The Student Room Group

Buying stuff for uni

How early should you start buying things? I'm hoping to be a 2014 fresher and so far I have:
Potato masher
Spatula
Notepad

Am I being ridiculous by collecting things when I'm not going for almost another year? Or is it a good idea to get things gradually?
(These weren't things I set out to buy, I just came across then on special offer and thought 'I might need that for uni').
Also, should I ask for some stuff for Christmas or not?
Original post by Rosewater
How early should you start buying things? I'm hoping to be a 2014 fresher and so far I have:
Potato masher
Spatula
Notepad

Am I being ridiculous by collecting things when I'm not going for almost another year? Or is it a good idea to get things gradually?
(These weren't things I set out to buy, I just came across then on special offer and thought 'I might need that for uni').
Also, should I ask for some stuff for Christmas or not?

What do you mean, 'buy stuff'? You have everything you need, young grasshopper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
BRING AN IRON

Everyone will want to come to you cos no one else would think to bring one! IT'S GENIUS! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Potato masher

Why on...how...I have never seen a fresher make mashed potatoes. I can only assume this is to be used for some kind of drug preparation.
Reply 4
Haha, I like mashed potatoes! Especially with gravy :smile:
I never bought anything for uni until after A2 results day when I knew I'd got in. When I went to IKEA with my mum for the big uni shop, it seemed the only customers were students to be with their parents buying all the uni essentials.
Reply 6
This is the cutest thread ever!!

Potato masher, spatula... AWWW! :biggrin:

But I'd say wait until you know which uni you're going to and what accommodation you'll be staying at because some will provide basic cooking utensils, etc. already. :biggrin:
If you're buying stuff gradually to help spread the cost, then it's fine.

However, if the money isn't that much of an issue then I would suggest that there's no need to buy stuff until after A2 results day. Make lists, by all means, but there's plenty of time between then and the start of term to buy everything. I returned from my travels, landed myself in hospital, got over jet lag, saw my family, bought everything, packed and went to uni in the space of ten days - and even that wasn't a major rush :yes:
Reply 8
I didn't buy anything. Arrived. Didn't need anything. Borrowed a few towels, bowls and plates from home and that was it.
I'm hoping to be a 2014 fresher and so far I have:
Potato masher
Spatula
Notepad

Lol sounds like you're all set
I'll be buying my stuff gradually too as I don't have a lot of money :smile:
Original post by Reiss64
BRING AN IRON

Everyone will want to come to you cos no one else would think to bring one! IT'S GENIUS! :biggrin:

So I started ironing my shirts this year when I started seeing patients, but what sort of perverted undergrad irons regularly? :confused:

OP, far too keen but awwww :tongue:
Reply 12
It's a good idea. I started my Uni shopping before I had even picked my firm choice :') by the time September came I had literally everything I needed. Make a list and start with the basic items you'd probably forget

Quick Reply

Latest