The Student Room Group

With the Romanians and Bulgarians, should I be scared for my future

this was stupid
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

"No good people, people who work hard, or deserve to stay."

While I agree that unregulated mass immigration isn't great, you can't say that everyone that comes to this country is bad. Also, the effect of Romanian and Bulgarian immigration will most likely not be as bad as UKIP seem to be making out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22031724 (admittedly this source isn't really conclusive or particularly great but it's the best I could find).

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2013/03/question-time-audience-member-slams-ukip-on-immigration-stats/ukip-bulgaria-romania-leaflet/

(29 million is the entire population of Romania and Bulgaria combined - and while, yes, they all have access to us, we also have access to them!)

I think the thing with immigration is that many on the left claim the right is racist, and that multiculturalism is great etc. The right also has issues in that it seems to not be able to admit there are some benefits to these things. I don't particularly like blind nationalism.

Really we need to get to the root causes of immigration to change this. Why do people want to come to our country? Because we have a decent healthcare system, decent education etc. It might not always feel like it but the UK is actually a good place to live, of course people want to live here. We need to help their countries become better so that the strains on more developed countries are less.
Original post by Pendulum3
This going to sound strange coming from a British person with migrant parents (from Pakistan)but anyways, I know that there are Romanians and Bulgarians coming in 2014, and I'm quite scared of how that will affect me when I'm older, I feel as if there are to many people in this country, forgive me for my slight hypocrosy, but I have feel as if the Conservatives and Labour have let to many people into this country, including no good people, people who work hard, or care for this country deserve to stay, and of course we should care for peoples need, however there are also times when we have to worry about ourselves, which is why I might turn to UKIP, to tighten the borders and restore Britain/

Yes you should be scared. Also just because someone is an immigrant or the child of one, it doesn't mean you cant criticise the immigration system. There are many anti-immigration non-native British. The government is living in dreamland if it thinks millions of them wont come here.
Original post by cant_think_of_name
"No good people, people who work hard, or deserve to stay."

While I agree that unregulated mass immigration isn't great, you can't say that everyone that comes to this country is bad. Also, the effect of Romanian and Bulgarian immigration will most likely not be as bad as UKIP seem to be making out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22031724 (admittedly this source isn't really conclusive or particularly great but it's the best I could find).

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2013/03/question-time-audience-member-slams-ukip-on-immigration-stats/ukip-bulgaria-romania-leaflet/

(29 million is the entire population of Romania and Bulgaria combined - and while, yes, they all have access to us, we also have access to them!)

I think the thing with immigration is that many on the left claim the right is racist, and that multiculturalism is great etc. The right also has issues in that it seems to not be able to admit there are some benefits to these things. I don't particularly like blind nationalism.

Really we need to get to the root causes of immigration to change this. Why do people want to come to our country? Because we have a decent healthcare system, decent education etc. It might not always feel like it but the UK is actually a good place to live, of course people want to live here. We need to help their countries become better so that the strains on more developed countries are less.

Benefits and free things is the main reason. Often, you will find many of the blind liberals live in areas untouched by immigration.
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Yes you should be scared. Also just because someone is an immigrant or the child of one, it doesn't mean you cant criticise the immigration system. There are many anti-immigration non-native British. The government is living in dreamland if it thinks millions of them wont come here.

Millions is an exaggeration
Millions is an exaggeration

Give me a reason why.
Give me a reason why.

You're saying that out of the populations of Bulgaria and Romania, that at least 1 in 29 will: 1. Choose to leave their families, home and friends and immigrate to a completely new culture, and 2. Choose the UK over other developed countries (France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Scandinavia, Spain).

You're having a laugh :rolleyes:
Original post by Pendulum3
Of course, I agree with the idea that we have one of the best countries in the world, no denying that, which is why my father came here as a teen in the 70's, however that time this country was mild in population, he's been working here all his life, he's asked to me to be proud of being a Brit, not forgeting my ancestory of course, I have had a free education, free health care, and if I'm in trouble, there's people here to look out for me, it's not the same for some immigrants who imagine a life style such as ours, I get it, we need to look after people, but then again we need to look after ourselves to, if I wanted I could get my education here and help Pakistan develop using my skills and knowledge I've learned here.

This needs to be made clear, the government 'profits' so to speak off the average 1st/2nd generation immigrant. What I mean by this is that they pay more in taxation than they take out in usage of public services. So they do not harm the governments balance sheet.
What harm do immigrants cause? Well you could argue that they drive down wages for low skilled workers by increasing competition for them. Many immigrants are technically skilled, however many of the qualifications immigrants arrive with are not recognized as they have completed them abroad. Furthermore immigrants are more likely to not have sufficient linguistic skills in English to use their qualifications in high skilled positions.

Overall I think immigration has a positive effect on Britain, however high skilled immigration should be the focus, countries like France and Nigeria should be given priority as they generally supply the highest skilled migrants.
Which is problematic as we are unlikely to receive such high proportions of high skilled immigrants from Bulgaria/Romania, not to say that we should shut the door, but we should at least have control over door and not have Brussels yanking it open and jamming in the door stop.
You're saying that out of the populations of Bulgaria and Romania, that at least 1 in 29 will: 1. Choose to leave their families, home and friends and immigrate to a completely new culture, and 2. Choose the UK over other developed countries (France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Scandinavia, Spain).

Yes, I am. First of all, why would they have to leave their families and friends? They can move over together. This is the problem with the welfare state for EU citizens. They can move over and get free housing/job seekers allowance meaning that they don't need to have pre-arranged jobs. The UK system is the most generous out of the lot to the immigrants. Have you not seen the conditions that a large % of them live in? It is like a third would country in parts. They will move in huge numbers. I cant blame them for moving when they can, I would do the same in their position. The facts are that they can receive more money on job seekers and housing benefits than they could dream of getting in their own countries.

I agree with you, but I would not be so complacent. It is very hard to predict numbers of those who will choose to come, look at the predictions of polish immigrants which were blown out the water.
Original post by TheHeroicOne
This needs to be made clear, the government 'profits' so to speak off the average 1st/2nd generation immigrant. What I mean by this is that they pay more in taxation than they take out in usage of public services. So they do not harm the governments balance sheet.
What harm do immigrants cause? Well you could argue that they drive down wages for low skilled workers by increasing competition for them. Many immigrants are technically skilled, however many of the qualifications immigrants arrive with are not recognized as they have completed them abroad. Furthermore immigrants are more likely to not have sufficient linguistic skills in English to use their qualifications in high skilled positions.

Overall I think immigration has a positive effect on Britain, however high skilled immigration should be the focus, countries like France and Nigeria should be given priority as they generally supply the highest skilled migrants.
Which is problematic as we are unlikely to receive such high proportions of high skilled immigrants from Bulgaria/Romania, not to say that we should shut the door, but we should at least have control over door and not have Brussels yanking it open and jamming in the door stop.

The UK loses money per person in the country. You are talking rubbish. Immigrants cause a huge list of problems ranging from inflation, increasing jobless rates to increases in disease and crime levels. Immigration will be the downfall of this country, at least in this format anyway.
Yes, I am. First of all, why would they have to leave their families and friends? They can move over together. This is the problem with the welfare state for EU citizens. They can move over and get free housing/job seekers allowance meaning that they don't need to have pre-arranged jobs. The UK system is the most generous out of the lot to the immigrants. Have you not seen the conditions that a large % of them live in? It is like a third would country in parts. They will move in huge numbers. I cant blame them for moving when they can, I would do the same in their position. The facts are that they can receive more money on job seekers and housing benefits than they could dream of getting in their own countries.

Don't be ridiculous 1 in 29 is a absurd number get real.

I think you are missing the point here. Included in those populations are millions of old people, families who can't move because they have young children, etc. Not to mention there will also be people in those countries (they're not hellholes) that have good lives.

In 2004, Polish immigrants got to about half a million, and that from a country of 40 million people. Romanians and Bulgarians actually generally have emigrated to the Mediterranean in the past which means people are more likely to go there really.

Not to mention the fact that actually the borders have been open for six years already so anyone that really wanted to come has already :tongue:
I agree with you, but I would not be so complacent. It is very hard to predict numbers of those who will choose to come, look at the predictions of polish immigrants which were blown out the water.

I'm not being complacent - I know that there will probably be more than predicted, but a million really is just ridiculous
Don't be ridiculous 1 in 29 is a absurd number get real.

Wow, fantastic argument. You are a great example of the type of liberal idiot who is in favour of mass immigration.
The UK loses money per person in the country. You are talking rubbish. Immigrants cause a huge list of problems ranging from inflation, increasing jobless rates to increases in disease and crime levels. Immigration will be the downfall of this country, at least in this format anyway.

Nope, the average immigrant pays in more than they take out. Here is a source from a right wing paper

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/files/2013/06/immigration.jpg

also show me evidence for your remarks on inflation, jobless rates and disease + crime levels

the inflation argument is not aligned to basic macro-economic theory, under simple aggregate models of demand/supply one would assume that immigration should anti-inflationary in the long run as we are expanding the potential output.
Wow, fantastic argument. You are a great example of the type of liberal idiot who is in favour of mass immigration.

Thanks, liberal democrat here, got any arguments or just personal attacks?
Reply 17
England is like Titanic in slow motion.
I think you are missing the point here. Included in those populations are millions of old people, families who can't move because they have young children, etc. Not to mention there will also be people in those countries (they're not hellholes) that have good lives.

In 2004, Polish immigrants got to about half a million, and that from a country of 40 million people. Romanians and Bulgarians actually generally have emigrated to the Mediterranean in the past which means people are more likely to go there really.

Not to mention the fact that actually the borders have been open for six years already so anyone that really wanted to come has already :tongue:

1. Children can come here with them, the more children you have the more bedrooms you get. Old people can also come, FREE NHS! PERFECT! That dispels any issues about families not been able to move, the benefits system actively helps entire families to move. The Polish country was in a better state, obviously the better a country is the less people who would want to move. That is in the past, they haven't had the option to come here. If you are a large Bulgarian family living in some gypsy site, man, wife, have 6 children, no jobs, why would you not come to the UK? You get a house, money for food, free health care, childe benefits, free school etc.
1. Children can come here with them, the more children you have the more bedrooms you get. Old people can also come, FREE NHS! PERFECT! That dispels any issues about families not been able to move, the benefits system actively helps entire families to move. The Polish country was in a better state, obviously the better a country is the less people who would want to move. That is in the past, they haven't had the option to come here. If you are a large Bulgarian family living in some gypsy site, man, wife, have 6 children, no jobs, why would you not come to the UK? You get a house, money for food, free health care, childe benefits, free school etc.

But you have no empirical evidence to support your position. Furthermore one could argue that immigration is a massive hassle, thus it explains the evidence gathered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending