The Student Room Group

Does your university truly make a huge difference when TC hunting at the top end?

I was chatting with a non-law friend of mine who's doing the GDL at the moment. She has a very high 2.1 from Exeter in English and History and loads of relevant extracurriculars to her name and some decent work experience. Yet she's been rejected from 5/5 Vac Schemes so far. I've read her applications (amongst other people who have) and she has some perfectly good, well thought-out and detailed answers.

Understandably, she was really upset but is soldiering on because the rejections are expected, but she is becoming more and more convinced that Exeter is playing part of the role in holding her back. It doesn't help that majority of the people in her GDL class with TCs already went to Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/King's/Durham.

While the sample of her class is not really indicative of how things are in the rest of the profession, I just wondered about the frank question that when it comes to the upper end of law firms (Magic Circle, Silver Circle, etc.) is it true that majority (90%+) of the future trainees come from a very select, 6-7 universities? Should people who don't go to one of those universities not apply to top firms altogether?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by arrowhead
I was chatting with a non-law friend of mine who's doing the GDL at the moment. She has a very high 2.1 from Exeter in English and History and loads of relevant extracurriculars to her name and some decent work experience. Yet she's been rejected from 5/5 Vac Schemes so far. I've read her applications (amongst other people who have) and she has some perfectly good, well thought-out and detailed answers.

Understandably, she was really upset but is soldiering on because the rejections are expected, but she is becoming more and more convinced that Exeter is playing part of the role in holding her back. It doesn't help that majority of the people in her GDL class with TCs already went to Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/King's/Durham.

While the sample of her class is not really indicative of how things are in the rest of the profession, I just wondered about the frank question that when it comes to the upper end of law firms (Magic Circle, Silver Circle, etc.) is it true that majority (90%+) of the future trainees come from a very select, 6-7 universities? Should people who don't go to one of those universities not apply to top firms altogether?

Interesting point raised. I happened to be speaking to a friend recently, currently studying Law at Birmingham; having only just recovered from his freshers, he is already beginning to doubt his prospects of gaining a TC altogether, never mind from a top City firm. Unfortunately, I didn't ask for his reasons, but it says a lot about the competitiveness of law, and students' perspectives. It is interesting to see how the common advice of: 'study a rigorous degree from a Russell Group' seems to be flawed in his eyes (if it was ever good advice to give in the first place, mind you). Admittedly, his whimsical doubts are unrepresentative of all Bham students, but it's true that he doesn't have the re-assurance that an Oxbridge, or even a student from a 'very select' group of universities has, as you say above.

In answer to your last proposition: as you said rightly, there does seem to be a targeted 7/8 universities that will be prevalent at the top firms. Perhaps students in the top bracket do not need to be as 'exceptional' as those from the middle because they already have an impressive name on their CV. Perhaps such students are naturally more confident in their abilities, or are more ambitious than students from 'lesser unis'. I imagine the list of factors is endless, but surely the former is most likely. As an employer with so many options, why waste your time interviewing a Sheffield, or Lpool grad when you can play it safe with an LSE or Durham grad who on average will likely to be stronger academically.

Would be interesting to hear what you have to say on the matter, as unfortunately there is very little evidence that qualifies anyone to give a hard-and-fast answer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2

In response to the both of you above me, the only 'objective' data that I have ever seen in regards to this question was posted in, I believe, a Legal Week monthly magazine (can't find the PDF but here is an article -http://www.legalweek.com/legal-week/news/1598099/oxbridge-graduates-magic-circle-trainees):

'A Legal Week survey of firms' trainee intakes from Sep 2008 to March 2010 showed the following breakdown for the MC:

Oxbridge:
Linklaters 34% , Freshfields 44%, Allen & Overy 37%, Clifford Chance 30%, Slaughter & May 48%

Other Top 10: Links 24%, FBD 23%, A & O 26%, CC 29%, Slaughters 32%

Top 10-20: Links 12%, FBD 13%, A & O 20%, CC 14%, Slaughters 8%

Other UK: Links 18%, FBD 10% , A & O 11%, CC 11%, Slaughters 8%

Overseas: Links 13%, FBD 10%, A & O 6%, CC 15%, Slaughters 4%'.

You can see that Oxbridge is very heavily represented amongst all MC firms - the minimum being a third of the intake. However, you can also quite clearly see that, apart from Slaughters, all other MC firms recruit anywhere between 30-40% from universities outside the top 10. So to answer your question, no, MC firms do not recruit 90% of their intakes solely from a select group of 6/7 universities.

The question of how much weight is posited on one's university is thrown around all the time. As Selym95 says, there could be any number of explanations for these figures that quite obviously show a disproportionate number of trainees coming from a smaller group of universities.
My thoughts on the matter usually boil down to the following question: What's more likely? That law firms (and more specifically, those that work in the HR/Grad Rec departments) have an inbuilt bias towards Oxbridge etc. candidates? Or, that students that go to these more prestigious universities also happen to be the better candidates? I wouldn't call myself naive, but I'm inclined to think the latter.

Also, I'm going to assume that your friend is applying for the Winter VS at various law firms. Just to put things into perspective, the MC firm I will be joining only had 12 Winter VS places last year. 12. How many people do you think that applied for the scheme had a first-class degree/on course for a first-class degree from a better university than Exeter? I bet you more than 12. This is not meant to be a slight on your friend's achievements whatsoever, but when you are competing for (possibly) less than 12 places on a Winter VS, your chances of success are very small. The fact is that it's not that your friend's achievements aren't to be lauded, it's just that there are people out there that are better (on paper, at least).
Reply 3
Original post by Selym95
In answer to your last proposition: as you said rightly, there does seem to be a targeted 7/8 universities that will be prevalent at the top firms. Perhaps students in the top bracket do not need to be as 'exceptional' as those from the middle because they already have an impressive name on their CV. Perhaps such students are naturally more confident in their abilities, or are more ambitious than students from 'lesser unis'. I imagine the list of factors is endless, but surely the former is most likely. As an employer with so many options, why waste your time interviewing a Sheffield, or Lpool grad when you can play it safe with an LSE or Durham grad who on average will likely to be stronger academically.

Would be interesting to hear what you have to say on the matter, as unfortunately there is very little evidence that qualifies anyone to give a hard-and-fast answer.

Original post by LawLad13

My thoughts on the matter usually boil down to the following question: What's more likely? That law firms (and more specifically, those that work in the HR/Grad Rec departments) have an inbuilt bias towards Oxbridge etc. candidates? Or, that students that go to these more prestigious universities also happen to be the better candidates? I wouldn't call myself naive, but I'm inclined to think the latter.

I see where you're coming from, that it's not the university name, but the qualities associated with the calibre of students that go to it. Something that is, in and of itself, not an unreasonable presumption, yet still unfair to those who don't go to them.

'A Legal Week survey of firms' trainee intakes from Sep 2008 to March 2010 showed the following breakdown for the MC:

Oxbridge:
Linklaters 34% , Freshfields 44%, Allen & Overy 37%, Clifford Chance 30%, Slaughter & May 48%

Other Top 10: Links 24%, FBD 23%, A & O 26%, CC 29%, Slaughters 32%

Top 10-20: Links 12%, FBD 13%, A & O 20%, CC 14%, Slaughters 8%

Other UK: Links 18%, FBD 10% , A & O 11%, CC 11%, Slaughters 8%

Overseas: Links 13%, FBD 10%, A & O 6%, CC 15%, Slaughters 4%'.

You can see that Oxbridge is very heavily represented amongst all MC firms - the minimum being a third of the intake. However, you can also quite clearly see that, apart from Slaughters, all other MC firms recruit anywhere between 30-40% from universities outside the top 10. So to answer your question, no, MC firms do not recruit 90% of their intakes solely from a select group of 6/7 universities.

The question of how much weight is posited on one's university is thrown around all the time. As Selym95 says, there could be any number of explanations for these figures that quite obviously show a disproportionate number of trainees coming from a smaller group of universities.

This makes me wonder though, who constitutes the "Other Top 10"? Surely that's very subjective? I mean I'm sure places like UCL, LSE, Durham, Bristol make it to the top 10, but arguably so do King's, Exeter, etc. What percent of the "Other Top 10" 29% at CC, for example, come from LSE/UCL/Durham/Manchester. What is the distribution like? I find it hard to believe that it is evenly divided between the Other Top 10.

Also, when it comes to the "Top 10-20" too, how many of those students get in immediately after their law/non-law degrees? How many of them spent a year or two applying and reapplying until they finally hit gold? How many of them did went on to do Master's degrees at Oxbridge/Top 5 universities?

Surely that represents a different kind of bias in and of itself that the numbers don't reflect?

Also, I'm going to assume that your friend is applying for the Winter VS at various law firms. Just to put things into perspective, the MC firm I will be joining only had 12 Winter VS places last year. 12. How many people do you think that applied for the scheme had a first-class degree/on course for a first-class degree from a better university than Exeter? I bet you more than 12. This is not meant to be a slight on your friend's achievements whatsoever, but when you are competing for (possibly) less than 12 places on a Winter VS, your chances of success are very small. The fact is that it's not that your friend's achievements aren't to be lauded, it's just that there are people out there that are better (on paper, at least).

This is a very good point and I am going to copy-paste it and send it to my friend, if you don't mind. I think it might help put things into perspective and have her focus on training contract apps, which are much more important at present.

Anecdotal evidence, but a friend of mine has a silver circle TC and has had a magic circle VS while on track for a very low 2:1 (I think she may get a 2:2, but the TC is conditional on a 2:1) at BPP - which is fairly universally looked down on in these forums. No LL.M, no other relevant experience.

So it is certainly not impossible for your friend at Exeter.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
This is a very strange thread, I've been to quite a few legal presentations and have actually met many grads from exeter, and many other grads from good universities. I have even met a trainee who graduated from oxford brookes at a magic circle... he was a nice chap too. I think it is important to remember that after filling in forms and jumping through academic hurdles it is still a bit of a lottery and there will be less qualified people attaining TC's at these firms than your friend.
It's just the way the cookie crumbles and if she wants a career in law she will just need to plug away at it
Reply 6
I see where you're coming from, that it's not the university name, but the qualities associated with the calibre of students that go to it. Something that is, in and of itself, not an unreasonable presumption, yet still unfair to those who don't go to them.

This makes me wonder though, who constitutes the "Other Top 10"? Surely that's very subjective? I mean I'm sure places like UCL, LSE, Durham, Bristol make it to the top 10, but arguably so do King's, Exeter, etc. What percent of the "Other Top 10" 29% at CC, for example, come from LSE/UCL/Durham/Manchester. What is the distribution like? I find it hard to believe that it is evenly divided between the Other Top 10.

Also, when it comes to the "Top 10-20" too, how many of those students get in immediately after their law/non-law degrees? How many of them spent a year or two applying and reapplying until they finally hit gold? How many of them did went on to do Master's degrees at Oxbridge/Top 5 universities?

Surely that represents a different kind of bias in and of itself that the numbers don't reflect?

I think it could also be a result of the number of apps. If firms know from experience that say 80% of Oxbridge grads will have the particular mix of brains, commerciality and personality they're looking for but only 50% of Leeds grads will then with so many applicants it's easy to end up just taking the Oxbridge students for interview, as the odds are better, even though you know a good 15 of the 30 Leeds applicants you have would be up to scratch.

From what I remember of reading that article the 'Other top 10' were the remaining 8 from that year's Times top 10, not sure exactly which they were.

I think you're right about the need to apply for longer, and often spend those years doing something (paralegalling or similar, though they may already have something such as a year abroad or First) to make yourself stand out for those from more middle ranking unis, however from people who did do it this tactic does usually pay off in the end provided you have the academics. From those unis you mention I suspect you have to be a bit smarter about working out how to make your CV stand out (language skills, mooting, Soc President, whatever) throughout uni than maybe an LSE/UCL grad who can start to think about TCs in mid Novemebr of second year and still get a few interviews.
Reply 7
Exeter is perfectly well respected in the law and I have had many colleagues who went there.

As previously pointed out, these are competitive schemes and it is a numbers game.

However if there are blemishes on her cv (and "going to Exeter" isn't one!) that may be an easy explanation for her rejections. For example have there been any typos or grammatical errors on her applications? In an uber competitive process, for a pernickety profession like law, that could certainly result in her being removed from consideration.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8

I think the primary situation in which people cry favouritism is when the following situation occurs:

Student A - attends a RG university - has a high 2.1 - lots of ECs - good work exp.
Student B - attends Oxbridge - has a high 2.1 - lots of ECs - good work exp.

Student B is then invited to interview/offered the TC or whatever and Student A is rejected. Assuming that both applications are well-written and ticks the boxes, the only real noticeable difference is the university that they attend and the preconceptions that people have about the calibre of students each institution produces. Is it truly unfair that Student B is chosen over Student A?

The fact is that human beings (including me and you) have preconceptions about most things. If someone puts two footballers in front of me, same position, mostly the same attributes, but one plays for Manchester United and the other, Newcastle United, most people would choose the Manchester United player over the Newcastle United player. Why? Reasons will probably include: 1) it was harder to get into the Manchester United academy/team in the first place, thus shows a competitive edge; 2) exposed to a higher level of coaching; 3) trains and plays at some of the best facilities in the world, so on and so forth.

The point is that, in reality, the Newcastle United player might actually, if given the chance, turn out better than the Manchester United player. However, because there is no exact science to picking a footballer and to make it relevant, a law candidate, all we can go by are our preconceptions and general factors. Law firms aren't going to spend a lot of money interviewing every similar candidate - they have to make judgements and, unfortunately, sometimes they have to go on hearsay and presumptions, rather than actual knowledge.

I think you make some very valid points. Legal week did state what they considered to be top 10 universities etc. Of course, their list is subjective - but so too would anyone else's. You're also right that, even though perhaps 30% come from universities inside the top 10, 25% of that 30% may have come from LSE and UCL.

I don't think the facts and figures are meant to be impervious to criticism, but I think if you take them at face value, they do show that the MC is not obsessed with a select number of universities - and refutes your 90% claim.

This is a very good point and I am going to copy-paste it and send it to my friend, if you don't mind. I think it might help put things into perspective and have her focus on training contract apps, which are much more important at present.

No problems. I have a real gripe with people who go to decent universities, get a good degree but then expect the doors to Slaughter, Chance & Overy to open before them. No-one is entitled to anything in this world, unfortunately. Your friend sounds like a good candidate, but by no means amazing and I bet for every one of them, there are a couple hundred more. I wish them the best of luck with their goal of securing a TC - I'm sure through their diligence and perseverance, they will be successful.
Reply 9
Original post by Selym95
Interesting point raised. I happened to be speaking to a friend recently, currently studying Law at Birmingham; having only just recovered from his freshers, he is already beginning to doubt his prospects of gaining a TC altogether, never mind from a top City firm. Unfortunately, I didn't ask for his reasons, but it says a lot about the competitiveness of law, and students' perspectives. It is interesting to see how the common advice of: 'study a rigorous degree from a Russell Group' seems to be flawed in his eyes (if it was ever good advice to give in the first place, mind you). Admittedly, his whimsical doubts are unrepresentative of all Bham students, but it's true that he doesn't have the re-assurance that an Oxbridge, or even a student from a 'very select' group of universities has, as you say above.

I know someone with a TC at HSF that went to sheffield. i think alot of it is just a pot of luck tbh
Reply 10
I think the primary situation in which people cry favouritism is when the following situation occurs:

Student A - attends a RG university - has a high 2.1 - lots of ECs - good work exp.
Student B - attends Oxbridge - has a high 2.1 - lots of ECs - good work exp.

Student B is then invited to interview/offered the TC or whatever and Student A is rejected. Assuming that both applications are well-written and ticks the boxes, the only real noticeable difference is the university that they attend and the preconceptions that people have about the calibre of students each institution produces. Is it truly unfair that Student B is chosen over Student A?

The fact is that human beings (including me and you) have preconceptions about most things. If someone puts two footballers in front of me, same position, mostly the same attributes, but one plays for Manchester United and the other, Newcastle United, most people would choose the Manchester United player over the Newcastle United player. Why? Reasons will probably include: 1) it was harder to get into the Manchester United academy/team in the first place, thus shows a competitive edge; 2) exposed to a higher level of coaching; 3) trains and plays at some of the best facilities in the world, so on and so forth.

The point is that, in reality, the Newcastle United player might actually, if given the chance, turn out better than the Manchester United player. However, because there is no exact science to picking a footballer and to make it relevant, a law candidate, all we can go by are our preconceptions and general factors. Law firms aren't going to spend a lot of money interviewing every similar candidate - they have to make judgements and, unfortunately, sometimes they have to go on hearsay and presumptions, rather than actual knowledge.

Going to direct people to this post whenever a similar discussion comes up again.
Reply 11
So, Manchester or Exeter for City training contracts?
Reply 12
Original post by Semsa
So, Manchester or Exeter for City training contracts?

Either. Neither of them will automatically get you thrown in the reject pile ... the key to getting through to interview will be what else you've done academically and legally, and whether you have sufficient commercial focus and eye for detail.
Reply 13
Original post by Crumpet1
Either. Neither of them will automatically get you thrown in the reject pile ... the key to getting through to interview will be what else you've done academically and legally, and whether you have sufficient commercial focus and eye for detail.

Thanks a lot, I prefer Manchester so might go with them. I also have an offer from Queen Mary but I hear they are not as well regarded as the other two, is that true?
Reply 14
Original post by Semsa
Thanks a lot, I prefer Manchester so might go with them. I also have an offer from Queen Mary but I hear they are not as well regarded as the other two, is that true?

Queen Mary is well-regarded for law, though it's a bit hit and miss for other subjects. Just go with whichever university you actually want to attend for the next 3 years :-)
Reply 15
Original post by Crumpet1
Queen Mary is well-regarded for law, though it's a bit hit and miss for other subjects. Just go with whichever university you actually want to attend for the next 3 years :-)

Great, thanks a lot! Manchester it is!
Reply 16
Original post by Semsa
Great, thanks a lot! Manchester it is!

Have a super time. I was blown away by Manchester's swimming pool, myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending