The Student Room Group

Sheffield or Nottingham for psychology?!

Hi,

I'm still getting used to this site so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place or something!

Basically, I have picked 4 unis (Cardiff, Leeds, RHUL, Sussex) I want to study psychology at next year but I just cannot decide whether to choose Sheffield or Nottingham as my 5th choice.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any help regarding the courses at both of these unis, whether there is an option to study abroad, and what the cities are like for students, best career opportunities, just generally which one is considered better.
Or am I aiming to low considering my predicted grades, would I be better off applying somewhere like Bath or Exeter to fill this gap.

These notes about myself might help:

I am rather more interested in the social/developmental side of psychology rather than the biological etc.

I would quite like the option to study abroad.

I want a good social life in uni and I really enjoy going to gigs etc.

My predicted grades are; psychology A*, Geography A*, English Language and Literature A

I have no way of visiting either of these unis

Either Sheffield or Nottingham would probably be my 'safest' option out of the 5 unis

I did originally consider UCL instead of Cardiff but I feel like I would fit into Cardiff better

Or am I aiming to low considering my predicted grades, would I be better off applying somewhere like Bath or Exeter to fill this gap.

And just on the off chance anyone is doing this course, is Psychology with American Studies better than just straight Psychology at Sussex?

Sorry for all the questions etc I'm just having a tricky time deciding and could really use any input from someone other than my parents at this stage! Thanks!
Reply 1
In terms of the course, they will pretty much be exactly the same as they have to be accredited by the BPS so will both contain the same topics!

I think Nottingham has an overall better reputation than Sheffield does so that might be something to consider. I haven't been to Notts but I did visit Sheffield and well, I wasn't wowed by it! It's got a good student union and everything but I just personally didn't like it...it was a bit too industrial for me. However, I haven't been to Notts so I can't really compare them!

Yeah you're grades are really good but if Cardiff is your favourite then there is no point applying to Exeter or Bath "just because you can" if you weren't originally that wowed or attracted to them! However if you do really like them, I would apply to either Bath or Exeter as you have a shot of getting an offer with those grades (provided you're personal statement/reference is good ofc)! Because I think Sussex, Leeds and Rhul are pretty "safe" anyway!

Sorry if I haven't been particularly helpful!
Reply 2
You have been helpful thank you!

I've decided to go with Nottingham now anyway as I think it is the best option for me!

I think I am just going to stick with Cardiff because even though Bath sounds fantastic it is not much different from Cardiff and I think I would prefer to be in a larger city!

Still haven't completely decided between Psychology or Psychology with American Studies at Sussex though...
Reply 3
Original post by lucyholly
You have been helpful thank you!

I've decided to go with Nottingham now anyway as I think it is the best option for me!

I think I am just going to stick with Cardiff because even though Bath sounds fantastic it is not much different from Cardiff and I think I would prefer to be in a larger city!

Still haven't completely decided between Psychology or Psychology with American Studies at Sussex though...

Glad I could be of assistance!

I don't know what American studies is but I'd say if you want to go into something psychological like clinical then yo better of doing straight psychology!

All the best with your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by lucyholly
Hi,

I'm still getting used to this site so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place or something!

Basically, I have picked 4 unis (Cardiff, Leeds, RHUL, Sussex) I want to study psychology at next year but I just cannot decide whether to choose Sheffield or Nottingham as my 5th choice.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any help regarding the courses at both of these unis, whether there is an option to study abroad, and what the cities are like for students, best career opportunities, just generally which one is considered better.

These notes about myself might help:

I am rather more interested in the social/developmental side of psychology rather than the biological etc.

I would quite like the option to study abroad.

I want a good social life in uni and I really enjoy going to gigs etc.

My predicted grades are; psychology A*, Geography A*, English Language and Literature A

I have no way of visiting either of these unis

Either Sheffield or Nottingham would probably be my 'safest' option out of the 5 unis

I did originally consider UCL instead of Cardiff but I feel like I would fit into Cardiff better

And just on the off chance anyone is doing this course, is Psychology with American Studies better than just straight Psychology at Sussex?

Sorry for all the questions etc I'm just having a tricky time deciding and could really use any input from someone other than my parents at this stage! Thanks!

At whatever uni you go to that follows the BPS accreditation scheme for psychology, you will largely study all modules of psychology, from developmental/social to bio/neuropsychology. I'm at Nottingham myself, and the first semester is social, cognitive and stats, with the next semester being biological, developmental and stats. Nottingham also offers a year abroad scheme - I believe they pay for most of it, but you need to attain at least 60% in your first year. That's something I'm wanting to do too :P
Nottingham has an amazing social life, it's right in a big city so the social aspect isn't an issue. Loads of venues for gigs are situated nearby too, such as Rock City. Your grades will be absolutely fine; I was predicted AAA and given an AAB offer and got in with A*AB.

I know you said you've already picked it, but just thought it'd help by reinforcing that you made the right choice :smile:
Original post by Alien41
In terms of the course, they will pretty much be exactly the same as they have to be accredited by the BPS so will both contain the same topics!

I think Nottingham has an overall better reputation than Sheffield does so that might be something to consider. I haven't been to Notts but I did visit Sheffield and well, I wasn't wowed by it! It's got a good student union and everything but I just personally didn't like it...it was a bit too industrial for me. However, I haven't been to Notts so I can't really compare them!

Yeah you're grades are really good but if Cardiff is your favourite then there is no point applying to Exeter or Bath "just because you can" if you weren't originally that wowed or attracted to them! However if you do really like them, I would apply to either Bath or Exeter as you have a shot of getting an offer with those grades (provided you're personal statement/reference is good ofc)! Because I think Sussex, Leeds and Rhul are pretty "safe" anyway!

Sorry if I haven't been particularly helpful!

Third year topics (once you've covered all the basic requirements) will differ quite a lot between unis.

Quick Reply

Latest