The Student Room Group

HELP please with fourth a-level option? Biology or geography?

Hey everyone :smile:

I'm in year 11 and hoping to do psychology at uni so at the moment for my a levels I want to take:
1. Psychology
2. History
3. English
4. ???? Biology/geography?

I'm dropping English after AS so I'd be doing either bio or geog until year 13.

Psychology degree wants more science-y things....
I'm good at geography and find it easy to get good grades but I find it pretty boring, and already have a social science that I'm doing for a-level.
I really like biology and it would look better for my application to do psychology as it is a science-based subject. But I'm only average at science right now B/A so I think I'd find it pretty difficult to get a good grade.

So is it more important to have good grades or good subjects?

Any help welcome!!! :tongue:
Reply 1
As you said, GCSE geography was quite easy if you understand it well and it's easy to get a good grade. It seems for me at the moment, currently doing AS Geography myself, that it doesn't get ALOT more difficult, it's just you have to try and remember a lot more information and processes for landforms etc. Also, it isn't what I'd thought it would be, I loved geography at GCSE but it's beginning to get abit boring now, I'm not sure if it is because the info is boring or the way it's being taught to us, but I don't like it as much as I thought I would. If you're willing to put in the effort to try and become a top A/A* student in Science, I would advise it, and I'd advise you to choose Biology.
Hope this helped and hope you choose the right subject for you:-)
Reply 2
I would choose Biology as it is more relevant with your plans to do Psychology.
I've chosen both Biology AND Geography for A-level since I plan to do geog at uni, and I love them both!!! But, anyway, yeah I would go with Biology :smile:
Reply 3
Biology! It goes well with psychology :smile: i'm doing A2 Biology at the moment and i love it, except for me it's a i like it but i'm not very good at it subject haha. Definitely biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No University expects more than 3 A levels. It is far better to have 3 A levels with top grades than 4 with mediocre grades. So don't think you 'have' to take a 4th subject beyond AS level.

Most Psychology courses don't specify A level subjects just very high grades - but as Southampton suggests - "A mix of science and arts or social science subjects can be a good preparation". So..... you need to choose 3 subjects where you are confident of top grades, but where you can include a range of subjects and as Southampton suggest a pure science like Biology is helpful.

You will also need some relevant experience that shows you understand the reality of 'dealing with people' in a relevant setting. So, some voluntary or p/time paid work in an aged care home, special school, homeless shelter etc would be a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest