The Student Room Group
Reply 1
thatsthebadger
anyone else do OCR - advancing physics?
Anybody know some good websites that explain polarisation well? or perhaps they could explain it? as the book is pretty crap at explaining it. Also using carrier waves (am and fm etc) as iam quite stuck in understanding these ideas.

cheers

Search for a site called Hyper Physics as that sometimes has some good stuff on. if you still don't get it, post againa nd I'll attempt to explain it to you!
polarisation is basically (i.e. at a-level standards) the orientation through which a transverce wave is vibrating [as you should know, in a transverse wave the vibrations are perpendicular to the direction of motion of the wave]. for example, imagine a (transverse) wave moving through the x-y-z coordinate system, with its direction of propagation (i.e. the direction it is moving) along the z-axis. then the actual vibrations of the wave (be it a string or an electromagnetic field or etc) could be moving in the x-axis direction, or in the y-axis direction, or in any direction in the x-y plane, because the x-y plane is always perpendicular to the z-axis, and so satisfy the conditions that the wave is transverse. (you can even have circular-polarised waves where the direction of polarisation rotates through the x-y plane).

Latest

Trending

Trending