The Student Room Group

jobs for 16year olds yaaaaaaaay

hey, just finished gcses. Want a very part time summer job. Any ideas? also if you mention shops, how do I approach them, face to face, phone? And what kind of shops allow you to work with the when you're 16. Plus it would be very short notice and not for very long :biggrin:
Reply 1
Most shops will take you on, usually stores like m&s and tescos, superstores. I'd try all the ones you can though, no harm in giving them your CV or asking for an application form.

I suggest face-to-face, it shows more enthusiasm and confidence and you're probably more likely to get an interview that way. However some stores require you to go through set channels. For example Marks & Spencer requires you to apply online or by phone through their new application process.

Good luck!
Reply 2
My CV will be pretty crap though cos I don't have gcses yet. Might just not do the hwole CV thing :biggrin: but ta
Reply 3
34 person
My CV will be pretty crap though cos I don't have gcses yet. Might just not do the hwole CV thing :biggrin: but ta

So...erm...do yu just go up to some guy at a till/checkout and ask him if they have any job vanacies...or what? :colondollar:

-Rashid
Reply 4
34 person

Just put your predicted grades, thats what I did! :smile: The focus of the CV should be on your skills and past experience anyway. Mention your year 10 work experience. :smile:
Reply 5
34 person
hey, just finished gcses. Want a very part time summer job. Any ideas? also if you mention shops, how do I approach them, face to face, phone? And what kind of shops allow you to work with the when you're 16. Plus it would be very short notice and not for very long :biggrin:

Dont mention you will be very short notice. If you want jobs that fit around your life and are short term, then go for recruitment agencies

You could read the TSR Wiki on it at the bottom of my sig

Just put what GCSEs you are planning to take, many have application forms anyway.
Reply 6
You're probably more likely to get a job in september when shops will be employing extra staff to accomodate christmas. At the moment lots of people are looking for jobs but places are scarce and more experience people are more likely to get the jobs.
It's not impossible to get a job at this time of year, but I would say don't just give up after being turned down a couple of times, hand your CV out everywhere, write on it what your predicted grades are OR write "pending results".
Reply 7
do you think most jobs will have an application form? it just seems a bit cheeky walking in and handing them your CV...
Reply 8
R.J.A
do you think most jobs will have an application form? it just seems a bit cheeky walking in and handing them your CV...

You'll go in and say something like, "Hi, I was wondering if you have any job vacancies."

Then they'll go "Yes, bring in your CV" and you whip it out
Or "Yes, fill in this application form"
Or "No".
Reply 9
Juno
You'll go in and say something like, "Hi, I was wondering if you have any job vacancies."

Then they'll go "Yes, bring in your CV" and you whip it out.
Or "No".

'Whip it out' lol
Reply 10
I just got a job, and I'm 16 and I have no experience.

Basically:

1) Make your CV easy to read. My friend's stepmother is an employer and she GLANCES over them briefly and puts them into groups through that. Presentation is important. Try to change the generic layouts too: you wouldn't believe how many CVs look the same!

2) Be confident. The worst that can happen is they say 'No, sorry, we haven't got any vacancies'. However, only try shops that you actually like and buy things from, otherwise it might be difficult to convey enthusiasm in the interview, should one be required.

3) You don't need to put your mock grades on. I put on mine under 'Qualifications' "GCSE examinations taken and expecting the results in August.... etc". If you want something extra, just put 'passes expected in the following subjects...'

4) Make sure you have a reference, or two if you can. I put down my headteacher and the mother of someone I tutor sometimes.

And finally, shops won't be asking for people who are only interested in short term jobs when they have permanent job seekers at their disposal. Wait until Christmas if you really want a temp job.
Reply 11
Good advice :wink:

However, only try shops that you actually like and buy things from, otherwise it might be difficult to convey enthusiasm in the interview, should one be required.

Yeah I definitely agree with this

You don't need to put your mock grades on. I put on mine under 'Qualifications' "GCSE examinations taken and expecting the results in August.... etc". If you want something extra, just put 'passes expected in the following subjects...'

I think I wrote GCSEs.....(predicted x A*s and y A's)

Make sure you have a reference, or two if you can. I put down my headteacher and the mother of someone I tutor sometimes.

If they wanted a reference it would be on an application form wouldn't it??

And finally, shops won't be asking for people who are only interested in short term jobs when they have permanent job seekers at their disposal. Wait until Christmas if you really want a temp job.

As it says on the wiki article, when you apply for the job, don't mention that you are only temporary.
Reply 12
I think that they like the referees details on your CV because it means that they don't have to ask you for the details. Some stores don't have application forms too, so it's better to put down everything on your CV.
Reply 13
Hmmm, something to think about there. I'm gonna have to go into school on Monday and get a reference aren't I (:rolleyes: YES! :rolleyes:)
Reply 14
Just put the details down of the referee (i.e the address) and if they want a written reference they'll ask for it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending