The Student Room Group

can't decide on my A-levels

soon i need to be choosing my a-levels and im having trouble cutting them down to 4.
my taster day is coming up and i have chosen to do history, classics, psychology, maths and biology
what would be the best combination out of those five as i dont know what career i want so i'm trying to chooses things i like and am good at
Reply 1
Original post by emmyylouise
soon i need to be choosing my a-levels and im having trouble cutting them down to 4.
my taster day is coming up and i have chosen to do history, classics, psychology, maths and biology
what would be the best combination out of those five as i dont know what career i want so i'm trying to chooses things i like and am good at

All 5 are very good subjects. The 'best' i guess would be cutting psychology out, but then again its not exactly a subject which admissions will reject you on the basis on. (Its probably easier than history/biology/classics)

Though Maths and History/Classics pretty much sets you up for many courses at universities such as Business, Economics, Law etc.

Good set of subjects i say.
Original post by emmyylouise

Government & Politics is not on there, I beg you have a look into doing it because it is genuinely the best subject you could pick. Just have a look into it anyway!
And as for psychology, check what board your school/college use for it. If it is WJEC do not pick it, as you literally just have to memorise a book, pretty much word for word, and regurgitate about half of it in the exam. However, it is a very interesting subject so check out the teachers and exam board as I know a psychology teacher who is absolutely amazing at it (unfortunately he"s not at my college!)
History is a good choice, it is very well regarded and also very interested and useful. Maths is supposed to be really useful (but for you clever types who can cope with that stuff!), so I would say if you are up to it then take it.
Reply 3
Thanks, that's given me a bit of confidence - knowing I'm on the right track!
Reply 4
Original post by bananaminion
Government & Politics is not on there, I beg you have a look into doing it because it is genuinely the best subject you could pick. Just have a look into it anyway!
And as for psychology, check what board your school/college use for it. If it is WJEC do not pick it, as you literally just have to memorise a book, pretty much word for word, and regurgitate about half of it in the exam. However, it is a very interesting subject so check out the teachers and exam board as I know a psychology teacher who is absolutely amazing at it (unfortunately he"s not at my college!)
History is a good choice, it is very well regarded and also very interested and useful. Maths is supposed to be really useful (but for you clever types who can cope with that stuff!), so I would say if you are up to it then take it.

I haven't even come across governement and politics! i dont think my sixth form does it but you sound so keen i might go and have a look

Quick Reply

Latest