Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
That's like the minimum. In other places, a decent room is like 60 pounds

yeah some places here at leeds met are expensive
It's already expensive enough as it is, raising it again would be unneccessary
Reply 42
what do you guys make of it?

It's logic.
As the cost of something rises, you have to pay more for it.
Lets all immigrate to Scotland :smile:
Reply 44
I know, but I'm just a bit tired of being constantly told to buy stuff. What's wrong with renting and what on earth was wrong with free university education?
Reply 45
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
Lets all immigrate to Scotland :smile:

I've actually considered this, haha. I think you have to live there for three years or so before you qualify for free university education.

Although I've heard rumours that Scotland are going to give in and make people pay sometime soon...
Original post by Pittawithcheese
I graduated almost a decade ago and am still paying- back my old loan which was only about £12k in total, so goodness knows how the younger generation will manage...

The Bice Chancellor in the article is a twit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't you have different terms on your loans though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This stupid ass mother******
Increase the £21,000 alongside it and it's a sensible proposal.
Labour never considered trebling tuition fees like the Conservatives. I want to go to Swansea Uni to do engineering but it looks like I'll have to go for somewhere in London now :frown:

Because London is so much cheaper than Swansea? seen your following post explaining
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 50
Stay at home and go to a London uni (I live in London)

Just for your information, Labour did treble fees, from £1,000 to £3,000.
Original post by meenu89
Just for your information, Labour did treble fees, from £1,000 to £3,000.

People could still afford 3000
Reply 52
People could still afford 3000

Really? So why where there pretests at the time? The payment terms have been made much more generous now.
Original post by Pittawithcheese
I graduated almost a decade ago and am still paying- back my old loan which was only about £12k in total, so goodness knows how the younger generation will manage...

The Bice Chancellor in the article is a twit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just out of interest what job are you doing now?
Reply 54
I do wonder sometimes whether or not this rapid increase in the number of universities (and, therefore, university students) has done more harm than good.
i would rather they lowered the salary threshold above which you have to repay your debt, 21k is quite generous
Reply 56
Why can't they stop funding mickey mouse degrees?
Original post by Tai Ga

I thought the fees from the people doing "Mickey mouse" degrees subsidise science degrees which cost thousands more than you pay for? (Many need few resources and have low contact hours compared to science and "hard" degrees)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Катя
That's so disgusting. I still don't understand why the government can't just pay for our education like before?

Oh right, of course, I forgot profit before people.

Thanks, Conservatives.

I'm not a conservative but surely you must realise that hardly any people went to university before... and now university is treated like an extenuation of High School. If the government wants 50% of people going to university then they will have to find a way of paying for it.

So you either:

Raise taxes;
Charge Students for their own Degrees;
Cut the budget from elsewhere to fund the others.

Or the government can borrow money in an unsustainable fashion for decades to come and bury their heads in the sand.

We can't keep having universal everything without having a massive tax hike. If we do that, everything will get more expensive and not a lot of people want a huge reduction in their purchasing power.
Original post by Tai Ga

Firstly they'd have to define what is and isn't a mickey mouse degree.

Quick Reply

Latest