The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Mr...
Explains why the Year 9 thread is at the top of the stickies.

Yeah, I guess it does.
Original post by EmyJ14
Yeah, I guess it does.

But I'm year 10. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmyJ14
Hi! I'm another Year 11, and as our thread is literally dead (due to Skype), I'm invading others :tongue:

I do the usual compulsory subjects (Maths, English, Science), as well as Additional Maths, French, History and ICT/CiDA, and I did Italian last year. If you have any questions about these subjects, or general questions, feel free to ask me!
(Seriously, please do. I'm very bored! :wink:)

I'm in year 9, and I was wondering how Ad Maths is? Since I'm on the early maths gcse course, I have the option of ad maths in year 11 so what's it like and what topics do you study?
Also, how are the controlled assessments in French? I want to take it and wanted to know how hard or easy they were.
Sorry for the questions, I'm quite curious :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
Could you tell me give me a gcse grade for this analysis

The novel Animal Farm, written by George Orwell, has many meanings and having written the analysis prior to finishing the novel, I have developed a premature opinion of the text’s connotations. This is due to the fact that Orwell put hints of the novel’s many motifs including equality ceases to exist and that knowledge and its pursuit leads to dictatorship. The message that I noticed first was that equality; whether it is intellectual, religious or cultural will never exist due to not just human, but animalistic nature as well. In Animal Farm, the pigs dominated from the start even though they were oblivious to Old Majors “dictation” over the animals; however, the real superiority begins to unmask itself when Squealer convinced the animals that they needed the milk and apples because they were simply better. Why did no one contradict this statement? They were already deemed inferior from the start. In addition to my previous point, I believe that one of the book’s messages was too distinguish knowledge from intelligence. Old Major used his knowledge of Mr Jones tyranny to “lead” the revolution and that the pigs knowledge of how humans lived is was drove on their success as they again used that to gain superiority over the all animals... all but one. Benjamin. His pessimism and intelligence forced the pigs to not attempt to control him, as it would have been a long process probably altering the novels plot.

This is so weird! We have almost finished our topic of Animal Farm, I did my essay on Thursday :smile:

Good points:
Great use of vocab
Wider themes e.g. equality
Rhetorical so it is a interrogative piece

Even better if-

When you write an analytical essay it should always be third person- objective. No opinions, not even in the conclusion! :frown: yep upsetting...

what was the question/ topic of what you were writing? Its hard to judge what level/grade because I don't know the teacher's marking scheme. I would give it a 6-7 if it was in third. I'm nor sure though! Its really good!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
It just needed to be a paragraph on what I thought

Oh that's perfect then! I didn't know what to judge it on soz :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edit: A/A* (or level 7-8 as the equivalent)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi... Who else is in year 9? I'll add you too! :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by Mr...
Could you tell me give me a gcse grade for this analysis

The novel Animal Farm, written by George Orwell, has many meanings and having written the analysis prior to finishing the novel, I have developed a premature opinion of the text’s connotations. This is due to the fact that Orwell put hints of the novel’s many motifs including equality ceases to exist and that knowledge and its pursuit leads to dictatorship. The message that I noticed first was that equality; whether it is intellectual, religious or cultural will never exist due to not just human, but animalistic nature as well. In Animal Farm, the pigs dominated from the start even though they were oblivious to Old Majors “dictation” over the animals; however, the real superiority begins to unmask itself when Squealer convinced the animals that they needed the milk and apples because they were simply better. Why did no one contradict this statement? They were already deemed inferior from the start. In addition to my previous point, I believe that one of the book’s messages was too distinguish knowledge from intelligence. Old Major used his knowledge of Mr Jones tyranny to “lead” the revolution and that the pigs knowledge of how humans lived is was drove on their success as they again used that to gain superiority over the all animals... all but one. Benjamin. His pessimism and intelligence forced the pigs to not attempt to control him, as it would have been a long process probably altering the novels plot.

I'm not the greatest at judging grades for English (I dread peer or self marking in class), but what karmacrunch said seemed about right! :smile:

(I also cannot remember the numbered levels, it's been about two years since I last used them :tongue:)

Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
I'm in year 9, and I was wondering how Ad Maths is? Since I'm on the early maths gcse course, I have the option of ad maths in year 11 so what's it like and what topics do you study?
Also, how are the controlled assessments in French? I want to take it and wanted to know how hard or easy they were.
Sorry for the questions, I'm quite curious :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Additional Maths hasn't been too bad, I mean some bits are a little complicated but it's not that different to learning some of the harder things on GCSE maths. It does depends how easy or difficult you find Maths in general though- I know some members of my class are struggling a bit, while others aren't finding it too challenging. The Additional Maths I'm doing is the OCR FSMQ, and the topics we've done so far are quadratic equations, polynomials, the factor and remainder theorem, binomials and linear programming.

Personally, I find the French controlled assessments quite easy, as it's basically a case of learning something that you've put together from work marked by your teacher, but again, this is different from person to person. Generally, for the writing you just have to learn what you've written and write it out from memory, but with the speaking you need to be able to make things up a little because you get unexpected questions in order to get the highest grade.

Haha, I don't mind questions :smile:
[QUOTE="Midnightmemories;45541228"]
Original post by karmacrunch

I've done that.
I failed it because scales.. (And the fact that I had a panic attack in the middle of it didn't help, but yeah.)
Practice practice practice!
I got 94, and you need a 100 to pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I almost failed G5 piano. 103 because I mucked up on all pieces tons of times. Examiner really frightened me D:
[QUOTE="Elliwhi;45554012"]
Original post by Midnightmemories

I almost failed G5 piano. 103 because I mucked up on all pieces tons of times. Examiner really frightened me D:

The examiner frightened me as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any other yr9s? I'm bored and have revision... So ugh :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
Any other yr9s? I'm bored and have revision... So ugh :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in year nine :smile: so glad it's the last week before the Christmas holidays.. we've been having assemblies on gcse options, have you had things like that? So far it's been pe, languages and computing.
I'm in year nine :smile: so glad it's the last week before the Christmas holidays.. we've been having assemblies on gcse options, have you had things like that? So far it's been pe, languages and computing.

Hi! We haven't had anything! :frown: I'm very intrigued so I just search things myself :smile:
Instead we are having lots of tests and assessments! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

[QUOTE="Midnightmemories;45555661"]
Original post by Elliwhi

The examiner frightened me as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Luckily, my G6 examiner was so nice :O
Original post by Mr...
Exactly my situation

I'm pretty excited actually, people think it's weird though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in year 9 and I don't have a clue what I want to do with my life, except that I want to do something academic. I have to do maths, english, science, french and re.

The others that I have to choose from are:
dance,
drama,
music,
art,
spanish,
tech, it,
computer science,
pe,
history,
geography,
health and social,
performing arts.

I'm thinking about doing history, computer science and spanish. Are these good subjects to consider? Should I be choosing a 'fun option'? Have you guys been struggling with these subjects? Thank you :h:
Original post by DaisyTwilight
I'm in year 9 and I don't have a clue what I want to do with my life, except that I want to do something academic. I have to do maths, english, science, french and re.

The others that I have to choose from are:
dance,
drama,
music,
art,
spanish,
tech, it,
computer science,
pe,
history,
geography,
health and social,
performing arts.

I'm thinking about doing history, computer science and spanish. Are these good subjects to consider? Should I be choosing a 'fun option'? Have you guys been struggling with these subjects? Thank you :h:

I think they're fine! If you have an idea of what you want to be, take that into consideration.
Personally I do not like computer science because it is pretty hard for me to understand... But if you like it go for it! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
I feel you bro I find it so exciting and have looked at other schools'options and everything. My friends call me crazy.

Yep.... Also 'bro' meaning guy, girl or general.... Dude I'm a girl :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
When applying for colleges, do they look for balance and variation in the subjects that you pick? So is it better to show that you're good at academic things as well as more enjoyable subjects, rather than just one or they other?
Original post by Mr...
Colleges look for academic and enjoyable just get good grades and you will be set. What year are you.

9, but i'm really worried about choosing my options.

Latest