The Student Room Group

What is IB and do you think I should do it?

Sorry if this thread has already been made but I've just today been introduced to IB whilst at a 6th form open day and i had never heard of it before.
I very briefly know what one is but I want to know whether I should take it
I know you choose 6 subjects and do 3 standard and 3 higher level and that there is a point score out of 45?
I want to to dentistry at manchester and was wondering whether it is worth it? Are the subjects like 6 whole a levels or shorter courses?
What type of subjects do you have to take?
Can you take a subject you've never done before like art or drama?
Which is better a level or IB?
And just general info because as you can tell I am so confused and unaware of what it is!
Thanks!
Reply 1
Just do a levels, they're better recognised by universities and employers and generally you have to work harder to achieve the same in IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by james1211
Just do a levels, they're better recognised by universities and employers and generally you have to work harder to achieve the same in IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just looked through another thread and read a lot of negative comments! Hmm yh well the only thing that attracted me was the range of subjects so I automatically thought it wouldn't be extremely hard... Especially since the 6th form I went to said their average was 40 this year and 39 last year
Reply 3
If you are willing to put in the time and effort required by a good IB student, IB is not at all hard. It's a lot of work, granted, but if you WANT to succeed at IB, it is entirely possible. A good majority of those that complain that IB is hard are those who are used to getting by with mediocre work and having relatively little amount of homework. I honestly don't understand these complaints, because these are the same people who only begin doing their weekend work on a Sunday. If you set aside the time, and get into the mindframe that a good chunk of your life will be dedicated to IB for some 2 years, it's a piece of cake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending