The Student Room Group

'No such thing as a Fat Anorexic'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
There should be a lot more public education regarding mental health, so many people have mental health problems and have no idea how to handle them, or what to do if their friend/relative is suffering. Uni was a massive shock for me in that respect. I'd never realised just how many people suffered with their mental health until then, and I didn't have the slightest clue what to do. Barely do now, to be honest.

I understand how you feel completely. I wasn't aware of mental illness until I went through it myself and understood how debilitating it is. Since then I've kind of made it my job to understand it so I know what to do if it comes back or help someone that's struggling.
Reply 41
Original post by Chihiro95
No, because you still purge, therefore you're bulimic. I'm underweight and bulimic. The reason I'm underweight is because I can't keep anything I eat down, not because I restrict. Anorexics don't purge, unless a person's mainly anorexic but also has purging tendencies, in which case they're a 'purging anorexic'.

Wrong - purging behaviour is a diagnostic criteria of both.

Bulimia requires bingeing.

Don't tell me I'm wrong without actually reading the links from highly reputable sources (ICD-10 and WHO) that are telling you you're wrong!

from the anorexia diagnostic criteria

For a definite diagnosis, all the following are required:

(b) The weight loss is self-induced by avoidance of "fattening foods" and one or more of the following: self-induced vomiting; self-induced purging; excessive exercise; use of appetite suppressants and/or diuretics.

(obviously I cut a, c, d and e - the other criteria - from this quote)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by hslt
Wrong - purging behaviour is a diagnostic criteria of both.

Bulimia requires bingeing.

Don't tell me I'm wrong without actually reading the links from highly reputable sources (ICD-10 and WHO) that are telling you you're wrong!

(obviously I cut a, c, d and e - the other criteria - from this quote)

You just pointed out the fact that purging anorexics exist which I already mentioned.

Binge-eating or purging type: less recognised; a person restricts their intake as above, but also during some bouts of restriction the person has regularly engaged in binge-eating OR purging behaviour (e.g. self induced vomiting, over-exercise, misuse of laxatives, diuretics or enemas).#

However, this type of anorexia involves restricting and it is entirely possible for a bulimic to lose via binge-purging without restricting and end up underweight, which is why I've been diagnosed with bulimia and NOT anorexia nervosa binge-purging type.

Source: http://www.eatingdisorders.org.au/eating-disorders/anorexia-nervosa
"Fat anorexics" obviously exist but are labelled differently. If someone has the anorexic symptoms other than being underweight then they are diagnosed as EDNOS.

There is still far too much work to be done in education people about mental health :frown:
Reply 44
Original post by Chihiro95
You just pointed out the fact that purging anorexics exist which I already mentioned.

Come now, you just backtracked on what you said 'you still purge therefore you're bulimic'.

However, I reread the ICD-10 stuff (used by most of the world) and in these if you binge and purge you can't be diagnosed with anorexia (although if you just binge, or just purge then this can be part of anorexia). And then if you use the American DSM criteria (the other categorising system for psych) then they split it into the subtypes you mentioned and you can be anorexic.

So, I didn't know that and thanks for teaching me. And it's a beautiful demonstration of why I hated psych - the two classification systems that the entire of psych is based on disagree quite markedly.

Have a good evening
Original post by hslt
Come now, you just backtracked on what you said 'you still purge therefore you're bulimic'.

However, I reread the ICD-10 stuff (used by most of the world) and in these if you binge and purge you can't be diagnosed with anorexia (although if you just binge, or just purge then this can be part of anorexia). And then if you use the American DSM criteria (the other categorising system for psych) then they split it into the subtypes you mentioned and you can be anorexic.

So, I didn't know that and thanks for teaching me. And it's a beautiful demonstration of why I hated psych - the two classification systems that the entire of psych is based on disagree quite markedly.

Have a good evening

Sorry not adding anything at all but DSM is the commonly used diagnostic tool for America and UK (plus other Western Countries)
Reply 46
Original post by ChelseyElla
Sorry not adding anything at all but DSM is the commonly used diagnostic tool for America and UK (plus other Western Countries)

I know, in my experience, clinicians tend to pick and choose the definitions they prefer - I thought the rest of Europe was fairly strongly ICD though?
Original post by hslt
I know, in my experience, clinicians tend to pick and choose the definitions they prefer - I thought the rest of Europe was fairly strongly ICD though?

That's why it's in brackets as it depends! I know France use the ICD but not sure on the others. The differences in diagnostic tools cause so much trouble! I don't know much about ICD to explain the differences!
Reply 48
Im not trying to offend anybody,
but i think theres anorexia caused by genetics (which a person has from very yound age, before theyre even open to all the media crap) - which is extreamly hard/impossible to get out of (i know from myself, ive been afraid of eating/food/gaining weight since i realised food caused weight gain and used to count calories by the age of 6),
And then theres those who get influenced by media and the whole thinspo voodoo for a time being (apparently i triggered my friend) but they soon find it unsustainable and give up/get treatment and recover much easier.
Im forced to go to eating disorder clinics, as ive been for as long as i can remember and theres so much more to it than 'losing weight'.
The reason i think there can be no fat anorexic is because anorexia is a mental disorder and the person is usualyy affected from birth, hence childhood so doesnt have a chance to gain weight.
Before i was hospitalised i dropped to 27kg and id rather die than gain weight.
Now at 36kg i wish i could dissappear..
doesn't anorexia happen when someone of a healthy weight or underweight believes that they r fat? and the result of anorexia is being skinny?

Quick Reply

Latest