The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should incest be legal?

This seems to be one area where my opinion vastly differs from the majority of people - I believe incest should be legal. Let me explain;

The idea of two closely related people having sex does make me feel a bit queasy, but that is absolutely not sufficient grounds to stop two consenting adults from choosing who they have sex with. People used to feel this way about homosexuality, but we now acknowledge that whether it disgusts you or not, it is not your business to dictate who a consenting adult chooses to have sex with.

People frequently argue that the increase in birth defects in children conceived from incestuous relationships is grounds for banning such relationships but I do not think this is legally consistent. The law does not try to prevent known carriers of any genetic conditions (Duchennes Muscular Dystrophy for example) from having children, despite the vastly increased risk of birth defects. We simply offer these people genetic counselling and allow them to make an informed decision for their own family. In addition, the law currently forbids same sex incestuous relationships which have no potential to produce offspring.

I believe the most compelling argument against incestuous relationships is the risk of children being groomed by parents for sexual relationships. I certainly believe the law needs to protect children, but it would make more sense to me to make it illegal for a person to engage in a sexual relationship with someone who had a position of responsibility or authority over them as a child (which may include the parents, but not necessarily and could also include teachers, foster carers etc.) than a simple blanket ban on sexual relationships with all genetically related people.

What are your thoughts on this subject? Should all incestuous relationships be illegal, or should the law not interfere in adults' personal relationships? I'd be interested to hear your reasons why/why not or any disagreements you have with the points I've raised :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ooh, I think you raise some good points but I think it comes down to personal views.

Mine is no because of the risks due to children but I also think that people with hereditary diseases should have kids. Considering we're become more 'liberal' I wouldn't be surprised if many years on if it becomes fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Yes.
If gay sex isn't illegal, I don't see why incest is illegal.
Reply 4
Original post by Jubz1
Ooh, I think you raise some good points but I think it comes down to personal views.

Mine is no because of the risks due to children but I also think that people with hereditary diseases should have kids. Considering we're become more 'liberal' I wouldn't be surprised if many years on if it becomes fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about same sex incestuous relationships? Or heterosexual incestuous relationships where a reliable form of contraception is used (mirena coil, nexplanon etc.)?
Reply 5
Original post by tibbles209
This seems to be one area where my opinion vastly differs from the majority of people - I believe incest should be legal. Let me explain;

The idea of two closely related people having sex does make me feel a bit queasy, but that is absolutely not sufficient grounds to stop two consenting adults from choosing who they have sex with. People used to feel this way about homosexuality, but we now acknowledge that whether it disgusts you or not, it is not your business to dictate who a consenting adult chooses to have sex with.

People frequently argue that the increase in birth defects in children conceived from incestuous relationships is grounds for banning such relationships but I do not think this is legally consistent. The law does not try to prevent known carriers of any genetic conditions (Duchennes Muscular Dystrophy for example) from having children, despite the vastly increased risk of birth defects. We simply offer these people genetic counselling and allow them to make an informed decision for their own family. In addition, the law currently forbids same sex incestuous relationships which have no potential to produce offspring.

I believe the most compelling argument against incestuous relationships is the risk of children being groomed by parents for sexual relationships. I certainly believe the law needs to protect children, but it would make more sense to me to make it illegal for a person to engage in a sexual relationship with someone who had a position of responsibility or authority over them as a child (which may include the parents, but not necessarily and could also include teachers, foster carers etc.) than a simple blanket ban on sexual relationships with all genetically related people.

What are your thoughts on this subject? Should all incestuous relationships be illegal, or should the law not interfere in adults' personal relationships? I'd be interested to hear your reasons why/why not or any disagreements you have with the points I've raised :smile:

What people get up to is none of my business and it shouldn't be anyones. I agree with you to some extent, however I believe incestuous couples should not be allowed to have children as it would be morally wrong. Imagine the child growing up being bullied (kids are cruel along with society), alongside this laws would need to be in place like you said to prevent the child from being groomed if the couple where to have children (which I previously stated should be banned on the basis of the child being bullied possibly in the future and the increased potential of having birth defects).
Reply 6
I don't see why not. Doesn't it cause genetic mutations though? Like I heard you can end up with additional thumbs or extra fingers. I always thought to myself if my sister was really hot, then I'd probably do her lol. It would be even easier if we didn't grow up together.
Reply 7
Original post by Ben_K
What people get up to is none of my business and it shouldn't be anyones. I agree with you to some extent, however I believe incestuous couples should not be allowed to have children as it would be morally wrong. Imagine the child growing up being bullied (kids are cruel along with society), alongside this laws would need to be in place like you said to prevent the child from being groomed if the couple where to have children (which I previously stated should be banned on the basis of the child being bullied possibly in the future and the increased potential of having birth defects).

I definitely see where you are coming from, but I think dictating whether people can have children based on the chances of the child being bullied is quite a dark road to go down. You could argue that the children of overweight parents might get bullied, or children of parents who have physical deformities etc.
Yh sure if they're both consenting adults..

.but if you have kids with your family doesn't something bad happen?
Reply 9
Cersei, is that you?
I definitely see where you are coming from, but I think dictating whether people can have children based on the chances of the child being bullied is quite a dark road to go down. You could argue that the children of overweight parents might get bullied, or children of parents who have physical deformities etc.

Original post by Ben_K

You can have same sex couple adoption - they are just as likely to have their children bullied.
Reply 11
probably
Reply 12

Oh yeah for sure, I would find the child would be more likely to be bullied however through incestuous parents. Mainly because it would be completely abnormal in today's society. Good point though.
Reply 13
What is with incest and TSR. Why is there so many threads about it?
Reply 14
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
You can have same sex couple adoption - they are just as likely to have their children bullied.

Fair point. The way I see it is that a child derived from an incestuous relationships intercourse would be more likely to be bullied however. But yes very good point.
Original post by Ben_K

Its all about the view of society then isn't it. Say a gay couple adopt a child in a society where homosexuals are made fun of, the same would apply.
Reply 16
Original post by Memetics
What is with incest and TSR. Why is there so many threads about it?

I think it is probably because society as a whole (and TSR in particular) is becoming more liberal, and the prohibition on incestuous relationships seems quite a legally inconsistent restriction on personal freedom. There are parallels with society's treatment of homosexuality that are hard to ignore, though admittedly there are issues involved that make this a bit more complex.
No. It ruins the sense of security in a family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Truefaith

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please elaborate
Reply 19
Original post by Truefaith

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you expand a bit on what you mean by that?

Latest

Trending

Trending