The Student Room Group

Long distance relationships.....

Anyone else in a long distance relationship because you, them, or both of you have moved away for uni? Just wondering how people are coping, especially when it was freshers week hahaa

:tongue:
Reply 1
I'm also interested, as this may be the situation for me next year...
Reply 2
My girlfriend lives on another continent right now.
Reply 3
I live Walsall (near Birmingham) atm and my boyfriend has just gone to Nottingham Trent... We're okay atm and I kinda enjoy not seeing him as much cause its better when we do see each other :smile: Although I am hoping to move to Liverpool next year for uni so who knows if he'll be able to cope with freshers ect as well as I did.....
Reply 4
Original post by C_G
My girlfriend lives on another continent right now.

Omg! How do you manage that??
Reply 5
It's actually our two year anniversary today, my girlfriend goes to the University of Lincoln and I'm in the University of Liverpool. She's currently doing an internship in London and while I do admit it's terribly difficult not being able to be physically there all the time, we're coping with it thanks to texts, calls, facebook and skype calls. Thank goodness for technology!

It'll only be for one academic year she'll be in London, after which she'll be back in Lincoln so it'd be cheaper to visit :biggrin: We're both in third year (Well, sandwich year for her)
Reply 6
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
It's actually our two year anniversary today, my girlfriend goes to the University of Lincoln and I'm in the University of Liverpool. She's currently doing an internship in London and while I do admit it's terribly difficult not being able to be physically there all the time, we're coping with it thanks to texts, calls, facebook and skype calls. Thank goodness for technology!

It'll only be for one academic year she'll be in London, after which she'll be back in Lincoln so it'd be cheaper to visit :biggrin: We're both in third year (Well, sandwich year for her)

Well, happy anniversary :biggrin:
Yeah I bet its a nightmare not being able to see each other all the time, how often do you see each other? I don't find it too hard to see my boyfriend atm as hes only an hour and 2 trains away, but just worried because I think I want to go Liverpool for uni next year so its a further distance from now. Btw, I know this is irrelevant but how do you find living in Liverpool?
Reply 7
Original post by jadekx
Well, happy anniversary :biggrin:
Yeah I bet its a nightmare not being able to see each other all the time, how often do you see each other? I don't find it too hard to see my boyfriend atm as hes only an hour and 2 trains away, but just worried because I think I want to go Liverpool for uni next year so its a further distance from now. Btw, I know this is irrelevant but how do you find living in Liverpool?

Yeah, during first and second year we were able to visit eachother about once a month, we split the cost of the train ticket. During second year we started buying tickets in advance to save further money. This year though... .gosh. This is the first time I would have visited her this academic year. I really hope I could see her during christmas but she's only got 8 free days which she'll use to spend christmas at home. We discussed one coming over to the other's house for Christmas but she can't come over to my house and Mum's not quite yet ready for a christmas without her only son. Mum was a bit sad when my older sister wasn't at home for Christmas, she moved out a while ago and spent it with her boyfriend.

But hey, we'll figure something out! Splitting the ticket cost and buying them in advance is a really good idea though!

Where are you moving from and where does he go? Liverpool is a great place though :smile: Not too sure about the nightlife myself since I'm not really a partygoer, but from what I can gather it's pretty fun! Which university are you going to?
Reply 8
Yeah, during first and second year we were able to visit eachother about once a month, we split the cost of the train ticket. During second year we started buying tickets in advance to save further money. This year though... .gosh. This is the first time I would have visited her this academic year. I really hope I could see her during christmas but she's only got 8 free days which she'll use to spend christmas at home. We discussed one coming over to the other's house for Christmas but she can't come over to my house and Mum's not quite yet ready for a christmas without her only son. Mum was a bit sad when my older sister wasn't at home for Christmas, she moved out a while ago and spent it with her boyfriend.

But hey, we'll figure something out! Splitting the ticket cost and buying them in advance is a really good idea though!

Where are you moving from and where does he go? Liverpool is a great place though :smile: Not too sure about the nightlife myself since I'm not really a partygoer, but from what I can gather it's pretty fun! Which university are you going to?

You must have such a strong relationship to survive not seeing each other so much, I would never be able to cope! I see my boyfriend quite regular even though hes at uni, but that is a good idea to split the ticket cost! I think that is literally the only thing that may hold me back from moving further away, because of how expensive train tickets are!
I'm moving from Walsall, which is about half hour away from Birmingham. He's moved and gone to Nottingham Trent.
Yeah, I just want to go to a big city I think! Well, Liverpool Hope Uni is the only uni in Liverpool which offers my course so I'm thinking of going there :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by jadekx
You must have such a strong relationship to survive not seeing each other so much, I would never be able to cope! I see my boyfriend quite regular even though hes at uni, but that is a good idea to split the ticket cost! I think that is literally the only thing that may hold me back from moving further away, because of how expensive train tickets are!
I'm moving from Walsall, which is about half hour away from Birmingham. He's moved and gone to Nottingham Trent.
Yeah, I just want to go to a big city I think! Well, Liverpool Hope Uni is the only uni in Liverpool which offers my course so I'm thinking of going there :smile:

This is actually my first proper relationship so I guess I can cope because I haven't had the intimacy of a relationship where you can see your other every day! But I wish you all the best, just keep contact and talk and draw pictures. Skype webcam is also great :biggrin:

I had a little search for return fares from Liverpool (Lime Street) to Nottingham. They seem to be £52.70 for a standard off-peak ticket. Buying well in advance (About 2-3 weeks or so) can get you down to two singles at £23.50 for the out journey and £9.50 for the return journey (Total of £33!) :smile: And that's without a railcard!

A railcard on standard is £34.80 for a return

But when bought in advance - two singles as £15.50 out, £6.25 return journey

By the way, when buying tickets well in advance, sometimes two singles work out cheaper, but it's best to check also on sites like Redspottedhanky, nationalrail and thetrainline

Hope this helps!
Reply 10
This is actually my first proper relationship so I guess I can cope because I haven't had the intimacy of a relationship where you can see your other every day! But I wish you all the best, just keep contact and talk and draw pictures. Skype webcam is also great :biggrin:

I had a little search for return fares from Liverpool (Lime Street) to Nottingham. They seem to be £52.70 for a standard off-peak ticket. Buying well in advance (About 2-3 weeks or so) can get you down to two singles at £23.50 for the out journey and £9.50 for the return journey (Total of £33!) :smile: And that's without a railcard!

A railcard on standard is £34.80 for a return

But when bought in advance - two singles as £15.50 out, £6.25 return journey

By the way, when buying tickets well in advance, sometimes two singles work out cheaper, but it's best to check also on sites like Redspottedhanky, nationalrail and thetrainline

Hope this helps!

Well you seem to be doing just fine! The trouble with my boyfriend is that he hates texting and phonecalls ect, haha! However, we still do keep in contact every single day.
Ah, thank you so much! That's so much help, I can't believe how much cheaper it is when you book in advance!
Reply 11
Original post by jadekx
Omg! How do you manage that??

Facebook pretty much every day and Skype once a week. It's difficult at times but I'm pretty sure that it's worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending