The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Start looking for off campus accommodation!

If you haven't already started, I highly recommend looking for accommodation for your second year ASAP

Looking at accommodation with some friends and the good housing is already disappearing fast!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
How does it work if I haven't met anyone I want to live with yet? Is there a way you can just apply to have a room in any flat?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Try and find people, we are planning on getting 2 4 bedroom houses, if you want to live with us pm me we have 1 place free

You can apply to live on campus again this year, but living in town for your second year is quite a lot cheaper and is a different experience

Original post by MMAGuy
Try and find people, we are planning on getting 2 4 bedroom houses, if you want to live with us pm me we have 1 place free

You can apply to live on campus again this year, but living in town for your second year is quite a lot cheaper and is a different experience

Second years are of lowest priority for getting campus accommodation. If you're in one of the smaller colleges (I'm in the smallest) then you have about the same chance as a snowball in hell of getting campus accommodation as a second year.

Original post by rainbowstalin
How does it work if I haven't met anyone I want to live with yet? Is there a way you can just apply to have a room in any flat?

Citiblock does this if I'm not mistaken :smile: One of my flatmates from halls went with Citiblock and was put in a flat of 8 with random people, the same as first year on campus really!
Reply 4
Original post by desdemonata
Second years are of lowest priority for getting campus accommodation. If you're in one of the smaller colleges (I'm in the smallest) then you have about the same chance as a snowball in hell of getting campus accommodation as a second year.

Which college are you in?

In Bowland I know quite a lot of second, third and Fourth years that live on campus

I would ideally be looking for a flat full of 3rd years or something lol, I'm very quiet and like keeping myself to myself (I realise this isn't very helpful).

I'll ask around a few friends if they want to look together, but they all seem to want to move in with their current flat mates in halls.
Original post by MMAGuy
Which college are you in?

In Bowland I know quite a lot of second, third and Fourth years that live on campus

Furness.

Bowland is the second biggest college after County. That's what I meant :smile: People in Bowland or County can if they want to, whereas Furness is much smaller so...
Also some fourth years are guaranteed accommodation on campus (if they did a year abroad or placement year). And as I said second years are lowest priority, and third/final years come after those that have guaranteed places so you're much more likely to get campus accommodation as a third year.
(edited 10 years ago)
I would ideally be looking for a flat full of 3rd years or something lol, I'm very quiet and like keeping myself to myself (I realise this isn't very helpful).

I'll ask around a few friends if they want to look together, but they all seem to want to move in with their current flat mates in halls.

Often later on in the year people will have a room free and advertise it around campus. I wouldn't bank on this though.

I'm with a flatmate from last year and 2 people from another flat, and you can keep to yourself with people you know :smile: If you like keeping to yourself it makes it easier, because then it doesn't matter so much who you live with.

I would recommend trying to find people who are tidy though. It's really annoying to be the only one who ever bothers to clean things :erm:
OK last question, say if I wanted to move into a studio on my own, is Morecambe too far to get the bus from? I may be able to get a car as my parents are looking to get rid of an old one too, but in case I can't, is it feasible to commute from Morecambe?
OK last question, say if I wanted to move into a studio on my own, is Morecambe too far to get the bus from? I may be able to get a car as my parents are looking to get rid of an old one too, but in case I can't, is it feasible to commute from Morecambe?

Hmm I'm afraid I don't actually know how long the bus journey is from Morecambe. If you really wanted to find out do a day trip using the 2/2A (I think they pass through there) and see how long it takes? :dontknow:

I will warn you that you will find it near impossible to park on campus. You need to get a parking permit and there are pretty strict eligibility conditions. My flatmate has a car and he only uses it to get to campus on the one day where he only has one lecture, so he can leave it outside the Sports Centre (2 hours parking there) and drive back home. I wouldn't get a car if I were you. It's a real hassle finding parking on campus, and in town, too.

I would probably say it's safer to be in Lancaster though. You could apply for Citiblock or Chancellor's Wharf?
Original post by desdemonata
I will warn you that you will find it near impossible to park on campus. You need to get a parking permit and there are pretty strict eligibility conditions. My flatmate has a car and he only uses it to get to campus on the one day where he only has one lecture, so he can leave it outside the Sports Centre (2 hours parking there) and drive back home. I wouldn't get a car if I were you. It's a real hassle finding parking on campus, and in town, too.

One of the eligibility conditions on the website is "have brought their car by ferry" which is what I'd be doing, so I think I'd be sorted for that, thanks for letting me know though!

It's just I've had a bad experience this year with flat mates, and I really do enjoy just being quiet and getting on with things, so I'm almost certain I'd be much happier on my own.

Thanks for your help, I was feeling a bit nervous about getting accommodation sorted and I'm feeling much better now.
One of the eligibility conditions on the website is "have brought their car by ferry" which is what I'd be doing, so I think I'd be sorted for that, thanks for letting me know though!

It's just I've had a bad experience this year with flat mates, and I really do enjoy just being quiet and getting on with things, so I'm almost certain I'd be much happier on my own.

Thanks for your help, I was feeling a bit nervous about getting accommodation sorted and I'm feeling much better now.

Really? That's odd, in the categories I looked at you basically needed someone to be dependent on you :dontknow:

No problem :h:
Reply 12
How's everyones accommodation search going, seems i'm a little screwed nows that alot of my friends are studying abroad or deciding to live on campus xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending