The Student Room Group

Would you stay with your current boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse if...

I came across this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2479013/Couple-wed-despite-odds-grooms-debilitating-accident-make-touching-video-incredible-love-story.html?ICO=most_read_module

which shows how a loyal girlfriend married her boyfriend even after he suffered extreme brain damage and became disabled. I thought it was sweet and dream of having such a loyal and loving wife one day.

My question to TSR is, would you remain with your current partner if they went through the same thing? No judginess from me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

I stopped reading here.
Original post by vuhsachee
I stopped reading here.

Luckily OP summed up the article so you don't have to actually read the DM eh.
Reply 3
If my girlfriend went through that i would stay :smile:
Just like Chris Medina.

But myself? Well, I don't think I'd know unless I faced the situation itself. I could say a promise, but it wouldn't mean anything until I either fulfilled or abondoned it.

The choice that I would take? I don't know.
I think I would.
Reply 6
Original post by vuhsachee
I stopped reading here.

I had a feeling someone would say that, (because TSR is just that original) which is why I summed it all up in the OP.
Original post by Munrot07
If my girlfriend went through that i would stay :smile:

I had a feeling you'd reply lol
Reply 7
Obviously it's very difficult to give a definite answer as I've never been in that situation. Having said that, I love my boyfriend immensely and I can't imagine leaving him if something of that nature happened to him.
Reply 8
Interesting responses so far. No one has claimed that they'd leave their other half yet…
I know that that isn't a true representation. Anyone have the balls to admit that they'd leave?
Reply 9
To be honest, if he could barely talk or look after himself, or if he recovered but was as if his personality were a different person, I'd probably end the relationship. I'd like to help support him and his family, but I think marrying him would give me too stressful a life. I wouldn't be happy.
Reply 10
The thing is, if someone ends up being brain damaged, it affects their personality (usually) and a personal with a differnet personality is not the same person as the person I fell in love with so probably not.
Reply 11
Original post by Orthonym
To be honest, if he could barely talk or look after himself, or if he recovered but was as if his personality were a different person, I'd probably end the relationship. I'd like to help support him and his family, but I think marrying him would give me too stressful a life. I wouldn't be happy.

Original post by Serano
The thing is, if someone ends up being brain damaged, it affects their personality (usually) and a personal with a differnet personality is not the same person as the person I fell in love with so probably not.

I'd agree with you 2 if their personality had changed. A lot of the time though, they're unable to express themselves so you won't know whether their personality has changed or not. How would you react if they still showed signs of affection towards you but they seemed different?
Reply 12
I'd like to think so, but it's difficult to say anything for certain, because I don't know how I would feel. I think a lot would depend on how he was - if I could still recognise in him the person I knew, and saw signs that he wanted me to be with him.

I'd hate to take advantage of him in such a state. What if he didn't want to be with me and couldn't make that clear?

If he did indeed still love me and want to be with me, I'd like to think that I'd be there for him. It would be hard, though, having all that responsibility for the well-being of two people, instead of the mutual support we give the other now. I'm not sure if I could be that strong for years on end.

Perhaps watching him make progress, like this guy in the story, would help, because where there is progress, there's hope.
Reply 13
Wouldn't know 'til I experienced it. I could go either way depending on the person/how in love I was/if their personality changed or any number of different variables.
Probably not:

I am disabled myself and could not look after someone who is disabled.
Reply 15
Now, honestly no I wouldn't. I support many individuals who have brain injuries in my line of work and it's hard work and I greatly admire that lady in the article.

That being said, I've only ever been in love once (he died) and I'd have stuck with him through anything that was thrown at us so I most likely would have stayed with him if he'd have had a brain injury. The lack of communication and the severity of the disability would be tough, but love is love.

I'm one big contradiction. I don't know.
I would remain friends with him forever because I simply cannot imagine my life without him. If there were no chance of a cure however, I can't see how a marriage would work. It is truly amazing what that woman is doing, but to think that down the line, she could wind up with a really bad illness and she wouldn't have the support of her partner, and worse, she'd have to support her partner over herself? It's too much for one person to handle. It also removes the possibility of having children and grandchildren unless you want to act as a single parent.

I think friendship would be the very best way to go. I wish I could say that I would stick through it, but if communication became that much of a challenge and personality changed that drastically, it's not the same man I fell in love with.
I work pt with people with brain injuries, and while its massively rewarding, its also really hard work. You need time off, and having to deal with a hypothetical bf all the time with those problems would be really hard. I don't think I could do it.
yes absolutely. our vow was forever and a day. I intend to do just that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
yes absolutely. our vow was forever and a day. I intend to do just that

Posted from TSR Mobile

But...but that doesn't make sense?! Forever is infinite a day more is in itself impossible so your chances of getting there are nil, no matter what your intentions :confused:

My logitian's brain is not computing that one I'm afraid :confused:

And OP yes I would.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending