The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Isn't it rude to call someone 'anorexic' as well as calling someone 'fat'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It's nowhere near as bad as picking on someone for being fat. Being skinny doesn't have such a stigma.
Reply 41
Original post by SophiaKeuning
And I'd wish I was like you! Haha that's true. Screw what society wants though. It makes us both hate how our body works. When we'd both switch any time! Goes to show you just have to learn to accept yourself. :biggrin:

I guess. That's actually the most important thing, as soon as you learn to love yourself as you are (obviously within limits as obesity can harm you), then you'll overall be very happy. I'm still learning how not to wish I was someone else all the time...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
I have a feeling eventually the tables will be turned again and it will become more offensive to call someone thin rather than fat (since before it was always more offensive to be called fat). Both are mean things to say, unless it's in a polite manner in a relevant conversation (e.g if someone really is too thin/fat and they're talking about dietary needs, or something). As someone who's fat and had to deal with being bullied over that when I was little, I can say it's definitely no fun and we shouldn't tease people for how they look at all.

Although with this whole men liking women with curves thing, they're not fat, usually, they're slightly chubby, barely even overweight usually. The real fat ones still don't have people complimenting them. But still, really skinny people shouldn't be teased either, as some lucky people are naturally thin (oh how I wish I didn't gain weight easily, hah). People will always be dicks though, unfortunately.

Comparing anorexia and simply being thin is ridiculous, though. One's an actual disorder which can really badly affect people, one is just natural skinniness/bad diet/exercising issues, etc and can much easier be fixed (if it needs to be, that is).
Original post by SuziieB
I guess. That's actually the most important thing, as soon as you learn to love yourself as you are (obviously within limits as obesity can harm you), then you'll overall be very happy. I'm still learning how not to wish I was someone else all the time...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too, it's constant work. -.- I do wana gain 5 pounds, the annoying thing is I more or less reached that goal in the summer but now I'm back at uni I've lost it all! Euch.
Reply 44
Expecting someone to change their body shape is
I hate it when people say I'm too skinny, I'm the right bmi for my height

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AnimeCrazy
LOL, how about my nickname is Skinny xD I really dont mind, but I always think its rude to call some 'Fatso' or 'Fat' but its alright to call people 'Skinny?!' Why is that? I eat a lot, its not my fault I dont gain anything -_-

Original post by Undisclosed 15
I am naturally skinny. When i was younger I would get insulted. People would call me anorexic. Then I would call them fat and everyone would have a go at me for being mean.

I was like WTF

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to justify it, but it's widely accepted that in our society, being skinny/slim is a positive whilst being larger/"fat" isn't. A lot of people would consider being called skinny a compliment, which is why they may say it to other people, whilst being larger (for girls, at least) is normally not considered a more feminine/prettier thing. It's like a person with thin, straight hair who wants curly, thick hair complimenting a person with curly hair, when that person with curly hair may want straight hair.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by HongkongDreamer
I hate it when people say I'm too skinny, I'm the right bmi for my height

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let's neglect for a moment that the BMI scale is useless at best and harmful at worst.

The right BMI for your height?

The right weight for your height, you mean? Or the right BMI for your age? :confused:
Reply 48
Original post by whisperingtears
Yeah exactly! Some people find it hard to gain weight, that's not their fault. They shouldn't be criticised for not having 'curves' because they'll feel bad about their body shape.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Likewise, some people find it hard to lose weight, that's not their fault. They shouldn't be criticised for not being 'slim' because they'll feel bad about their body shape.

It's funny, I said that to my friend the other day and she was like, "no, but fat people are just using that as an excuse, whereas thin people are naturally skinny"... and that's when I realised what a massive double standard we have when it comes to body size. Sigh.
Reply 49
This has always annoyed me. I've been underweight literally my whole life and it's something I can't help. Because of being constantly picked on when I was younger and being reminded about being thin every single day, I used to hate my body and it took me a long time to accept it. It's just as hurtful to call someone skinny as it is to call someone fat, you never know if the person is happy with their body. I hate the double standards. Hearing all the "real women have curves" crap makes me so angry. Cause obviously I'm imaginary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Undisclosed 15
I am naturally skinny. When i was younger I would get insulted. People would call me anorexic. Then I would call them fat and everyone would have a go at me for being mean.

I was like WTF

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a friend who's on the 'chubby' side and so thinks its ok to call me a 'stick' which I find annoying as I'm not! It seems she just likes to say that because shes not 'skinny' as shes makes it clear she's not happy with her weight. But if I retort back saying shes fat, its suddenly unacceptable! It's sooooo annoying!
Reply 51
Original post by tree123
I have a friend who's on the 'chubby' side and so thinks its ok to call me a 'stick' which I find annoying as I'm not! It seems she just likes to say that because shes not 'skinny' as shes makes it clear she's not happy with her weight. But if I retort back saying shes fat, its suddenly unacceptable! It's sooooo annoying!

Why are you friends with this person? Sounds like she's an idiot.
Reply 52
Original post by grt
Why are you friends with this person? Sounds like she's an idiot.

Well to be honest she is a idiot when she says it but most of the time shes a decent friend!
Reply 53
I'm really skinny and I don't put on weight even though I eat as much as an other person, I've been called anorexic multiple times, when people say "you need to eat more" it really pisses me off because I'm 15 and being skinny at my age is not at all uncommon or weird. And when someone asks " why are you so skinny" I'm like...... what do you want me to say.
Original post by Aharv85
I'm really skinny and I don't put on weight even though I eat as much as an other person, I've been called anorexic multiple times, when people say "you need to eat more" it really pisses me off because I'm 15 and being skinny at my age is not at all uncommon or weird. And when someone asks " why are you so skinny" I'm like...... what do you want me to say.

Not to offend you, but coming from somebody who was sure they were 'naturally thin', you probably don't eat as much as you think you do. Try recording calories for a week, and then see if it lines up with your TDEE. I think you'll be surprised.

On the other hand, at 15, you're in the full swing of puberty and growing, so unless you eat a lot you're going to look skinny.
what really bothers me is the fact that nobody talks about calling people skinny or

Latest

Trending

Trending