The Student Room Group

Do I seem fickle?

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question to get your opinions because I want to find out how I appear from somebody else's perspective, so that I know how the universities I apply to may see me.

I originally started at Sixth Form and did Business and Economics, Maths, Further Maths and French, because at the time I thought I wanted to do a degree in Business mixed with a degree in either Maths or French (Joint Honours). This Sixth Form was in its first year of running when I started, based in a middle school (only one lab for all of the chemistry students, still had toilets for middle school children so they were really low down, barely any computers, etc) so I honestly felt that I wasn't getting the resources nor the quality teaching I needed. I chose to go there in the first place because it was run by the same people as my high school, which I felt was of a high standard and so thought the sixth form would be too. How wrong was I?!

Anyway, I also realised halfway through my AS-Levels that I hated 3/4 of the subjects I was studying and the only one I really enjoyed and was passionate about was Business and Economics. This is the subject I got an A in. In fact, I got the highest mark on both of my AS papers in the entire year and the head of the department constantly photocopied my work to hand out to other students as examples.

I decided I was going to leave and do a BTEC instead around November, despite my teacher (the head of year and head of the Business department) practically begging me to stay because I was her best student. But instead of leaving there and then, I knew that I couldn't start a BTEC course until September anyway and I didn't want to waste all that time I had already spent at the sixth form, so I stayed despite hating it and did my exams in January and in May/June. I ended up getting ABDE, which I think is alright considering I hated it.

I now am studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business Management and Finance. All of the universities I am thinking of applying to (Leeds, Cardiff and Sheffield) state they accept that as a qualification (at least for Business Management anyway - Leeds doesn't accept it to do an Economics degree), but I am worried that because I left sixth form half way through and started again at college, that I will look fickle, undecided and even as a quitter and that this may negatively affect their decision whether to give me an offer or not.

What do you think?
Reply 1
Hello!

Have you written a personal statement yet? Because you could put that in there. Universities (as do employers) love passion and motivation, and it's plain to see that your passionate about the subject!

Use your personal statement to your advantage! Just because you tried something and didn't like it, doesn't by any means mean your fickle!

Good luck!

:smile:
Don't talk about past mistakes in a PS. It's a waste of characters. If you feel your education needs to be explained, get your referee to do it.

A lot of people change courses partway through their A-levels/post 16 education. Ultimately, you've done what you've done, and you can't go back and change any of it, so you will just have to apply and hope for the best. Universities will understand that at 16 you don't always have the experience to make the best choices for your education, and sometimes people change their minds.

So long as you do well in your BTEC, it should be a big problem.
The universities will not think you're fickle, especially because you finished your A levels and gained decent results. You're essentially now on a gap year and you're doing another course.That's all. Depending on the policies of the universities you're applying for, you may find that they will ask for a reduced grade in your Extended Diploma as they will use the AB grades that you already have from A level.

If you're worried, contact the admissions departments and ask how they'd consider your application. You don't need to give a massive background, more the basics and ask how they would consider an application from you. You'll then have a better idea of what to expect from them when you apply.
Reply 4
Original post by oxymoronic
The universities will not think you're fickle, especially because you finished your A levels and gained decent results. You're essentially now on a gap year and you're doing another course.That's all. Depending on the policies of the universities you're applying for, you may find that they will ask for a reduced grade in your Extended Diploma as they will use the AB grades that you already have from A level.

If you're worried, contact the admissions departments and ask how they'd consider your application. You don't need to give a massive background, more the basics and ask how they would consider an application from you. You'll then have a better idea of what to expect from them when you apply.

I didn't finish my A-Levels I only completed my AS-Levels before I decided to leave :/ I'm worried because before you leave high school you have A Levels rammed down your throat like it's the only option, and that's all they talk about at uni open days, so I feel like a BTEC is looked down on? Even though it's solely focusing on that one subject rather than part focusing on that and two others like you do at A Levels.
Reply 5
Original post by angelash156
Hello!

Have you written a personal statement yet? Because you could put that in there. Universities (as do employers) love passion and motivation, and it's plain to see that your passionate about the subject!

Use your personal statement to your advantage! Just because you tried something and didn't like it, doesn't by any means mean your fickle!

Good luck!

:smile:

I hope they see it that way and not just as "oh she's fickle and can't decide what she wants" or "she hasn't got the dedication so she quit" and not want me :frown: no I haven't written my personal statement yet, dreading it!
Reply 6
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Don't talk about past mistakes in a PS. It's a waste of characters. If you feel your education needs to be explained, get your referee to do it.

A lot of people change courses partway through their A-levels/post 16 education. Ultimately, you've done what you've done, and you can't go back and change any of it, so you will just have to apply and hope for the best. Universities will understand that at 16 you don't always have the experience to make the best choices for your education, and sometimes people change their minds.

So long as you do well in your BTEC, it should be a big problem.

I know I shouldn't bring it up because it's bad, but I feel like I need to jjustify it? Otherwise they'll just see on a piece of paper that I left sixth form and they'll have no explanation why.
Original post by lucyrholmes
I know I shouldn't bring it up because it's bad, but I feel like I need to jjustify it? Otherwise they'll just see on a piece of paper that I left sixth form and they'll have no explanation why.

You can ask your referee to justify it, if you want. If you really want to mention it, talk about it in a positive light e.g. "I changed to a BTEC in business and finance because this is the area I know I really want to study" sort of thing. But making a big deal of it will end up wasting characters and 4000 may seem like a lot before you start writing but it really isn't that much, about 600-700 words.
I didn't finish my A-Levels I only completed my AS-Levels before I decided to leave :/ I'm worried because before you leave high school you have A Levels rammed down your throat like it's the only option, and that's all they talk about at uni open days, so I feel like a BTEC is looked down on? Even though it's solely focusing on that one subject rather than part focusing on that and two others like you do at A Levels.

Btec's aren't looked down on. I went to a ucas conference earlier in the year where they showed stats from the previous cycle showing that an incredibly large number of applicants had studied at least one Btec and its on the rise each year. In terms of university recruitment, its the Btec market we have to focus on.

That said, just contact your unis before you apply and check that they will take your qualification. For some courses (often sciences) they will want a levels in addition but often a level 3 extended diploma is fine on it's own. In your ps focus on talking about why your current course will help you & develop your interests on your degree course. Don't waste time talking about why you're no longer doing a levels as that isn't important.
Reply 9
I didn't mean you should explain your reasoning behind changing course in a PS, as said it is a waste of characters.

I didn't even complete my first year of A-Levels, but I started again at another college because I hated sixth form at school, and now I'm in year 3 at uni.

You're worrying for no reason :smile:
Hello everyone,

Just a quick question to get your opinions because I want to find out how I appear from somebody else's perspective, so that I know how the universities I apply to may see me.

I originally started at Sixth Form and did Business and Economics, Maths, Further Maths and French, because at the time I thought I wanted to do a degree in Business mixed with a degree in either Maths or French (Joint Honours). This Sixth Form was in its first year of running when I started, based in a middle school (only one lab for all of the chemistry students, still had toilets for middle school children so they were really low down, barely any computers, etc) so I honestly felt that I wasn't getting the resources nor the quality teaching I needed. I chose to go there in the first place because it was run by the same people as my high school, which I felt was of a high standard and so thought the sixth form would be too. How wrong was I?!

Anyway, I also realised halfway through my AS-Levels that I hated 3/4 of the subjects I was studying and the only one I really enjoyed and was passionate about was Business and Economics. This is the subject I got an A in. In fact, I got the highest mark on both of my AS papers in the entire year and the head of the department constantly photocopied my work to hand out to other students as examples.

I decided I was going to leave and do a BTEC instead around November, despite my teacher (the head of year and head of the Business department) practically begging me to stay because I was her best student. But instead of leaving there and then, I knew that I couldn't start a BTEC course until September anyway and I didn't want to waste all that time I had already spent at the sixth form, so I stayed despite hating it and did my exams in January and in May/June. I ended up getting ABDE, which I think is alright considering I hated it.

I now am studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business Management and Finance. All of the universities I am thinking of applying to (Leeds, Cardiff and Sheffield) state they accept that as a qualification (at least for Business Management anyway - Leeds doesn't accept it to do an Economics degree), but I am worried that because I left sixth form half way through and started again at college, that I will look fickle, undecided and even as a quitter and that this may negatively affect their decision whether to give me an offer or not.

What do you think?

I would applaude that you tried something it wasn't right you found out what you wanted to do went and did it at uni people chance course even university all the time (I changed uni) and nobody looks down on them its fine.

it's not bad
Hello everyone,

Just a quick question

*Writes Essay*

*Sigh*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by angelash156
I didn't mean you should explain your reasoning behind changing course in a PS, as said it is a waste of characters.

I didn't even complete my first year of A-Levels, but I started again at another college because I hated sixth form at school, and now I'm in year 3 at uni.

You're worrying for no reason :smile:

I hope I am! It's comforting to hear of someone else changing courses to do something other than A Levels and getting into uni because all the unis say things but I couldn't believe them without a real situation to prove it. What uni do you go to/what do you study? :smile:
Reply 14

You didn't have to read it, y'know. :rolleyes:
Reply 15
Original post by jonathanemptage
I would applaude that you tried something it wasn't right you found out what you wanted to do went and did it at uni people chance course even university all the time (I changed uni) and nobody looks down on them its fine.

Yeah, I hope they see it that way too. Thanks :smile:
looking at the amount of people that switch within the first day let alone few weeks once at uni I think you'll be ok
I hope I am! It's comforting to hear of someone else changing courses to do something other than A Levels and getting into uni because all the unis say things but I couldn't believe them without a real situation to prove it. What uni do you go to/what do you study? :smile:

Hey!

I restarted A-levels.. lol. But I know a few people who went to my college doing BTECs who are now in uni!

I study Law in Portsmouth :smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending