The Student Room Group

Should I include future plans in personal statement conclusion?

I plan to follow a career in advertising, research and marketing. Is it worth putting it in the conclusion to show what I aim to get from the course or not because it is not directly related to the subject?
Yes, it's perfectly fine to do that - more so, it shows you know what you're getting yourself into and that you know what to expect out of the course. Perhaps you could link it to your course by saying you plan to follow a career in the advertising, research... linked to psychology in some way.
Reply 2
Original post by AeroPlane04
Yes, it's perfectly fine to do that - more so, it shows you know what you're getting yourself into and that you know what to expect out of the course. Perhaps you could link it to your course by saying you plan to follow a career in the advertising, research... linked to psychology in some way.

Thank you very much. I'll do that then!
I would say that actually unis don't care very much about what you want to do after you finish - they want you to do well in the course, and it's understandable that your ideas may well change through your 3 years. I would advise not putting something not directly related to psychology (in that you don't need a psychology degree to do it)
Reply 4
Original post by (oxy)moron
I plan to follow a career in advertising, research and marketing. Is it worth putting it in the conclusion to show what I aim to get from the course or not because it is not directly related to the subject?

When I was researching what universities look for in a personal statement I did see that future plans they do find interesting. I think they want to (but it's not necessary) to see what you're aiming to do with your degree that they will be awarding you. The problem is, they obviously don't want to get the idea that you're doing psychology just because it's "fun" or something, and then go into something completely unrelated. If you can briefly explain career interests and what you might want to use your psychology degree for in terms of these interests then they can see a link. If you think you cannot link the two, then it might work against you, therefore I'd leave it out.
Reply 5
Thanks everybody, I've sent off my application now and in the end I decided I would put the career plans in with links to my course. Thanks for all the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest