The Student Room Group

Statistics Question Please Help

The supervisor of a very large plant obtained the times(in seconds) to complete a task for a random sample of employees. This information and other data about the employees are stored in the data file Completion Times.
a. Give an example of a categorical variable with ordinal responses.
b. Give an example of a categorical variable with nominal responses.
c. Give an example of a numerical variable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Enbako
The supervisor of a very large plant obtained the times(in seconds) to complete a task for a random sample of employees. This information and other data about the employees are stored in the data file Completion Times.
a. Give an example of a categorical variable with ordinal responses.
b. Give an example of a categorical variable with nominal responses.
c. Give an example of a numerical variable.

What are you stuck on

Do you not have a glossary of terms
Reply 2
categorical variable: produces responses that belongs to groups at categories. For example, responses to yes/no questions
numerical variable: includes both discrete and continuous variables.
discrete may have finite number of values Ex students enrolled in a class
continuous may take on any value within a given range of real numbers Ex someone might say that he is 6 feet (72 inches) tall, but his height could actually be 72.1 or 71.8 inches
ordinal data indicates the rank ordering of items. For example; Product quality rating (1:tongue:oor 2:average 3:good)
values of nominal variables are words that decribe the categories or classes of responses
1= male 2= female
1= yes 2=no arbitrarily assigned codes or numbers to each response. Just for categorizing

these are from my notebook, but i couldnt get anything. This question is an assignment
Reply 3
Original post by Enbako

these are from my notebook, but i couldnt get anything. This question is an assignment

Well, your task is not well defined but I think the key is that the database contains "other information"

So you just need to think of something that could be in the database that fits the description
Reply 4
Thank you so much man. You are a lifesaver. :smile: I found out the database which is downloadable from one website
Reply 5
Original post by Enbako
Thank you so much man. You are a lifesaver. :smile: I found out the database which is downloadable from one website

np

Quick Reply

Latest