The Student Room Group

Best friend is cheating on her boyfriend!

Scroll to see replies

Tell him. That way you keep the friend worth having.

Tell her you are going to do it first though, an old friend deserves your honesty.

Of course ultimately you should ignore this and everyone else in favour of whatever it is you think is right.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Spongebob'sPants
Well, this is a tricky one.

I'd be so disappointed if my close friends acted this way.

I guess it depends on your relationship with your best friends boyfriend. Are you two actually close? Are you genuine friends with him also?

If so, then as a friend to him, you do have some sort of duty and loyalty.

If he is just someone you know because of your best friend, then it becomes more difficult to make that judgement call.

Morally, yes, he has a right to know.

If you do tell him, you'd be ending your friendship with your friend.

I suggest that you keep on talking with your best friend and keep on trying to convince her to stop cheating on her boyfriend. Don't just stop cos she brushed you off once or twice.

If you care for her, then you'll keep on pointing out to her that this wrong. Hopefully the message gets through.

I only knew him through my best friend and ever since we've actually gotten along very well. He's a good friend who I know I go to when I'm down. I've spoken to her many times about this but she keeps promising me that she will soon before we go to university. I know it's horrible of her to lead him on till that but she said that she does want him around and that she doesn't want to lose him to anyone else. Selfish right? But she's my bbf and someone who I can trust in my life. Now what do I do?
Reply 22
Don't tell him, you don't have an obligation to and you don't want to lose your best friend. You have nothing to gain and a lot to lose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
The bf is only a good friend to me, he's someone I can go to when I'm down because he knows how to make me smile but my bff was the only person in my life who had been there at my lowest point. She was the only person who helped me out when I was depressed and angry at myself and I can't betray that. She was there for me shouldn't I be there for her? And yes I have seen her cheat on him when we went to a party. I have asked plenty of times to just go and tell him straight about this but she claims that she doesn't want to until uni! I don't know why she wants to lead him on till then because every time I ask she said that she doesn't want to lose him and she does actually like and wants him all to herself. Selfish I know! Now what do I do? Sit back and see how this goes? Or snake on her?
Reply 24
Original post by Cookie06
The bf is only a good friend to me, he's someone I can go to when I'm down because he knows how to make me smile but my bff was the only person in my life who had been there at my lowest point. She was the only person who helped me out when I was depressed and angry at myself and I can't betray that. She was there for me shouldn't I be there for her? And yes I have seen her cheat on him when we went to a party. I have asked plenty of times to just go and tell him straight about this but she claims that she doesn't want to until uni! I don't know why she wants to lead him on till then because every time I ask she said that she doesn't want to lose him and she does actually like and wants him all to herself. Selfish I know! Now what do I do? Sit back and see how this goes? Or snake on her?

I wouldn't snake on a friend who has been there for you, that is just wrong.
And it seems your friend is scared of hurting him and then facing him the day after, it's the reason why she want to wait til uni so she can break up before she goes.
Have a proper talk with her. Ask her how she would feel if she really liked someone and found out they'd been cheating on her loads. Ask her if she even feels guilty about it.

She can't expect you to keep basically covering for her, its not fair on you, and it definitely isn't fair on him.

If you value your friendship more, keep it quiet. If you feel you can't keep seeing her lying to him, give her one more chance, tell her you'll tell him if she doesn't. If you do that, don't back out, show her you're completely serious, and she may panic and tell him herself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're going to tell him, get evidence of some kind. It's just going to turn into "he said, she said", or in this case, "she said, she said" if your friend denies the accusation.
You should seduce her boyfriend.
Reply 28
Original post by Shaun1991
You should seduce her boyfriend.

I don't think 'seducing' him would be a good idea :/
Reply 29
Original post by Flobie
Have a proper talk with her. Ask her how she would feel if she really liked someone and found out they'd been cheating on her loads. Ask her if she even feels guilty about it.

She can't expect you to keep basically covering for her, its not fair on you, and it definitely isn't fair on him.

If you value your friendship more, keep it quiet. If you feel you can't keep seeing her lying to him, give her one more chance, tell her you'll tell him if she doesn't. If you do that, don't back out, show her you're completely serious, and she may panic and tell him herself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's true because recently she has been a bit distant with her bf and won't attend any calls from him and I need to end up giving a damn excuse when he asks me about her. I don't know what to say and I can't lie to him any longer so I did tell her that she has one chance to confront him and she said she'll do it soon but I doubt it.
Reply 30
Original post by Vixen47
If you're going to tell him, get evidence of some kind. It's just going to turn into "he said, she said", or in this case, "she said, she said" if your friend denies the accusation.

That is so true and thank you :smile:
Original post by Mankytoes
Surprised by the responses, I think you should always be loyal to your mates, even if they're in the wrong. I've known friends to cheat (though I've never really known the girlfriend), and I've encouraged them to fess up or break up, but never considered grassing.

Also, surprising how many people think she should just break up a friendship over this. Clearly doesn't mean much to some people to be a mate.
If they're worthy of being a mate then they'd either own up themselves or accept their friend telling the BF, who has a right to know.
Depends how good a friend she is, if you tell him then you should know that'll probably be your friendship over.
Reply 33
Hey guys, so thanks for all your thoughts on this issue but I've decided that I'm not going to help the girl who slept with my bf whilst I was going out with him. Heck, I probably don't care now. It's funny how, the one person you trust in this world with all your heart turns out to be the biggest bitch of all. I didn't expect it coming but when we were having a row over the weekend about her telling her bf about the countless amount of times she slept with other guys she decided to tell me how she slept with mine last month. I don't know if she purposely said it so that she could see me hurt, or if it just slipped out of her mouth accidentally all I can say now is that I may sometime in the future might forgive but I'll will never forget what she did.
I'd say you should tell him.
Reply 35
Hey guys, so thanks for all your thoughts on this issue but I've decided that I'm not going to help the girl who slept with my bf whilst I was going out with him. Heck, I probably don't care now. It's funny how, the one person you trust in this world with all your heart turns out to be the biggest bitch of all. I didn't expect it coming but when we were having a row over the weekend about her telling her bf about the countless amount of times she slept with other guys she decided to tell me how she slept with mine last month. I don't know if she purposely said it so that she could see me hurt, or if it just slipped out of her mouth accidentally all I can say now is that I can never forgive her.
Reply 36
Hey guys, so thanks for all your thoughts on this issue but I've decided that I'm not going to help the girl who slept with my bf whilst I was going out with him. Heck, I probably don't care now. It's funny how, the one person you trust in this world with all your heart turns out to be the biggest bitch of all. I didn't expect it coming but when we were having a row over the weekend about her telling her bf about the countless amount of times she slept with other guys she decided to tell me how she slept with mine last month. I don't know if she purposely said it so that she could see me hurt, or if it just slipped out of her mouth accidentally all I can say now is that I may sometime in the future might forgive but I'll will never forget what she did.

As figured, she's a crap friend. Sorry to hear about her cheating with your boyfriend (and really, cheating on your friendship with her).
Original post by cookie06
hey guys, so thanks for all your thoughts on this issue but i've decided that i'm not going to help the girl who slept with my bf whilst i was going out with him. Heck, i probably don't care now. It's funny how, the one person you trust in this world with all your heart turns out to be the biggest bitch of all. I didn't expect it coming but when we were having a row over the weekend about her telling her bf about the countless amount of times she slept with other guys she decided to tell me how she slept with mine last month. I don't know if she purposely said it so that she could see me hurt, or if it just slipped out of her mouth accidentally all i can say now is that i can never forgive her.

SHAME the SLAG! SHAAAAAME the SLAAAAAAAG!

*Grabs flaming torch*
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Hey guys, so thanks for all your thoughts on this issue but I've decided that I'm not going to help the girl who slept with my bf whilst I was going out with him. Heck, I probably don't care now. It's funny how, the one person you trust in this world with all your heart turns out to be the biggest bitch of all. I didn't expect it coming but when we were having a row over the weekend about her telling her bf about the countless amount of times she slept with other guys she decided to tell me how she slept with mine last month. I don't know if she purposely said it so that she could see me hurt, or if it just slipped out of her mouth accidentally all I can say now is that I can never forgive her.

Now she deserves all she gets

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39

Were you able to verify this with your boyfriend? He sounds like a prick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending