The Student Room Group

Chester zoo interview help

Right so I assume there are many of you who have managed to get a placement at Chester zoo. I've got an interview tomorrow and was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on what I should expect. I've been reading about the zoo and potential question but was hoping there was someone who could help?

Thanks guys!
:emog:
Reply 1
I'd mention that you quite like animals.
Original post by A5ko

This is good. Maybe also mention that you like zoos.
Reply 3
Original post by A5ko

Original post by AwkwardLemur
This is good. Maybe also mention that you like zoos.

Hmmm I think the fact I've done a BSc in Zoology and am currently doing an MSc in zoo conservation biology probably covers those two points. But thanks for the advice anyways! :smile:
Original post by Ande-186
Right so I assume there are many of you who have managed to get a placement at Chester zoo. I've got an interview tomorrow and was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on what I should expect. I've been reading about the zoo and potential question but was hoping there was someone who could help?

Thanks guys!

Every interview is different even in the same field, so it's difficult to say what they may ask. I can't speak from personal experience of zoo interviews, but if they have already offered you a placement they probably just want to make sure you are a down to earth person and really interested in doing this. Hopefully it will be more of an informal chat than a grilling! They might ask about your educational history or clarifications of anything your wrote in your CV, what you're interested in, what previous experience you've had, how you feel this placement could benefit you or what you wish to get out of it. Be honest, and just try to be calm and collective and think before you speak. They may give you a brief tour, depending on if they have the time etc.

I would say that it is also your opportunity to ask them question if you would like to. If you are interested in a certain section(s) of the zoo, they might be able to arrange that for you, for example.
Reply 5
Original post by Ande-186

Thanks guys!

are you doing your MSc zoo conservation at MMU? If so, I have applied but I wanted to know more about the program. Also, I wanted to know if its competitive to gain admission.
Reply 6
I would also like to know more about the programme. I'm thinking of applying for 2014 but am worried about the job prospects. Ande-186 how have you found the MSc course and what do the job prospects seem like? nicsf have you managed to find anything out about the course? i can hardly find any info on it.
Reply 7
I have applied but still can't find much on it from former students.
Reply 8
Original post by nicsf
I have applied but still can't find much on it from former students.

Hi sorry that I missed all these messages. So yrah I got the placement but it seems that it is much easier to get it via this course as they basically bagsy 3 spots for people doing MSc Zoo conservation biology but you do have to then show an interest to the lecturer who organises it as he is the one who recommends you to chester.

Nicsf I will message you basically everything I sent to Kat1elb.
Reply 9
Hi, I know this is way after the last message was posted. But I have an interview for a placement at Chester Zoo tomorrow and was just wondering what kind of things they asked you?
Reply 10
Original post by Bben1234
Hi, I know this is way after the last message was posted. But I have an interview for a placement at Chester Zoo tomorrow and was just wondering what kind of things they asked you?

You'll probably get interviewed by Penny Rudd. She's very nice. She asked me about my experience, what I think being a keeper is about, what duties I think are involved with being a keeper. Asked me what my most proud moment was. Education. Basically chatting to find out your personality too. I was in there for over an hour but most of the time she was telling stories about herself. Dress smart and be formal but not stiff. You'll be fine. Good luck. It's amazing there! Be warned that there is an evident hierarchy and interns are very much at the bottom. Other than that it is one of the best placements I've ever done.
Reply 11
Apologies for a super late response to this but I'm struggling to find anything online at all! I'm applying for the MSc at MMU this year and if any of you guys had any information on the course you could give me I would appreciate it a lot!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending