role you can achieve at my school for my Year group)
-Model UN (1 year)
-National Honor Society (will try for Leadership role)
-Volunteering (At Disabled Centre - will aim for 100+ hours
-Work Experience (IDB a bank) - As i'd like to major in Finance/Accounting (I will shadow a chartered accountant for 1-2 weeks)
-Internship (Art)
-School Magazine (Editor in chief for 1 year), Contributor for 1 year
-Art Competition ( 5th place in a regional competition)

Btw i am currently in year 11.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I think those extracurriculars are great, especially if you can somehow emphasize the fact that you don't have many opportunities for doing them outside of school, yet you still managed to be involved like this. Focus on your volunteer work very heavily, that is crucial with a lot of schools.

I think this looks like a great list!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending