The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should incest be legal?

Scroll to see replies

No. You will have a ****ed up family tree.

Reply 21
Original post by SecretDuck
No. You will have a ****ed up family tree.

Only if the incestuous couple is heterosexual, fertile and not using effective contraception and even in that case having a confusing family tree does not seem an adequate reason to actually legally interfere with an individual's right to decide who they have consensual sex with.
Reply 22
Original post by tibbles209
I think it is probably because society as a whole (and TSR in particular) is becoming more liberal, and the prohibition on incestuous relationships seems quite a legally inconsistent restriction on personal freedom. There are parallels with society's treatment of homosexuality that are hard to ignore, though admittedly there are issues involved that make this a bit more complex.

Like the retarded baby possibility by any chance? Yeah I know, but again, you can't conceive in a homosexual relationship. Many heterosexual incestuous couples need to think about the potential other life that they are influencing other than themselves.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Memetics
Like the retarded baby possibility by any chance? Yeah I know, but again, you can't conceive in a homosexual relationship. Many incestuous couples need to think about the potential other life that they are influencing other than themselves.

What about when people with brain issues have children? They are allowed to have children an in this case, the child is more likely to have a health issue than if 2 healthy relatives had a baby.
Only if the incestuous couple is heterosexual, fertile and not using effective contraception and even in that case having a confusing family tree does not seem an adequate reason to actually legally interfere with an individual's right to decide who they have consensual sex with.

The condom may break at one time and the woman may choose to keep the baby as it is her right. Then, it could very well be that you would be your own grandpa.
Reply 25
It's a difficult one. I've read stories about siblings who grew up separately, and when they finally met there was this overwhelming attraction. Genetic sexual attraction I think it's called. In such a case, I find it difficult to wag a finger at them, as they can't help it and it's not so different from two random people meeting and being attracted to the other.

My moral objections are for sexual relationships between parents and their children, grandparents - family members a child should be able to look up to and trust in fully, people they should always be able to turn to. To have these relationships complicated through sex feels very wrong. Even when the children are themselves adults, and therefore capable of making their own choices, family should be family, a safe circle of people where you can expect unconditional love.

There is also the issue of power. Our older relatives tend to have a certain level of power over us. We want their approval. We want their love. As mentioned above, we tend to look up to them. This can make any romantic/sexual relationship unequal.

Family life can be difficult enough as it is. Not every parent is loving and caring. That makes it all the more important to keep different kinds of relationships separate.

As for siblings who did grow up together, I still think it blurs the line between that family life and the lives we live outside of the family. It could bring with it a whole lot of undesirable complications. If you fall out, you don't just lose a partner, but a brother or sister. And the relationship itself will affect everyone else, too.

I think there are too many emotional dangers, and too many dangers of pressure and abuse to make it legal.
Reply 26
I think it's more acceptable if they use contraception. Gender preferences shouldn't be an issue as well, if they weren't siblings it wouldn't be an issue.

I think you have to consider the consequences such as children. Would they grow up to be bullied? Would they grow up with serious problems?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Like the retarded baby possibility by any chance? Yeah I know, but again, you can't conceive in a homosexual relationship. Many incestuous couples need to think about the potential other life that they are influencing other than themselves.

I absolutely agree that is an issue that heterosexual incestuous couple would have to think very carefully about before having children, but as I mentioned in the OP, we do not legally restrict the rights of carriers of serious genetic conditions to have sexual relationships, despite the very high change of genetic abnormalities. I believe this is an issue for the potential parents to make a decision on, with appropriate genetic counselling.
Original post by Ameliapond
Please elaborate

As in your family home should be a place where you should be comfortable talking about anything and doing anything. You should be able to let loose and relax. You wont feel as comfortable if incest is considered ok and that it is normal for it to happen between family members. It messes up the family. Family love should be kept away from spouse love.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could you expand a bit on what you mean by that?

Please see my other post:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Truefaith
As in your family home should be a place where you should be comfortable talking about anything and doing anything. You should be able to let loose and relax. You wont feel as comfortable if incest is considered ok and that it is normal for it to happen between family members. It messes up the family. Family love should be kept away from spouse love.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could adopt a child and then when he or she is old enough have sex. That is allowed.
Reply 31
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
What about when people with brain issues have children? They are allowed to have children an in this case, the child is more likely to have a health issue than if 2 healthy relatives had a baby.

Where are you getting that from? No the child has a quarter of a chance of having any hereditary condition any one parent may have. When an Incestuous couple have a baby, the child again has a quarter of a chance, due to the potential for two recessive genes. And there isn't just the chance of one condition, potentially hundreds could be in the genome, all it needs is for two to match.

