The Student Room Group

UCL Msc in Machine Learning or Msc in Computational Statistic and Machine Learning

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey guys, another applicant over here!
I'll make my UCL application this week and also for Edinburgh's programme, but I'd really like to go to UCL..

Good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by NoCommentMan
Yes, I have. :smile:

Just one question: did you apply to one of the programmes or both and why?

MSc in CSML seems to be the same as ML with some additional statistical modules. I would be more than happy to receive an offer for either one, so I don't know what to do..
Original post by coloratus
Just one question: did you apply to one of the programmes or both and why?

MSc in CSML seems to be the same as ML with some additional statistical modules. I would be more than happy to receive an offer for either one, so I don't know what to do..

I've applied for one program. I don't know whether you are allowed to apply to more than one program at UCL. I suppose it is not allowed.

I've applied for the MSc in CSML because I have got a statistics background. Maybe I would have applied for ML if I had a degree in computing.
Reply 23
I've applied for one program. I don't know whether you are allowed to apply to more than one program at UCL. I suppose it is not allowed.

I've applied for the MSc in CSML because I have got a statistics background. Maybe I would have applied for ML if I had a degree in computing.

I think I've read something about applying to multiple courses, you just need to make new application for each one.

Anyhow, my background is computing, so I'll apply to ML.
Original post by Khushboo786

Could you please indicate how long it took UCL to give you the offer?
Reply 25
It took 3 weeks to get the offer. how about you? When had you applied?
Original post by Khushboo786
It took 3 weeks to get the offer. how about you? When had you applied?

It's been around 6 weeks now. I do not quite understand what is going on behind the scene but something is terribly wrong down at UCL.

Have you actually sorted out your problem with them?
Reply 27
It's been around 6 weeks now. I do not quite understand what is going on behind the scene but something is terribly wrong down at UCL.

Have you actually sorted out your problem with them?

I've some read comments from last year's applicants, some of them received decision after 2-3 months...
The site also says that each application is processed separately and differently, so I think that everything is OK, you should just wait a bit more.
Original post by coloratus
I've some read comments from last year's applicants, some of them received decision after 2-3 months...
The site also says that each application is processed separately and differently, so I think that everything is OK, you should just wait a bit more.

Well, you say it! I would more than happy if it was like that. The story is a little bit complicated ... in short: I had received an email telling me that I would get a decision by a certain date. One week after that "certain" date, I did not receive any response and in fact not even an email. The point here is that I do not complain that it's taking so long - in fact, some other universities, I applied to, take even longer but they do not tell you, you will get a response in a few days and then never get in touch with you. That sort of behavior is disrespectful. Whatever ... got my offer from the School of Informatics at Edinburgh University. I will withdraw my application at UCL next week. If they do not have time to be respectful, then I do not have time to spend my money on them.
Reply 29
Hi,
I'm a french student, and I intend to apply to UCL Msc in CSML.
Is it too late to apply by january ? the fact that some of you have already applied several weeks ago and got a unconditional offer makes me quite nervous. Contrary to Oxford, the deadline on UCL website (August) seems so late that I cannot know when applying might be considered too late to get an offer.
Also, I have a side question. I'm going to apply to Oxford Msc in Applied Statistics and I'd like to know your opinion on what are the differences between these two Msc. I have quite a strong mathematical background, and I'm really interested in indepth statistics.
Lastly, I'm concerned about the fact that none of these Msc tackles the algorithmic/programming issues that one encounters when dealing with real life machine learning/statistics problems.

Tanks,
Raphael
Reply 30
Original post by rlkrlk

Is it too late to apply by january ? the fact that some of you have already applied several weeks ago and got a unconditional offer makes me quite nervous.

Hey Raphael! I've read some stories from previous years by people who applied much later and got the offer, so I think you shouldn't be worried. Besides I don't think application made by January can be regarded as 'late'.

Original post by rlkrlk

Also, I have a side question. I'm going to apply to Oxford Msc in Applied Statistics and I'd like to know your opinion on what are the differences between these two Msc. I have quite a strong mathematical background, and I'm really interested in indepth statistics.

I have no idea about the Oxford MSc, but I think Machine Learning is far cooler :biggrin:

Original post by rlkrlk

Lastly, I'm concerned about the fact that none of these Msc tackles the algorithmic/programming issues that one encounters when dealing with real life machine learning/statistics problems.

There are modules within UCL MSc like Programming and Mathematical methods in Machine Learning and Applied Machine Learning which cover these issues, but I believe other modules as well cover practical side as well as theoretical.

This is just my opinion, I'm a bit biased since I have received an offer by UCL and I think I'll accept it. So I definitely suggest going for UCL's MSc :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I am biased too as you can imagine. :biggrin:

I have accepted Edinburgh University for the MSc in artificial intelligence. I think it is a better option in many aspects. i.e. more courses to choose from, 60 credits final project (instead of 30 as at UCL) and there are at least 2 funding body at the University and School, I am aware of, you can apply to.

By the way, I also had applied to Oxford University for the MSc in Applied Statistics. I have withdrawn my application after I got the offer from Edinburgh - of course. As coloratus said, ML is much cooler. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
@coloratus: How long did you have to wait to get an offer from UCL?
@nocommentman: How long did you have to wait to get an offer from Edinburgh?
I'm applying to both also, but still waiting for reco letter from my recommenders.

Anyway, any of you guys thinking of doing PhD after this MSc? I am particularly interested in Gatsby Lab @ UCL research. They sort of doing computational neuroscience stuff which I think is cool.
Reply 33
Original post by DotA Guy

Several weeks passed from the date of my application and the date I had all references uploaded. Once I did, I have received received offer from UCL a week later and offer from Edinburgh few days later
It might take Unis much longer at the moment due to holidays though

Anyway, any of you guys thinking of doing PhD after this MSc? I am particularly interested in Gatsby Lab @ UCL research. They sort of doing computational neuroscience stuff which I think is cool.

I would definitely like to do a PhD, but I'm still unsure where/when.. Gatsby Lab sure sounds amazing!
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm applying to both also, but still waiting for reco letter from my recommenders.

It took Edinburgh just a few days to get back to me.

I do not plan to do a PhD but I may consider it if the circumstances (mainly money) permit it.
Hello everyone,

I am going to apply to Computational Statistic and Machine Learning at UCL. I just wanted to ask if anyone has been called in for an interview as part of the application process and if that were the case, what kind of questions can I expect to be asked if they call me? I wonder if I would need to go ever some concepts or if the interview goes more to a personal level.

Thanks
Reply 36
Original post by webitopelao

I am going to apply to Computational Statistic and Machine Learning at UCL. I just wanted to ask if anyone has been called in for an interview as part of the application process and if that were the case, what kind of questions can I expect to be asked if they call me? I wonder if I would need to go ever some concepts or if the interview goes more to a personal level.

According to this, they shouldn't interview you:
http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/admissions/common_pages/faqs_postgraduate/#c6238
In my case, I didn't have any interview, they just sent me an offer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Hi guys, just want to tell that I too have got offers from Edinburgh AI and UCL ML. I think I will go to UCL.

And by the way I found a review of the program while browsing quora the other day. It is worth reading: http://www.quora.com/Machine-Learning/What-is-it-like-to-study-masters-in-machine-learning-at-UCL-University-College-London
Reply 38

I applied for the MSc CSML in March and got an offer for MSc ML about a week from the date my second referee uploaded his reference. I've been told it takes longer sometimes though.

My main goal is actually a PhD. I'm using the MSc to strengthen my foundation in ML before going into research. I looked at the Gatsby department and they sure do cool stuff. What area are you looking to do your research in?
Reply 39
Original post by fayimora
I applied for the MSc CSML in March and got an offer for MSc ML about a week from the date my second referee uploaded his reference. I've been told it takes longer sometimes though.

My main goal is actually a PhD. I'm using the MSc to strengthen my foundation in ML before going into research. I looked at the Gatsby department and they sure do cool stuff. What area are you looking to do your research in?

Hi fayimora!

I'm thinking of doing PhD after this MSc too. I'm quite open to doing research in theoretical or applied machine learning. For the applied side of machine learning I would prefer research in natural language and computer vision.
I'm also interested in the current ML research trend of deep learning. I hope they will cover this topic in any of the courses offered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending