The Student Room Group

Pharmacy @ Durham

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Annie_t
haha no, I was just missing uni a lot and my London friends got bored of me talking about it so decided to come on here and talk some more. #KeenButAlastairIsKeener. It's a weird coincidence how Alastair and I ended up on this around the same time, he obviously copied me:wink:

we've done loads of labs and some placements! I've been to a hospital and have my community and mental health placements coming up.
The people in Stockton are seriously harmless, i've been shopping by myself in the dark (went to get candy canes to give to the class for Christmas) and everyone is nice to you. In terms of walking back after nights out - I've walked alone with one other girl before and it was fine. Taxis would cost you like £1 anyway and those come literally within 5 mins of you phoning them. Coming from London I thought Stockton wouldn't be great but it's not actually that bad

Original post by Annie_t
HI! Totally love the course :smile: I find the lecturers more helpful than my school teachers, which is strange since I went to leading grammar and private school and at uni the lecturers aren't meant to be as helpful. Seriously, quality of teaching is immense because they're all really passionate and it rubs off onto the students. I wasn't this enthusiastic about Pharmacy until I started uni. Also my academic adviser replies to my emails in like 2 hours or something normally, whereas friends at other unis have issues getting in touch with them

They really want the course to do well here, which is why they put in so much effort, so you will literally be listened to about any qualm. Even by the admin staff in the office, they are fantastic too and really hardworking

Uni life is so great!! The college system is the best thing. When talking with oxbridge friends about it, I really fit in better haha and my friends who go to unis like UCL (no college system) always say how they wish they had colleges. Loads of things to get involved in and the people are so friendly :smile: They are not uber competitive where you will always feel under pressure. Relaxed atmosphere at Queens campus :smile:

Thanks for the info it's greatly appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 61
Original post by Annie_t
I'm British Indian, my name is actually Anandi but I don't like to use it much as people always mispronounce it haha. The main campus is not very multicultural but our campus definitely is, especially Pharmacy!!! We have Iranians, Somalians, Pakistanis, Indians, Chinese ... you name it :smile: And that's just with 42 of us. On campus there are a lot of business degrees, so you get more Chinese people and south-asians (so like India, Pakistan etc).
I think you should definitely put it as your firm, I chose this place over East Anglia and Kings and it was deffs worth it

wow that's really interesting! Which college are you at?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 62
Hey I was just wondering whether you can opt out of the catering system??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by Roselyn8

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think so, but tbh you don't have to go and so it's only £6 a week wasted
Reply 64
Original post by PoorLoser
wow that's really interesting! Which college are you at?

John Snow (the better college)
Reply 65
Original post by Roselyn8

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have to go, but you can't opt out. It honestly isn't that bad, and when you're in lectures or labs for most of the day and doing other stuff afterwards like sports, and then if you're going out to a club at night, college dining is a brilliant thing. It's also nice to go with your friends and meet new people too.

If you want to have the best possible time at Uni you'd come to Stevo. We adopt people from John Snow because they realise our college is so much more fun than theirs. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Annie_t
I'm British Indian, my name is actually Anandi but I don't like to use it much as people always mispronounce it haha. The main campus is not very multicultural but our campus definitely is, especially Pharmacy!!! We have Iranians, Somalians, Pakistanis, Indians, Chinese ... you name it :smile: And that's just with 42 of us. On campus there are a lot of business degrees, so you get more Chinese people and south-asians (so like India, Pakistan etc).
I think you should definitely put it as your firm, I chose this place over East Anglia and Kings and it was deffs worth it

How long did it take for you to get your offer? I've only just applied in the last few days but I'm nervously checking my email every 45 seconds for replies already :colondollar:
So a couple of days back I was accepted into the college of my choice (John Snow) - so happy :biggrin: can't wait to start the course!!

I was wondering if any of the current students would be able to tell me what to expect on the open day I've been invited to on the 26th March? also, would smart casual attire be appropriate or would you suggest full suit? Thank you :smile:
Reply 68
Poor choice of college :wink: yeah sure, the plan for the open day is a talk to start with, then the prospective students will split off to a lab and the parents have a question and answer session. There will be current students like me standing around to give you our opinions of the course.

I'd really reccomend coming to the open day, just dress smart casual or completely casual, I'll be there in an open day shirt and jeans probably :smile:
Got into john snow college :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by Raymankiing
Got into john snow college :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats!
im probs going to firm durham.

college named after newsreader?
Original post by casper29
Congrats!
im probs going to firm durham.

college named after newsreader?

Lool
hmm I'm firming UCL, but this is most likely to be my insurance.

I'd rather stay in London tbh :biggrin:
Reply 72
Original post by Raymankiing
Lool
hmm I'm firming UCL, but this is most likely to be my insurance.

I'd rather stay in London tbh :biggrin:

Was durham offer lower?
coz of all stuff heard about durham and how course is highly rated by pharmacists, probs my firm.
couldnt handle living in London, country boy at heart
Original post by APaterson
Poor choice of college :wink: yeah sure, the plan for the open day is a talk to start with, then the prospective students will split off to a lab and the parents have a question and answer session. There will be current students like me standing around to give you our opinions of the course.

I'd really reccomend coming to the open day, just dress smart casual or completely casual, I'll be there in an open day shirt and jeans probably :smile:

Great, thanks for the info! :smile:
Hey guys, anyone else out there going to Durham? :smile:

I've sent my as12 reply but I'm wondering if there's any facebook Fresher's Pages for 2014 entry? And also what text books we should start ordering xD Am I being a bit too keen thinking through this now or will we be told all of this at a later date? Cheers!
Hey, yes there is!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1460123774242043/

It may take a few days for your AS12 reply to come through due to the volume of students across the university submitting theirs. There's no need to order textbooks yet, but it's great to hear how keen you are! Best to be prepared!

Aulton's Pharmaceutics and Bruice's Organic Chemistry are used a lot but there are loads of copies in the library and our year group are more than happy to lend you ours. There will be a freshers information booklet coming to you in the post shortly - it's just in print at the moment. That contains more info regarding textbooks etc.

Any questions you have, feel free to message me on here or Facebook!

Best,
Alastair
Thanks for the reply, Alistair! I seem to remember talking to you at one of the open days haha :smile:

I feel more at ease now that I know more information will be coming through and I will be sure to join the Facebook group... so excited :biggrin:

I'll be sure to message you if i have any queries or doubts, and thanks again !

Original post by APaterson
Hey, yes there is!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1460123774242043/

It may take a few days for your AS12 reply to come through due to the volume of students across the university submitting theirs. There's no need to order textbooks yet, but it's great to hear how keen you are! Best to be prepared!

Aulton's Pharmaceutics and Bruice's Organic Chemistry are used a lot but there are loads of copies in the library and our year group are more than happy to lend you ours. There will be a freshers information booklet coming to you in the post shortly - it's just in print at the moment. That contains more info regarding textbooks etc.

Any questions you have, feel free to message me on here or Facebook!

Best,
Alastair
Reply 77
Hi, are lab skills refreshed and taught in the first few weeks of year 1 or are you expected to know all that plus the basics of what reactions for elements from the get go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending