The Student Room Group

How to Revise Best for Gov & Pol (AS)?

Hey Everyone,

What is the best way to revise for Government and Politics at AS?
What methods suited you if you have done your AS or what do you do to revise?

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Hey!

I took OCR Government and Politics AS - although the content of the courses may be a little different the exams are practically identical. I bought a textbook and revision guide and just memorised the content of the 3 compulsory topics which I knew could come up and the 1 uncompulsory question which I knew I wanted to answer.

Gov and Pol AS is basically about learning lists and just listen to the news once a day and you'll be fine. You can easily pick up relevant examples close to the exam.

I would advise to revise little and often though because there's quite a lot of content to learn.

Hope this helps! (I got an A by using these methods)!
Original post by sophiehx
Hey!

I took OCR Government and Politics AS - although the content of the courses may be a little different the exams are practically identical. I bought a textbook and revision guide and just memorised the content of the 3 compulsory topics which I knew could come up and the 1 uncompulsory question which I knew I wanted to answer.

Gov and Pol AS is basically about learning lists and just listen to the news once a day and you'll be fine. You can easily pick up relevant examples close to the exam.

I would advise to revise little and often though because there's quite a lot of content to learn.

Hope this helps! (I got an A by using these methods)!

Thank you OP and thank you, you (this was helpful). Now can you please help me with this one question: I have been told to log the most important daily British political events. And that my log should be no more than two paragraphs per week. Now, how do I tell the difference between what is more important and what is not?-
nb: I've been told to write about: A)Political controversies, B)Cabinet reshuffles, C)Elecdtion results, D)New legislation D) Changes in the policies of the main parties. Where do I find out about D?
:frown:
How do I know what is
Reply 4
Original post by Jasmine1992
Thank you OP and thank you, you (this was helpful). Now can you please help me with this one question: I have been told to log the most important daily British political events. And that my log should be no more than two paragraphs per week. Now, how do I tell the difference between what is more important and what is not?-
nb: I've been told to write about: A)Political controversies, B)Cabinet reshuffles, C)Elecdtion results, D)New legislation D) Changes in the policies of the main parties. Where do I find out about D?
:frown:
How do I know what is

Okay so basically just get a blank word document and search the BBC, guardian online and telegraph as often as you can for things you think might be good. Copy the hyperlinks into the word document and write next to it the topic you think it could relate to e.g. prime ministerial power. When you come to revise you can look through this document and you can pick out the most relevant and interesting stuff!

READ POLITICS REVIEW - I cant express how much this helped me in my exam. It costs £12 a year I think but you can easily convince your school to subscribe.
Okay so basically just get a blank word document and search the BBC, guardian online and telegraph as often as you can for things you think might be good. Copy the hyperlinks into the word document and write next to it the topic you think it could relate to e.g. prime ministerial power. When you come to revise you can look through this document and you can pick out the most relevant and interesting stuff!

READ POLITICS REVIEW - I cant express how much this helped me in my exam. It costs £12 a year I think but you can easily convince your school to subscribe.

Yup £12, my school subscribed too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Olympiad
Yup £12, my school subscribed too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there,

There are multiple 'Politics reviews' that have come out of my search.

Is this the correct one?: http://politicsreview.co.uk/ (it's the only one with exactly the same name). If it is not the correct one, can you provide me with a link, please.

Thank you!:biggrin: Now there is a slight problem.

''There are multiple 'Politics reviews' that have come out of my search.
Is this the correct one?: http://politicsreview.co.uk/ (it's the only one with exactly the same name). If it is not the correct one, can you provide me with a link, please.''

nb: I asked the other user first because I did not want to trouble you more unless I needed to
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Thank you!:biggrin: Now there is a slight problem.

''There are multiple 'Politics reviews' that have come out of my search.
Is this the correct one?: http://politicsreview.co.uk/ (it's the only one with exactly the same name). If it is not the correct one, can you provide me with a link, please.''

nb: I asked the other user first because I did not want to trouble you more unless I needed to

Yes this is the correct one and no worries! If there's anything else I can help you with please don't hesitate to ask :smile: (DM or on here)!
Reply 9
http://magazinesonline.philipallan.co.uk/

Oops! No sorry that isnt the correct link. The one above is:smile:
http://magazinesonline.philipallan.co.uk/

Oops! No sorry that isnt the correct link. The one above is:smile:

Thanks. You didn't happen to do Aqa English Lit (A0 or Edexcel Gov and Politics did you?
Reply 11
Thanks. You didn't happen to do Aqa English Lit (A0 or Edexcel Gov and Politics did you?

No sorry! The best advice I can give you for politics is watch the threads on here because people sometimes post links to great resources. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 12

Quick Reply

Latest