The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering Pathway! HELP!!

Hi guys i was just wondering could people help me with my A-Level choices: well i have narrowed it down to a range on 5 subjects of which i want to pick 4 as 5 would be a big work load. I have picked Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and German, all can go hand in hand with each other but which one out of further maths or german should i pick or which would be more accredited for when applying for a place. And i feel that i can achieve an A* or A in any of the subjects. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by niza
Hi guys i was just wondering could people help me with my A-Level choices: well i have narrowed it down to a range on 5 subjects of which i want to pick 4 as 5 would be a big work load. I have picked Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and German, all can go hand in hand with each other but which one out of further maths or german should i pick or which would be more accredited for when applying for a place. And i feel that i can achieve an A* or A in any of the subjects. Thanks

If u think u can get A*/A in any of those subjects, maybe you should do all 5.
Reply 2
Original post by Vorsah
If u think u can get A*/A in any of those subjects, maybe you should do all 5.

Seeing as most universities make offers on just 3 subjects, 4 would be too much and 5 would just be unnecessary.

To the OP, what sort of engineering at you looking at doing? Maths and physics will be the major ones that you must have for a lot of courses. Further maths is not typically required (I think this is because it's not offered as course by colleges nationally), but it would give you a major advantage over a lot of other applicants.

If you're looking at doing chemical engineering, keep the chemistry. The German is probably not going to be needed though. Maths and physics should be your main priority.
Reply 3
I assume you are looking for 4 subjects to take to AS then drop one of those to A2?

Seeing as you're potentially looking at high grades as well I'd start off with Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chem to AS. This will probably keep most options open to you. After you have your AS results then review the situation but you'd likely carry forward Maths and Physics to A2 and then depending on grades and what course you decide to go for pick between FM or Chem to go with it.
Reply 4
maths, chemistry, further maths and physics.
Reply 5
Original post by SillyEddy
Seeing as most universities make offers on just 3 subjects, 4 would be too much and 5 would just be unnecessary.

To the OP, what sort of engineering at you looking at doing? Maths and physics will be the major ones that you must have for a lot of courses. Further maths is not typically required (I think this is because it's not offered as course by colleges nationally), but it would give you a major advantage over a lot of other applicants.

If you're looking at doing chemical engineering, keep the chemistry. The German is probably not going to be needed though. Maths and physics should be your main priority.

thanks a lot helped me make my decision but i would rather take 4 than just 3 cause if i get A's in all of then it will allow me to follow different pathways even if i change my mind
Reply 6
I would say either, Maths, Further maths, physics and chemistry or Maths, further maths, physics and German. Chemistry will keep more options open while German might add more variety to your subjects. Either way, any combination of these subjects is really good, for this reason, you should pick the subjects you enjoy the most and feel you can achieve the highest. Keep in mind though that some universities do prefer students to do Further maths if they had the option to pick it, at least to AS when it comes to engineering.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest