The Student Room Group

Math studies/ Maths SL?

I was wondering if you all could give me a few heads up on the subject choices I've made so far for IBDP? With an interest in pursuing a law/politics/international relations/ or PPE degree, these are my near-final subject choices:

HL: English Lit, History, Psychology
SL: Maths (studies or SL?), Chinese B, Biology

I know that because most of the university majors mentioned above do not involve math, I can get into universities like Oxbridge even with math studies (though it is highly unlikely ) . However, because of the "E" component (Economics) in PPE, would it be better to do math SL than math studies? Personally I am all for doing SL maths (as it looks better than math studies on transcripts/ does not limit my options as much), but taking into account that I am currently scoring high 4s/low 5s in MYP maths (if that helps in any way), I feel that I may be better off doing math studies? Thank you!
Take SL, trust me, it is not extremely hard. Just put in a good number of hours on it and it will reward you well. Most unis don't like the "Math Studies" just sitting there on your diploma. SL Math looks good. Take it as a challenge. :wink:
Reply 2
Law is a less math intensive course and hence any math studies will do. It is better do math SL as the above post said, because universities will look at they type of the courses you have taken and as for competitive places like Ox bridge impression counts. But if you want to take Economics, math Hl or SL is must. If math is good for you take SL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending