The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Isn't it rude to call someone 'anorexic' as well as calling someone 'fat'?

When a person who isn't super skinny is judged and called 'fat' .. People tell them, 'you're far more attractive than those girls who are nothing but skin and bones.. That's disgusting' but aren't you also insulting girls who are naturally skinny? So why do people think it's okay to call someone unattractive because they're 'skin and bones' but not okay to call someone fat? Aren't they both as equally as hurtful?

Sorry for the strange question -- it popped into my mind because I see this happen a lot. Bigger people being complimented by others saying skinny individuals are unattractive. It could also be the other way around. It doesn't make sense.

Edit: I'm not really sure why I put this into the relationship thread, sorry. Accident.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's rude to make comments about anybody's appearance if you're using that particular characteristic as a negative.
THANK YOU. I am fairly thin and have been called "anorexic" many times in my life. Plus anorexia isn't a term to throw around, it's a horrible disorder that sadly people have to suffer from. I'm constantly hearing how "men prefer women with curves" etc. It's actually very hurtful, as I can't help the way I am. Barely anyone seems to care when thin girls are criticised for their weight, but anyone dares to criticise a larger girl, and it's wrong. I really don't understand it, people shouldn't be made to feel bad no matter their size :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
This is so annoying, anorexia is an illness, some people are really naturally skinny and can't help that. It is widely accepted in society that being skinny is bad so why do people think they can openly ask them or criticise them about it. People go "why are you so skinny?" the answer will be "I have an eating disorder" or "I can't help it."
Original post by whisperingtears
When a girl who isn't super skinny is judged and called 'fat' .. People tell them, 'you're far more attractive than those girls who are nothing but skin and bones.. That's disgusting' but aren't you also insulting girls who are naturally skinny? So why do people think it's okay to call someone unattractive because they're 'skin and bones' but not okay to call someone fat? Aren't they both as equally as hurtful?

Sorry for the strange question -- it popped into my mind because I see this happen a lot. Bigger girls being complimented by others saying skinny girls are unattractive. It could also be the other way around. It doesn't make sense.

Edit: I'm not really sure why I put this into the relationship thread, sorry. Accident.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am naturally skinny. When i was younger I would get insulted. People would call me anorexic. Then I would call them fat and everyone would have a go at me for being mean.

I was like WTF

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
THANK YOU. I am fairly thin and have been called "anorexic" many times in my life. I'm constantly hearing how "men prefer women with curves" etc. It's actually very hurtful, as I can't help the way I am. Barely anyone seems to care when thin girls are criticised for their weight, but anyone dares to criticise a larger girl, and it's wrong. I really don't understand it, people shouldn't be made to feel bad no matter their size :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. I too have been called 'anorexic' people don't seem to realise that it's an actual problem that affects many people. You can't just throw the word around as if it's nothing. All body shapes are fine, we shouldn't be judged. Glad someone gets me! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
LOL, how about my nickname is Skinny xD I really dont mind, but I always think its rude to call some 'Fatso' or 'Fat' but its alright to call people 'Skinny?!' Why is that? I eat a lot, its not my fault I dont gain anything -_-
Original post by MJ1012
This is so annoying, anorexia is an illness, some people are really naturally skinny and can't help that. It is widely accepted in society that being skinny is bad so why do people think they can openly ask them or criticise them about it. People go "why are you so skinny?" the answer will be "I have an eating disorder" or "I can't help it."

Yeah exactly! Some people find it hard to gain weight, that's not their fault. They shouldn't be criticised for not having 'curves' because they'll feel bad about their body shape.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AnimeCrazy
LOL, how about my nickname is Skinny xD I really dont mind, but I always think its rude to call some 'Fatso' or 'Fat' but its alright to call people 'Skinny?!' Why is that? I eat a lot, its not my fault I dont gain anything -_-

I eat a lot and don't gain either. It's hurtful to call someone 'skinny in a bad way' and 'fat' too. Why do people do it? It really sucks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
As a guy who eats a decent amount but can't put on weight, it really annoys me when people tell me to "go and have a good meal". It offends me just as much as it would offend me if I was overweight.

Quite annoying but I guess I'll get used to it until I get older and gain some weight!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem. I too have been called 'anorexic' people don't seem to realise that it's an actual problem that affects many people. You can't just throw the word around as if it's nothing. All body shapes are fine, we shouldn't be judged. Glad someone gets me! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Weird, I just edited my post to say practically that haha. Couldn't agree more! :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I eat a lot and don't gain either. It's hurtful to call someone 'skinny in a bad way' and 'fat' too. Why do people do it? It really sucks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! Totally agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undisclosed 15
I am naturally skinny. When i was younger I would get insulted. People would call me anorexic. Then I would call them fat and everyone would have a go at me for being mean.

I was like WTF

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww, both are very hurtful but I see your point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup, it is rude.

But I guess that 'fatness' has a more negative reputation than being skinny has. So it doesn't seem as bad to call someone skinny. :erm: Nevertheless, it's still rude.
Original post by MarkProbio
As a guy who eats a decent amount but can't put on weight, it really annoys me when people tell me to "go and have a good meal". It offends me just as much as it would offend me if I was overweight.

Quite annoying but I guess I'll get used to it until I get older and gain some weight!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah people always to tell me to go and eat fattening food or something or they'll be like 'don't you eat!?' Nope, I survive on water. Nothing but water. -.- *sarcasm*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maid Marian
Yup, it is rude.

But I guess that 'fatness' has a more negative reputation than being skinny has. So it doesn't seem as bad to call someone skinny. :erm: Nevertheless, it's still rude.

Yes I completely agree (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by judging
Me too! Totally agree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad you agree! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not just girls, get this all the time.
Original post by Mankytoes
Not just girls, get this all the time.

Yeah guys can get it too (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by MarkProbio
As a guy who eats a decent amount but can't put on weight, it really annoys me when people tell me to &quot;go and have a good meal&quot;. It offends me just as much as it would offend me if I was overweight.<br />
<br />
<br />
Quite annoying but I guess I'll get used to it until I get older and gain some weight!<br />
<br />
<font size="1"><a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app" target="_blank">Posted from TSR Mobile</a></font>
<br />
<br />
I find the go and have a good meal quote really offensive. It either means they think I have an eating disorder or I have lacked the the prosperity to eat well. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending