The Student Room Group

Too Old?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ebony19
Aw brill. Good luck :smile:

Thank you :smile:
I went to uni for a little while this year before deciding it wasn't for me (hadn't thought enough about the career I wanted). There was a guy there who was not only studying for a degree at 29, but was living in halls of residence with 18/19 year olds! He seemed to be having a great time, getting on with his work as well as enjoying the "freshers" lifestyle. Obviously, that won't be what all mature students want (I am 18 and I hated all the drinking :tongue:) but just to prove the point that he was fitting in well!
Original post by tazpafc
Hi Guys
Recently found this site and there is a lot of helpful advice. Just would like to know peoples opinions on whether they think 30 is too old to start higher education. Lets just say the past 5 or 6 years have been manic. I suffer from mental health difficulties, have had problems with drugs and alcohol in the past but the last year has been great. Iv seen life in a brighter light and really want to succeed in life. I have applied for a access to higher education course in computers as i would like to go to uni after completing this to take a software development course. Just worrying whether i am getting too old to be starting this now or whether i should just go for it.

No! Do it! I'm holding onto the idea that if I don't like what I'm doing when I'm 30, I'll go back to uni and train as something else. :biggrin: Good luck - that kind of thing makes me happy.
I'm currently on placement doing software development, it's a great field to be in so I wish you the very best in getting there.
Reply 24
Original post by tazpafc
Hi Guys
Recently found this site and there is a lot of helpful advice. Just would like to know peoples opinions on whether they think 30 is too old to start higher education. Lets just say the past 5 or 6 years have been manic. I suffer from mental health difficulties, have had problems with drugs and alcohol in the past but the last year has been great. Iv seen life in a brighter light and really want to succeed in life. I have applied for a access to higher education course in computers as i would like to go to uni after completing this to take a software development course. Just worrying whether i am getting too old to be starting this now or whether i should just go for it.

Definitely not too late. My mum has just completed a degree in her 40s after doing an access course and has just got a job.

So if you are motivated enough then go for it.
Same my mother is just about to complete a degree in mental health nursing and she's 41.. It's never to late to go into higher education go for it :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Our uni hosted courses for elderly people and there were lots of in their 60s learning foreign languages :tongue: It's never too late to study :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Shelly_x
On an open day at Chester they had an 80yr old woman on one of their courses. So no, it's never too late.

Chester is such a respectable university, is it not ... ?
Reply 28
Original post by Where'sPerry?
I went to uni for a little while this year before deciding it wasn't for me (hadn't thought enough about the career I wanted). There was a guy there who was not only studying for a degree at 29, but was living in halls of residence with 18/19 year olds! He seemed to be having a great time, getting on with his work as well as enjoying the "freshers" lifestyle. Obviously, that won't be what all mature students want (I am 18 and I hated all the drinking :tongue:) but just to prove the point that he was fitting in well!

Thanks Perry. There will be no alcohol touching my lips im afraid :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by BeautifulPotato
No! Do it! I'm holding onto the idea that if I don't like what I'm doing when I'm 30, I'll go back to uni and train as something else. :biggrin: Good luck - that kind of thing makes me happy.

Thankyou very much. I'm feeling exited about this new journey :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by TheSilentBang
I'm currently on placement doing software development, it's a great field to be in so I wish you the very best in getting there.

Thanks a lot. Glad your're enjoying it and i hope i do as well
OP, you're never too old/young to achieve anything you work super hard for, it doesn't come easy but if you work hard enough (you'll know when you have), you'll get there. I've learnt that time and time again.
Reply 32
Original post by Marinaawesome
Same my mother is just about to complete a degree in mental health nursing and she's 41.. It's never to late to go into higher education go for it :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou
Original post by TheSilentBang

So am I! where are you working? I'm doing mine at Accenture.
Reply 34
Thankyou. For some reason at 30 years old i'v been thinking im too old and my life is basically over. I don't think it helps when over the years i have been trying to get on an apprenticeship, but am always getting refused (due to age) which they say it's not but it is. There is hardly any funding out there for my age group and all you hear the goverment really talking about is the youth need this and that which is fair enough, they do, but so do we and for years now basically since leaving school all i have done is work in construction and lately re evaluating my life i'v asked myself, "do i even enjoy this" and i think the answer is no. That is why i'v chosen this route and my the replys on here is wiped clear the doubt in the back of my mind and has got me exited inside about starting this new journey. I'm happy on a PC, why not have a career doing it.:smile:
I started my degree when I was 23/24. Most people in the lectures were 18-25 but there were a good few in their 30s, a few in their 40s and one or two even older than that.

It's normal.
Original post by Ebony19
There may be some annoying kids don't let them put you off.

To be honest, people with this attitude are the main reason that mature students struggle to integrate. If you're signing up to the same course, don't make it an "us and them" situation. Nobody is a "kid" when they start uni.

On my course, there were the vast majority who were between 18-20 and then a huddle of mature students in the corner who were 30-50. I have to say that, without fail, there was more talking, laughing and disruption from their corner than there ever was from the younger students. But that wasn't to do with anybody's age, rather it was the mix of personalities in the group that they were in.

My best friend at uni started when she was 49, I was 19 (only just, didn't take a gap year) and age has never EVER been a problem or barrier in our friendship. You'll find that it isn't the younger students who make it an issue most of the time - it's the older students being self conscious and physically separating themselves from the main body of students. I've been into many lectures in my time, and almost without fail there have been the mature students huddled in the front corner.

Long story short, it's NEVER too late, and there is NO reason why you shouldn't make friends on your course.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think what you have to remember that although you feel too old right now, how would you feel in ten years' time if you didn't pursue it? I think you'd look back and think "actually thirty was really young. Why did I think I was too old?"

So go ahead now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending