The Student Room Group

Do you think Howard Webb is a world class referee?

Do you?
Reply 1
Simple answer to this question is yes. Has earnt respect worldwide and rightly so, and also the only official EVER to be awarded a Champions League Final and a World Cup Final in the same year.

Unfortunately, I can predict a lot of people commenting on his "United bias" amongst other things... Inevitable...
Reply 2
After the penalty he just gave to juventus, no.
Reply 3
Original post by Pistol 33

^ Haven't seen that yet, but to base a judgement on one decision is ludicrous.
Reply 4
Original post by Pistol 33

lolz!!! was just about to say the same thing, opened this thread after seeing how he gave a soft penalty
I only saw one replay but wrt this penalty, didn't Pogba kick the ball away first and then Varane go into his foot? in any case Varane didn't have the angle to get the ball before the boot
Reply 6
Of course I do, I'm a Manchester United fan :smile:
Nope. After his performance in the World Cup final :lol:

Good but not world class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, he's one of the best referees in the world the last 3-5 years. When he first came into the league he wasn't very good but he's gotten to be excellent at what he does.

Same thing with Mark Clattenburg, I mean Webb was never as bad as he was in his early career but he's another one that's gone from being pretty ****ty to actually a really good referee.
Reply 9
Yes, Webb really has established himself in the BPL. The reason why I think he is a good referee is because of his experience in contrast to some other new referees that have recently come into the game that don't have a clue-Who normally do what the fan's say!
Yes, in particular his handling of players when they're questioning his decisions etc is top-notch.

And to the inevitable people that say he can't be world class because he got x decision wrong, refereeing is bloody hard. Try it some time. All refs make mistakes, and understandably, but Webb is still one of the best out there.
Reply 11

This guy was the best ref ever!

Webb is good but not outstanding :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest