The Student Room Group

'No such thing as a Fat Anorexic'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by staticas
I completely agree with this. Nobody seems to worry until it seems like a big problem, and a threat to their health. But it is a threat to your health as soon as it begins.

But it's hard to tell you are unwell if you are at first going down to a more healthy weight, so I can understand why it isn't diagnosed. People might think when I/they look like/weigh x they will stop, but by then it can be too late and they are very deep into their mental illness, especially if they are getting lots of praise at first.
Reply 21
Today one of my friends honestly tried to convince me that there's "no such thing as a fat anorexic" I was instantly shocked.. her argument was "I've never seen a fat person with anorexia."

I tried to explain to her that it is an eating disorder, and doesn't take effect straight away on everybody..but she didn't believe me. (She is very ignorant and seems to think she knows it all)

When did people become so ignorant as to think that anorexia only occurs in extremely thin people?!

But maybe I am wrong..what do you think?

I do believe there are fat anorexics because any one can get obsessed with food intake. They can starve themselves for a few days and binge again.
Surely a certain portion of people with anorexia will begin by being overweight though? And could become anorexic or bulimic due to low self esteem/bullying about their weight?
Original post by Mousemeastro98
Actually, I think the term 'anorexic' just means does not eat enough. 'Anorexia Nervosa' is the the mental disorder. A fat person couldn't have anorexia, it would be EDNOS because they wouldnt fit all the criteria one of which -someones already said- is to have a body weight less than 85% of what it should be.

Anorexia means a loss of appetite I think. Got confused when one of the medicines I had to learn last year had anorexia as a side effect. I was like "Why do we give it to people?!"
Reply 24
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Surely a certain portion of people with anorexia will begin by being overweight though? And could become anorexic or bulimic due to low self esteem/bullying about their weight?

Exactly, that's what I thought.
I find it very ignorant for people to say "I've never seen a fat anorexic".. you can't see it until it's life threatening, it's mostly mental.
Reply 25
Original post by MJ1012
But it's hard to tell you are unwell if you are at first going down to a more healthy weight, so I can understand why it isn't diagnosed. People might think when I/they look like/weigh x they will stop, but by then it can be too late and they are very deep into their mental illness, especially if they are getting lots of praise at first.

I actually think it's pretty easy to tell, people just don't know what signs to look for, like becoming withdrawn, never eating in public, visible weightloss. And it's hardly going down to a more healthy weight if you're doing it unhealthily.
Exactly, that's what I thought.
I find it very ignorant for people to say "I've never seen a fat anorexic".. you can't see it until it's life threatening, it's mostly mental.

Yeah. I'd have thought that a fair amount of people with anorexia had at some point in their lives been overweight, and developed it as a result of bullying about being fat, or just general low self-esteem with regards to their weight. The media is vicious. I know there's also a large number of people with anorexia who were a normal weight to start with or even slightly underweight, but have body dysmorphia and see imperfections that aren't there, or use it as a control mechanism. But to say a fat person can't be anorexic is incredibly ignorant.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Chihiro95
I actually think it's pretty easy to tell, people just don't know what signs to look for, like becoming withdrawn, never eating in public, visible weightloss. And it's hardly going down to a more healthy weight if you're doing it unhealthily.

Yes, but if you will lose weight, and that leads to a more healthy weight at first (although in an unhealthy way) people will naturally think it's a good thing. Also, if someone is losing weight and not eating in public, and they are looking healthy, I'd assume they have created a stringent diet plan and eat at certain times when I'm not there. I'd love to think I'd be able to notice if a loved one was developing anorexia but that is a bit too optimistic in my opinion
Original post by MJ1012
Yes, but if you will lose weight, and that leads to a more healthy weight at first (although in an unhealthy way) people will naturally think it's a good thing. Also, if someone is losing weight and not eating in public, and they are looking healthy, I'd assume they have created a stringent diet plan and eat at certain times when I'm not there. I'd love to think I'd be able to notice if a loved one was developing anorexia but that is a bit too optimistic in my opinion

It would be easier if you lived with them and saw them all the time. It would certainly take a while for me to twig though, even if it was my housemates, I'm barely in the house so I'm not always around when they're eating. Although I rarely leave the house at weekends so I'd notice then. If it was another of my friends I probably wouldn't be able to tell, many people with anorexia become very good at hiding their condition.
Reply 29
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
It would be easier if you lived with them and saw them all the time. It would certainly take a while for me to twig though, even if it was my housemates, I'm barely in the house so I'm not always around when they're eating. Although I rarely leave the house at weekends so I'd notice then. If it was another of my friends I probably wouldn't be able to tell, many people with anorexia become very good at hiding their condition.

Exactly, I'd also want to make sure before i confronted the situation. Shouldn't accuse someone as suffering from anorexia lightly.
Reply 30
Original post by MJ1012

I understand what you're getting at but what I'm saying is the only thing stopping you from noticing if someone has an eating disorder is the misconception that you must be extremely underweight to have one. I can tell someone has bulimia if they take frequent trips to the toilet, look pale and have puffy cheeks and/or red eyes. I can tell someone could have anorexia if they make excuses as to why they won't eat way too much. The signs are there but we don't look for them because we're not aware of the real signs or want to give them the benefit of the doubt.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
I understand what you're getting at but what I'm saying is the only thing stopping you from noticing if someone has an eating disorder is the misconception that you must be extremely underweight to have one. I can tell someone has bulimia if they take frequent trips to the toilet, look pale and have puffy cheeks and/or red eyes. I can tell someone could have anorexia if they make excuses as to why they won't eat way too much. The signs are there but we don't look for them because we're not aware of the signs or want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

That is of the assumption you spend a lot of time with the person, The symptoms of bulimia could be similar to diabetes and that of just an upset person. (Someone sad and going to the toilet to cry that is.)
I do kind of agree with you though, but the majority of people don't know the symptoms of these things.
Reply 32
There definitely is, you can be anorexic whatever your current weight is.
Reply 33
Original post by MJ1012
That is of the assumption you spend a lot of time with the person, The symptoms of bulimia could be similar to diabetes and that of just an upset person. (Someone sad and going to the toilet to cry that is.)
I do kind of agree with you though, but the majority of people don't know the symptoms of these things.

The symptoms of bulimia also include fear of food, overexercise, vomit-breath, marks on knuckles, etc.- all distinctly different from any other illness.

I think it's a shame that we don't know if someone is mentally ill until they've really damaged themselves. I knew something was wrong with my sister months before she was sectioned and diagnosed with schizophrenia. In the end it made it easier for psychiatrists to diagnose her because I could give them her history.
Reply 34
The symptoms of bulimia also include fear of food, overexercise, vomit-breath, marks on knuckles, etc.- all distinctly different from any other illness.

I think it's a shame that we don't know if someone is mentally ill until they've really damaged themselves. I knew something was wrong with my sister months before she was sectioned and diagnosed with schizophrenia. In the end it made it easier for psychiatrists to diagnose her because I could give them her history.

You are definitely in the minority with that knowledge, and I assume you lived with your sister?
Good job you knew though, much less important things are being taught in schools.
Reply 35
Original post by MJ1012
You are definitely in the minority with that knowledge, and I assume you lived with your sister?
Good job you knew though, much less important things are being taught in schools.

Yes but we never spent time together because we weren't on good terms. It took hearing her delusional conversation with my other sister and another with myself for me to realise she was very unwell.

I'm glad it twigged because then I could make sure she was never on her own for too long so she couldn't hurt herself. I think a lot more should be done about raising mental health awareness. 1 in 4 people will experience it over the course of a year so it makes sense to get clued up.
(edited 10 years ago)
I do agree that by the time you get to a very low weight you are completely under the control of the illness and so it is much harder to treat, but until that point it is hard to diagnose who is truly anorexic and who is just losing weight or those girls that act like they're not eating for attention. However anorexia isn't exclusively about being thin. Starvation is control, control is tough but bones are beautiful when thin isn't enough.

Also you can have cancer for a long time before it's diagnosed, so I suppose the same can be said about anorexia, there just aren't definitive biological tests. You can't scan someone's brain and tell if they're hearing voices telling them that if they eat they're a failure and don't deserve to be happy.

To be honest I should probably leave this thread, it took me a long time to accept that being able to see my bones through my clothes wasn't a good thing and I needed to gain weight and be okay with being a 'healthy' weight, all this talk of being fat is getting to me a bit.
Reply 37
Your weight can drop a lot if you're bulimic.

True - but if it drops significantly below your 'expected' weight you're anorexic...
Yes but we never spent time together because we weren't on good terms. It took hearing her delusional conversation with my other sister and another with myself for me to realise she was very unwell.

I'm glad it twigged because then I could make sure she was never on her own for too long so she couldn't hurt herself. I think a lot more should be done about raising mental health awareness. 1 in 4 people will experience it over the course of a year so it makes sense to get clued up.

There should be a lot more public education regarding mental health, so many people have mental health problems and have no idea how to handle them, or what to do if their friend/relative is suffering. Uni was a massive shock for me in that respect. I'd never realised just how many people suffered with their mental health until then, and I didn't have the slightest clue what to do. Barely do now, to be honest.
Reply 39
Original post by hslt
True - but if it drops significantly below your 'expected' weight you're anorexic...

No, because you still purge, therefore you're bulimic. I'm underweight and bulimic. The reason I'm underweight is because I can't keep anything I eat down, not because I restrict. Anorexics don't purge, unless a person's mainly anorexic but also has purging tendencies, in which case they're a 'purging anorexic'.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest