The Student Room Group

Football Manager Society

Welcome one and all to the society devoted to one of the most addictive series of games ever made, Football Manager (and its predecessor Championship Manager).

This soc is for all fans. Whether your addiction to the series dates back to Championship Manager 97/98 or Football Manager 2007 doesn't matter. Whether you enjoy taking Manchester United to European glory or just want to take up the challenge of getting Fisher Athletic to avoid relegation from the Conference South doesn't matter.

If you've been hooked by this series of games, this soc is for you. Brag about your unbeatable tactic, talk about your experiences of taking your team through three consecutive promotions (or relegations, which would be even more impressive :biggrin:), or ask for tips on how to get your team out of the relegation zone. Whatever your FM desires or problems, this is the place to come :smile:

You can join by clicking here and filling out the join request. You'll be made a member of the society shortly afterwards.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Downloads

ChampionshipChampionship Manager - Full Version (released as freeware in 2003 to promote Championship Manager 4)

2005FM2005 5.0.5 Patch
FM Scout 3.22

2006FM2006 6.0.3 Patch
FM Scout 3.30b5
fake.lnc Update

2007FM2007 7.0.2 Patch
FM2007 Genie Scout 1.00 RC3
fake.lnc Update

2008FM2008 8.0.2 Patch
FM Genie Scout 1.00b3

If there are any other files you'd like linked, post them here or PM me and I'll consider them :smile:
Please note: If offering links, please don't give me links to other forums. A download page with comments on the download is fine, but forums are a no-no...especially if you have to sign up to the forum to get the download (I will not add links that require you to sign up to this, that and the next thing to get a single file)
Reply 2
Challenges

Every so often I like to offer up a challenge for soc members to try if they wish. I may even be generous enough to rep people if they're able to complete the challenge successfully.

FM2007 Challenge #1: Lux a big part of the game (Link)
Choose any league that starts in summer 2006. Play as Luxembourg (who, ranked 196th in the world out of 208, are the worst nation in Europe). Your task is rather simple - just don't come bottom in the Euro 2008 qualifying group.

FM2008 Challenge #1: Parlez-vous Anglais, Arsène? (Link)
Start a game with the English Premiership (and other leagues if you wish, but the Premiership and Championship should really be all you need) and choose to play Arsenal. In the shoes of Arsène Wenger, try to win the Premiership title.
But where's the challenge? Here it is: You're only allowed to use players from the UK or Ireland. Anyone with English/Scottish/Welsh/N.Irish/Irish nationality qualifies for this, as will anyone who's not of that nationality but has been in one of the countries for 2,000+ days (i.e. they've been in the country long enough to qualify for citizenship but have been twiddling their thumbs for a while)

FM2008 Challenge #2: United we stand, divisions we fall (Link)
Start a game with all English leagues selected (down to conference north/south if possible), and choose to play as Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Man Utd. Your task is a fun one, but will take several seasons to complete - get relegated again and again and again, until your team is relegated from the lowest league you have selected. If you get sacked, just create a new manager to continue the work. Enjoy :biggrin:
Reply 3
I'm almost definately the best at the game here.
Reply 4
efctom20

i dont think so.

you beat me too it at setting up the commuinity :frown: god damn you

but ill join.
Reply 5
efctom20
But you're almost definitely not the best at spelling here :p:

However, if you want to run your mouth, back up your claim. There are a few challenges that can show your skill at the game. One of the ones I'm aware of is to try to get a victory with San Marino (the national side). If you can get a victory over Belgium or Spain in the first season then you get extra kudos :wink:

I'm running a LLM game. Currently a few months into the game, my board's goal is for Maidenhead to avoid relegation and I'm in a playoff position, having lost only one match out of ten. Was a bit gutting that my six game unbeaten run was shattered when I got trounced 5-1 by Eastbourne Boro, but I wasn't expecting to beat them. I'm also not looking forward to my meeting with Weymouth in January, which is another match I'm almost guaranteed to lose.
Reply 6
Dalimyr
But you're almost definitely not the best at spelling here :p:

However, if you want to run your mouth, back up your claim. There are a few challenges that can show your skill at the game. One of the ones I'm aware of is to try to get a victory with San Marino (the national side). If you can get a victory over Belgium or Spain in the first season then you get extra kudos :wink:

I'm running a LLM game. Currently a few months into the game, my board's goal is for Maidenhead to avoid relegation and I'm in a playoff position, having lost only one match out of ten. Was a bit gutting that my six game unbeaten run was shattered when I got trounced 5-1 by Eastbourne Boro, but I wasn't expecting to beat them. I'm also not looking forward to my meeting with Weymouth in January, which is another match I'm almost guaranteed to lose.

im in third season with northwich victoria. lost in playoffs 2 seasons running. top of table after 26 games. still unbeaten.

Just got to fa cup third round. and took Premiership Team Man City back to City of Manchester stadium for a replay. lost it 1-0.
Reply 7
The soc's official now :smile: You can join by clicking here and filling out the join request. You'll be made a member of the society shortly afterwards.

Haven't progressed too far in my Maidenhead game. Was pitted against Northwich Victoria in the FA Trophy and gave what could well be the performance of the season. I fell 2-0 down within 7 minutes, but came back to 2-1 after 13 minutes and equalised after 35 minutes. The game is coming to an end, the fourth official announces that there are to be four minutes of injury time and I go 3-2 ahead seconds later. Northwich put on the pressure, and got about 4 or 5 shots on target in the following few minutes, but after a corner my defender cleared the ball. A Northwich defender missed his attempted interception and my right winger got the ball and was one-on-one with the keeper. Scored to make the score 4-2 with 1 minute of injury time to go, sealing my victory :top: It was the pick of the round after the draw, and it certainly lived up to expectations :biggrin:
Reply 8
Love football manager. Usually manage United at the start and then see what opportunities arise - national teams, going abroad etc. My biggest problem is my attachment to the 4-4-2 formation which i can rarely (never) get to work. Has anyone else found a way to make it succeed? My other problem is signing to too many players and ending up with an unwieldy squad. This was worse in FM2005 when the number of top players you could get on free transfers was ridiculous - Torres, Gilardino, Miccoli, D'allesandro etc in one season (most sold for profit). Come to think of it i might have a bash now. My current team:
-------------------Ochoa

Neville-----Ferdinand------Heinze-------Evra

-------------------Diarra

----------Mascherano----Riquelme-----

Ronaldo----------------------------------Rooney
--------------------Ruud

Edit: not a 4-4-2 because the 3 midfielders are too good to be left out!
Reply 9
Football Manager rocks!.....this is gonna be a class society...cant wait for FM2007.....
Reply 10
anyone wanna challenge me to network game then feel free :biggrin:......we should have like a summer tournament or something :biggrin:
Reply 11
Having loaded yp my game i want to add that it is also possibly the most frustrating and enraging game of all time. Djibril Cisse - 42 games/37 goals! **** off! Defoe - 26 premiership goals in March! Peter Crouch scores 4 against united. 4 FFS!
Reply 12
jose
Having loaded yp my game i want to add that it is also possibly the most frustrating and enraging game of all time. Djibril Cisse - 42 games/37 goals! **** off! Defoe - 26 premiership goals in March! Peter Crouch scores 4 against united. 4 FFS!

what?:confused: lol
Reply 13
It's driving me crazy - i go 3-0 against liverpool then Crouch starts banging them in, 4 in 14 mins. It happens regularly.
Edit: I might have to resort to crippling him using the editor...
Reply 14
jose
It's driving me crazy - i go 3-0 against liverpool then Crouch starts banging them in, 4 in 14 mins. It happens regularly.
Edit: I might have to resort to crippling him using the editor...

cheater!:biggrin: ....Crouch is annoying...best thing to do is get Rio to man mark him and he'll be silent all game...
Reply 15
i suggest you keep your tactics..just incase we start a network game or something :biggrin:
Reply 16
ha ha, yeah it could be used against you! Looks a hell of a team. I'm going to ditch Ruud and go hard for Torres at the end of the season - I can't have them both because the financial situation at the club is "perilous":eek:

Actually i would be interested in the tactic, and i only have dial up at home so i couldn't be involved in a network game. How would you send it? I could send you my pretty decent 4-1-2-2-1 as shown above if you're interested. It works really well but i'd like a 4-4-2 because at the moment i feel Rooney is being wasted stuck out wide. Also i love buying wingers!
Reply 17
he could upload it on the forum...
Reply 18
I used to have a great tactic in CM97/98, but it doesn't seem to work very well in the later games :frown:

It looked like this:

GK
*SW*
DR DC DL
*DM*
MR MC ML
*AM*
FC FC FC
The SW/DM/AM role was alternated depending on whether I was at home or away, and depending on the situation (e.g. using an AMC against a relegation candidate at the start of the game to try and get a few early goals, then subbing in a DMC to keep my lead)

Nowadays I tend to stick with a 4-4-2, 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-3...and sometimes 5-3-2 if I'm up against a very difficult opponent.
Reply 19
My best ever tactic/formation was on 00/01.

-------------Buffon

-------Neville-Stam-Samuel

Becks---Scholes---Keane---Giggs

--------------Aimar

-------Saviola-----Ronaldinho

Absolutely unbelievable. Aimar would get about a thousand assists a season. And the front two would get a goal or to every game. Legendary.

Latest