The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should incest be legal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I know I'll be seen as crazy if someone that knows me saw this, but to be honest, as long as both family members are having contraceptive sex (thereby avoiding Inbreeding), and mutual consent and maturity is involved, I don't see why it should be condemned. Not that I'd try it on any of my family members though.
Original post by Truefaith
No i defiantly wouldnt.

But there normally is a difference between your relationship with friends and family. I know for me there is.

Someone has posted the possible family tree. Thats pretty messed up. I have already said why it harms the environment. If it was allowed or even worse happened would you ever be able to think of the family member the same?
Posted from TSR Mobile

For some people their friends are closer than their family. Not everyone has the same view of family that you have. If incest is allowed no one is forcing it upon you or your family. It's just wrong to make it illegal for two consenting adults who know what they are doing and are fully prepared.

That family tree is exaggerated. It's not really incest is it? It's a step daughter and the lines of reasoning are a bit far fetched. Let's believe it for a second. So what? You don't exactly suffer from being your own Step-Grandfather. That's a useless thought.

I would think of the family member the same. Why would you be affected by what your family member does in the bedroom? I judge my relationship with family members on other things than their sexual life eg. how they treat me and others not who their partner is.
Reply 42
Original post by kenni12
I know I'll be seen as crazy if someone that knows me saw this, but to be honest, as long as both family members are having contraceptive sex (thereby avoiding Inbreeding), and mutual consent and maturity is involved, I don't see why it should be condemned. Not that I'd try it on any of my family members though.

You mentioned preventing inbreeding. Are your concerns about that to do with the risk of genetic abnormalities, or is it concern about the social impact of inbreeding?
No i defiantly wouldnt.

But there normally is a difference between your relationship with friends and family. I know for me there is.

Someone has posted the possible family tree. Thats pretty messed up. I have already said why it harms the environment. If it was allowed or even worse happened would you ever be able to think of the family member the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The exact same thing could be said for homosexuality, the same thing was probably said about interracial relationships 50 years ago. Your personal distaste is not a strong enough argument imo. And I'm still failing to see the logic about why being your own granddad is such a big issue...

Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
If both parents have the gene then the likely hood is even greater. If relatives cant have children, neither should people who have brain / medical conditions where their child has a large chance of being mentally handicapped. They should have the same laws applied. I believe both should be illegal.

Agree with this, if you're going to make incest illegal on the grounds that it increases the chance of inheriting dangerous genetic conditions, the same logic should be applied to two people who are going to reproduce who have the same medical condition.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NedStark
For some people their friends are closer than their family. Not everyone has the same view of family that you have. If incest is allowed no one is forcing it upon you or your family. It's just wrong to make it illegal for two consenting adults who know what they are doing and are fully prepared.

That family tree is exaggerated. It's not really incest is it? It's a step daughter and the lines of reasoning are a bit far fetched. Let's believe it for a second. So what? You don't exactly suffer from being your own Step-Grandfather. That's a useless thought.

I would think of the family member the same. Why would you be affected by what your family member does in the bedroom? I judge my relationship with family members on other things than their sexual life eg. how they treat me and others not who their partner is.

So what if it involved you and a parent? You would still look up to them in the same way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Felix Felicis
The exact same thing could be said for homosexuality, the same thing was probably said about interracial relationships 50 years ago. Your personal distaste is not a strong enough argument imo. And I'm still failing to see the logic about why being your own granddad is such a big issue...

Agree with this, if you're going to make incest illegal on the grounds that it increases the chance of inheriting dangerous dangerous genetic conditions, the same logic should be applied to two people who are going to reproduce who have the same meical condition.

Sorry what could be said for homosexuality?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really don't get why incest is illegal (and I'm happy that it's not in some countries - France, the Netherlands, etc.). Well, I do get why it's illegal, what I don't get is why it's illegal in this era of understanding and liberalism.

I like to think that most people would be fine with it being legalised, just not publicly. I saw a video in which Lawrence Krauss was met with gasps of shock from the entire audience at the suggestion that incest isn't "wrong", but in this thread there seems to be a lot of rational support for legalisation. The audience might not have been representative, or this thread might not be, but I like to stay positive :tongue:
Sorry what could be said for homosexuality?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it harms the environment. If it was allowed or even worse happened would you ever be able to think of the family member the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That.
Reply 48
Original post by tibbles209
You mentioned preventing inbreeding. Are your concerns about that to do with the risk of genetic abnormalities, or is it concern about the social impact of inbreeding?

Risk of genetic abnormalities sounds more important than the social impact of inbreeding, although even if that didn't apply, the child might grow up feeling ashamed of his/her genetic history because of the anti-incest society he/she is likely to leave in
(edited 10 years ago)
So what if it involved you and a parent? You would still look up to them in the same way?
Posted from TSR Mobile

It wouldn't involve me and a parent since I'm not interested in incest, I'm just against people saying it's wrong.

But let's say it did. Hypothetically speaking now. If I was close to engaging with a parent sexually then would I have been looking up to them in a different way to begin with? You would still look at them the same way and that'd be sexually. Of course you aren't born with these feelings, they just develop. Everyone changes their look on something throughout life. Is it so bad to look at someone differently?

For example, let's say a man and a woman are friends. Events occur and they end up happily married. Do they look at each other the same way? No. Is that a bad thing? No.
Why don't we legalise child sexual abuse by parents while we're at it. Bloody hell people get a ****ing hold of yourselves. Someone said something that stuck with me for a long time, first its the gays, then its incest, looks like its coming true. I weep for humanity!!
Original post by someonesomewherexx
Why don't we legalise child sexual abuse by parents while we're at it. Bloody hell people get a ****ing hold of yourselves. Someone said something that stuck with me for a long time, first its the gays, then its incest, looks like its coming true. I weep for humanity!!

Do you understand the meaning of consent​?
Original post by NedStark
It wouldn't involve me and a parent since I'm not interested in incest, I'm just against people saying it's wrong.

But let's say it did. Hypothetically speaking now. If I was close to engaging with a parent sexually then would I have been looking up to them in a different way to begin with? You would still look at them the same way and that'd be sexually. Of course you aren't born with these feelings, they just develop. Everyone changes their look on something throughout life. Is it so bad to look at someone differently?

For example, let's say a man and a woman are friends. Events occur and they end up happily married. Do they look at each other the same way? No. Is that a bad thing? No.

But if it wasnt legal in the first place less people would think about it.
Yes it is bad to think sexually about your parents. As i have said family love should be kept separate.

What if the women is the daughter of the man or visa versa. Then it would be bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That.

Ok.
But this is about the family environment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This pretty much sums it up

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do, but that will soon fly out of the window. I mean if people can think to legalise incest.
The world is crazy, keeps weeping.

Of course because that being part of the law will stop people from lying and saying they did consent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by kenni12
Risk of genetic abnormalities sounds more important than the social impact of inbreeding, although even if that didn't apply, the child might grow up feeling ashamed of his/her genetic history because of the anti-incest society they're likely to leave in

Do you believe people who are carriers of genetic abnormalities (for example a woman who is a carrier of Duchennes Muscular Dystrophy) should be legally prohibited from having sexual intercourse without contraception due to the higher risk of inherited abnormalities?

There are many reasons that a child may feel ashamed of their parents or family history, but this is not usually something that is considered in the context of law. I can understand why you are concerned about it though.
But if it wasnt legal in the first place less people would think about it.
Yes it is bad to think sexually about your parents. As i have said family love should be kept separate.

What if the women is the daughter of the man or visa versa. Then it would be bad.
Posted from TSR Mobile

That's like saying if drugs weren't legal then less people would take them. We don't know simply. People say legalizing drugs will reduce drug abuse but it's difficult to know. Some people might enjoy incest as it's taboo.

If the women and the man, her father in this case, were both adults and consenting then it isn't bad. Who are others to force restrictions on who consenting adults can and can't have sex with?
Reply 59

We are talking about consenting adults' rights to make decisions about their own personal relationships. Child sexual abuse involves harm of a person who is incapable of consenting to sexual activity and is a very different issue.

Latest

Trending

Trending