In all cases, the parents need to put the childs life before their own, would you disagree?
I absolutely agree that is an issue that heterosexual incestuous couple would have to think very carefully about before having children, but as I mentioned in the OP, we do not legally restrict the rights of carriers of serious genetic conditions to have sexual relationships, despite the very high change of genetic abnormalities. I believe this is an issue for the potential parents to make a decision on, with appropriate genetic counselling.

In ALL cases, the parents should put the childs life first. If you're selfish enough to take that risk and potentially ruin your childs life you shouldn't be having children anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
You could adopt a child and then when he or she is old enough have sex. That is allowed.

It shouldnt be allowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where are you getting that from. No the child has a quarter of a chance of having any hereditary condition any one parent may have. When an Incestuous couple have a baby, the child again has a quarter of a chance, due to the potential for two recessive genes. And there isn't just the chance of one condition, potentially hundreds could be in the genome, all it needs is for two to match.

In all cases, the parents need to put the childs life before their own, would you disagree?

If both parents have the gene then the likely hood is even greater. If relatives cant have children, neither should people who have brain / medical conditions where their child has a large chance of being mentally handicapped. They should have the same laws applied. I believe both should be illegal.
It shouldnt be allowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it is allowed. The law in the UK is a joke.
Reply 34
Original post by alithegreat
Its all about the view of society then isn't it. Say a gay couple adopt a child in a society where homosexuals are made fun of, the same would apply.

Yeah, it's sad really. I think society is beginning to warm towards homosexuality though, although sadly there is still a lot of negativity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you won't feel as comfortable in a family environment if sex between members were allowed?

I'm comfortable talking about anything and doing anything as you put it around friends of which could be female. Sex between me and female friends is allowed. It doesn't mess up the friendship (there are exceptions).

The family is not messed up, there are far more messed up families that don't have incest. If it's with consent then it's fine.
If both parents have the gene then the likely hood is even greater. If relatives cant have children, neither should people who have brain / medical conditions where their child has a large chance of being mentally handicapped. They should have the same laws applied. I believe both should be illegal.

But it is allowed. The law in the UK is a joke.

Then that is really sad. They should be entitled to the same environment as normal children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by Kittiara
It's a difficult one. I've read stories about siblings who grew up separately, and when they finally met there was this overwhelming attraction. Genetic sexual attraction I think it's called. In such a case, I find it difficult to wag a finger at them, as they can't help it and it's not so different from two random people meeting and being attracted to the other.

My moral objections are for sexual relationships between parents and their children, grandparents - family members a child should be able to look up to and trust in fully, people they should always be able to turn to. To have these relationships complicated through sex feels very wrong. Even when the children are themselves adults, and therefore capable of making their own choices, family should be family, a safe circle of people where you can expect unconditional love.

There is also the issue of power. Our older relatives tend to have a certain level of power over us. We want their approval. We want their love. As mentioned above, we tend to look up to them. This can make any romantic/sexual relationship unequal.

Family life can be difficult enough as it is. Not every parent is loving and caring. That makes it all the more important to keep different kinds of relationships separate.

As for siblings who did grow up together, I still think it blurs the line between that family life and the lives we live outside of the family. It could bring with it a whole lot of undesirable complications. If you fall out, you don't just lose a partner, but a brother or sister. And the relationship itself will affect everyone else, too.

I think there are too many emotional dangers, and too many dangers of pressure and abuse to make it legal.

Thanks for the reply :smile: You raised some interesting points.

Your point that 'family should be family' and that complicating such relationships with sex being wrong is one that I agree with, however other adults may not and I do think that if they have the capacity to make such decisions for themselves then they should have that right.

The position of power being abused is definitely my biggest concern, but as per my OP, I think the law should focus on protecting people from sexual advances from those who held a position of authority or responsibility over the person when they were a child. While in most families this would include the parents this is not always the case, and it would include other non-related figures of authority/responsibility. As the law currently stands, your genes are what count.
Original post by NedStark
So you won't feel as comfortable in a family environment if sex between members were allowed?

I'm comfortable talking about anything and doing anything as you put it around friends of which could be female. Sex between me and female friends is allowed. It doesn't mess up the friendship (there are exceptions).

The family is not messed up, there are far more messed up families that don't have incest. If it's with consent then it's fine.

No i defiantly wouldnt.

But there normally is a difference between your relationship with friends and family. I know for me there is.

Someone has posted the possible family tree. Thats pretty messed up. I have already said why it harms the environment. If it was allowed or even worse happened would you ever be able to think of the family member the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39

In ALL cases, the parents should put the childs life first. If you're selfish enough to take that risk and potentially ruin your childs life you shouldn't be having children anyway.

Whether or not people who have a high risk of passing on a genetic abnormality should decide to have children is not really the point. The law currently allows carriers of genetic conditions to make that decision for themselves, and it would be legally inconsistent to ban incestuous relationships on that basis.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending