The Student Room Group

Determine limit as x approaches 0?

Im quite stuck on one question in my most recent assignment, where it asks me to :

Determine :

CodeCogsEqn.gif

I'm confused to as to what the question is asking me/ where i should start(never really understood limits)
? I dont want anyone to walk me through it, but if someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated
Reply 1
I would use the taylor series for cos x here.
Reply 2
Original post by DFranklin
I would use the taylor series for cos x here.

Alright so my problem is i dont know where the rest of the equation fits in? what would i do with the x^2/2 and the x^4 ? I'm assuming the x^4 means that i expand the series to the 4th term?
Original post by santeria133
Alright so my problem is i dont know where the rest of the equation fits in? what would i do with the x^2/2 and the x^4 ? I'm assuming the x^4 means that i expand the series to the 4th term?

and then divide the result by the x^4 in the denominator
Reply 4
Keep applying L'Hopitals rule.
Reply 5
Original post by lubus
Keep applying L'Hopitals rule.

The Taylor series approach is much simpler :smile:
Reply 6
Im quite stuck on one question in my most recent assignment, where it asks me to :

Determine :

CodeCogsEqn.gif

I'm confused to as to what the question is asking me/ where i should start(never really understood limits)
? I dont want anyone to walk me through it, but if someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated

Bound the function.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7

Determine :

CodeCogsEqn.gif

While the limit of both the numerator and denominator is 0, you can use the
L'Hospital rule (3 times),then use that

limx0sinxx=1\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x}=1

Quick Reply

Latest