The Student Room Group

How do I stand out in the competition?

Hey Guys, I am looking into enrolling into Oxbridge. So Far This is What I have:

IGCSEs: 8 Subjects, 7 A* (Math, physics, biology, chemistry, Arabic, ICT, Accounting), 1 A (English :frown:)
AS: Math A (300/300), Further Math A, Physics A, ICT A, Arabic (First Language) A
A2: Predicted 5 A*
Taking into consideration that I self taught myself Further math since no tuition for it was available in school + No teachers were available in my region. :confused:
How well do I stand out from the crowd, I have studied a lot for these marks so I would really be dissapointed to get a rejection letter (Course is Computer Science)
Thanks in advance
What on earth do you want us to say? The deadline has already gone so you can't really change anything about your application. Your grades are obviously brilliant, even for Oxbridge. Couldn't you have figured that out yourself, if you really are that smart?
Reply 2
He is talking about 2015 entry...
Reply 3
I am sorry I didn't mean to be an annoyance :/ Its just that I only took 8 O Levels (As this is the common in my country) and I have heard Oxbridge generally sort of "Sorts" application initially based on GCSEs so I am worried my application wouldn't even pass that "Sort" in the first place that's all. And If You think my grades are brilliant, you have not seen half of the grades in our school! Most took 6-7 A Levels with Full marks mostly in most Modules !!! :O
I am sorry again If I caused you any annoyance
Have a nice day :smile:
Original post by Faroukyasser
I am sorry I didn't mean to be an annoyance :/ Its just that I only took 8 O Levels (As this is the common in my country) and I have heard Oxbridge generally sort of "Sorts" application initially based on GCSEs so I am worried my application wouldn't even pass that "Sort" in the first place that's all. And If You think my grades are brilliant, you have not seen half of the grades in our school! Most took 6-7 A Levels with Full marks mostly in most Modules !!! :O
I am sorry again If I caused you any annoyance
Have a nice day :smile:

You have 7 A*s, it's fine, really. Even for medicine.
You must go to a really good school. Don't think that is the average applicant. At my school only about 50 people took A-levels (of a school of about 600) and most didn't get good grades. No one even applied to Oxbridge.
Reply 5
Original post by ILovePumpkins
You have 7 A*s, it's fine, really. Even for medicine.
You must go to a really good school. Don't think that is the average applicant. At my school only about 50 people took A-levels (of a school of about 600) and most didn't get good grades. No one even applied to Oxbridge.

School is pretty good but it doesn't accept anyone. I had to take a 5 hours long Math exam for just an interview chance!!! School has the best teachers in the country (But it is limited on the range of subjects available). It is definitely full of geniuses :biggrin: (But then again come to think of it its this environment of "geniuses" that really made me work harder, I didn't wanna be the one left out)

Thanks a lot For your answer :biggrin:
Which country are you from out of interest? From the language, I assume it's a Middle-Eastern one . . .
Hey Guys, I am looking into enrolling into Oxbridge. So Far This is What I have:
<snip>
How well do I stand out from the crowd, I have studied a lot for these marks so I would really be dissapointed to get a rejection letter (Course is Computer Science)
Thanks in advance

Hi. Delighted to hear you're thinking for applying to us (amongst others.) From what you've said, we'd be very happy to receive an application from you.

Here at Oxford we don't have any specific requirements when it comes to GCSEs. However, we do look at scores. You've got excellent grades there, and probably slightly above the average we normally see purely in terms of the number of A*. Nothing at all to worry about there.

In terms of A Levels Maths is essential and Further Maths strongly recommended as the best preparation for one of our courses. We also suggest a science subject such as Physics - so you've got all of that covered nicely. We only make offers based on three A Levels - we'll notice if you've done more but they don't normally form part of any offer. ICT wouldn't be a particular bonus, but it's not a negative point either, as you've got the Maths subjects in there. Remember, we're not looking for any specific computing knowledge. We're looking for an interest in the subject, and for people who have really developed their mathematical thinking. (Make sure you ask your referee to put in the reference that you've self-studied FM.)

One of the major factors in deciding who to shortlist for interview is the MAT exam that all of our candidates sit. Information and past papers etc here. An excellent performance in the MAT can really help you stand out, and will ensure you get an interview. (Roughly speaking, last year candidates who were interviewed got over 53 in the test. This figure does vary from year to year, but it's a pretty good guide.)

Although the Personal Statement isn't a hugely influential part of the application to Oxford, you might still find this useful.

We interview somewhere over half of all of our applicants. Further information on the interviews, and advice on preparing for them is here.

Applications for a 2014 course start have closed, but applications for a 2015 course start will open in Sept 2014 and close in mid-October of 2014.

I hope that helps. Freel free to get in touch if you have questions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
Hi. Delighted to hear you're thinking for applying to us (amongst others.) From what you've said, we'd be very happy to receive an application from you.

Here at Oxford we don't have any specific requirements when it comes to GCSEs. However, we do look at scores. You've got excellent grades there, and probably slightly above the average we normally see purely in terms of the number of A*. Nothing at all to worry about there.

In terms of A Levels Maths is essential and Further Maths strongly recommended as the best preparation for one of our courses. We also suggest a science subject such as Physics - so you've got all of that covered nicely. We only make offers based on three A Levels - we'll notice if you've done more but they don't normally form part of any offer. ICT wouldn't be a particular bonus, but it's not a negative point either, as you've got the Maths subjects in there. Remember, we're not looking for any specific computing knowledge. We're looking for an interest in the subject, and for people who have really developed their mathematical thinking. (Make sure you ask your referee to put in the reference that you've self-studied FM.)

One of the major factors in deciding who to shortlist for interview is the MAT exam that all of our candidates sit. Information and past papers etc here. An excellent performance in the MAT can really help you stand out, and will ensure you get an interview. (Roughly speaking, last year candidates who were interviewed got over 53 in the test. This figure does vary from year to year, but it's a pretty good guide.)

Although the Personal Statement isn't a hugely influential part of the application to Oxford, you might still find this useful.

We interview somewhere over half of all of our applicants. Further information on the interviews, and advice on preparing for them is here.

Applications for a 2014 course start have closed, but applications for a 2015 course start will open in Sept 2014 and close in mid-October of 2014.

I hope that helps. Feel free to get in touch if you have questions.

Thanks a TON for all this help. Really appreciate it. I will take care of all your valuable notes when I apply next September. I have taken a look at the MAT past papers and they look very similar to the C2 module (Which I enjoyed the most in AS) Thanks a lot once again :smile:
Thanks a TON for all this help.

You're more than welcome. Feel free to get back in touch if you have any questions further down the line.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending