The Student Room Group

Electrical engineering pr0spects in the uk?

Hi everyone,

with an electrical engineering degree from a top uk uni like imperial/ucl
#

what job prospects are there for me in the future, where can I work? how much can I earn?

one last question, do electrical engineering graduates become electricians, some electricians I have spoken to said they didn't even go to uni so im abit confused.
Original post by oranjuice
Hi everyone,

with an electrical engineering degree from a top uk uni like imperial/ucl
#

what job prospects are there for me in the future, where can I work? how much can I earn?

one last question, do electrical engineering graduates become electricians, some electricians I have spoken to said they didn't even go to uni so im abit confused.

I think the electricians you're thinking about are the ones that sort out the wiring in your house...
Reply 2
Original post by oranjuice

First lesson in engineering:

Your title will be belittled because people confuse "engineer" with "mechanic". Mechanical engineers do not fix your boiler and electrical engineers will not solely do the wiring in your house. I've even seen "bodywork engineers" who fix up cars... It's most likely just a title to beef up their image. This is not to demean the job they do, but there is an element of marketing involved in making it sound like you're hiring someone with great academic prestige.

"Engineers" will go into creating new systems and developing technology. If you look at UCL/Imperial, they will show the course content and explain what that subject will lead to... For instance, circuits, simulations, nano-electronics, control systems, etc.

Regarding career prospects, look at UniStats. A BEng Electrical & Electronics engineer from Imperial will typically go on to get a graduate salary of £28,000 within 6 months of graduating and over 80% will continue to work or study within 6 months of graduating.

The prospects aren't bad at all.

Quick Reply