The Student Room Group

Will a relationship last if you get an abortion?

Can a relationship last if you have an abortion? (Eg relationship of some length and you were pregnant with your partners baby)

I told my boyfriend that if I was pregnant I'd want an abortion and he replied with 'how could you destroy something that we made together'.

I know a girl whose relationship that broke down after she had an abortion.

I guess it's all to do with individual situations but I would like to hear your thoughts.
It will probably break down if you wanted it but he didn't.
If it was a mutual decision then you are more likely to get past it.
Reply 2
It would obviously depend on the partners views on abortion.
Reply 3
in some cases it can be the most sensible option, even for two people in a long term relationship.
Reply 4
If its what you both want, then yes the relationship will most likely be fine once the abortion is done.

If only one of you wants the abortion and the other isn't willing to accept it or is willing to but will hold a grudge, you can almost be certain it'll lead to arguments and casting up down the line. You shouldn't be put off having an abortion though because you are scared of your partner's reaction. If it really isn't the best time for you to have kid due to financial, emotional or whatever other reason, its your call. No one elses. Your partner can have an opinion and voice it but they can't stop you if you want an abortion and like wise, cannot force you into one if you don't want an abortion.
Reply 5
Surely it depends on whether your partner wants an abortion or not .... :erm:
I'm pro-choice so if my girlfriend/wife decided to abort for a good reason I'd have no problem with it, so I assume it would last, yes.
The abortion would destroy the relationship if one of the parties did not support the abortion. If the woman wants to abort and her boyfriend/fiance/husband wanted to keep the baby, then the male would have every right to hold it against her, as it was his child that was aborted. It's extremely hard to carry on in a relationship where you feel that your partner has taken a child away from you. However, if the woman wanted to keep the baby and the man wanted her to abort, then the woman could abort (which she could hold against him for the same reasons), or she could keep it and he could resent her for essentially forcing him to be a parent.

Unfortunately when this situation arises, both parties need to agree in order to continue with the relationship without resentment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending