The Student Room Group

D in first mock test

Hi everyone,

I'm predicted an A at AS Chemistry (OCR) but got a D in my first mock test - my teacher wasn't worried but obviously I'm naturally concerned. Would you say it's normal to be getting not great grades at this point in the year?

I'm super worried as I've been working SO hard and physically cannot do any more :/
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Hi everyone,

I'm predicted an A at AS Chemistry (OCR) but got a D in my first mock test - my teacher wasn't worried but obviously I'm naturally concerned. Would you say it's normal to be getting not great grades at this point in the year?

I'm super worried as I've been working SO hard and physically cannot do any more :/

Don't get too worried. Just try to spend a bit more time on it, on weekends. I only got a B, but did much worse on mocks...
Reply 2
I got D's throughout all my mocks (even got a D in January), but then I started putting more effort in and got a B overall.

Try get as high as you can in these 2 units because it gets much harder, trust me.
Reply 3
Original post by chigyy
I got D's throughout all my mocks (even got a D in January), but then I started putting more effort in and got a B overall.

Try get as high as you can in these 2 units because it gets much harder, trust me.

The problem is that I'm putting in SO much effort, like I literally couldn't be doing any more. I do work every minute of my frees, plus 4-5 hours of study every evening, sometimes more. I'm not sure what else I can do :/
The problem is that I'm putting in SO much effort, like I literally couldn't be doing any more. I do work every minute of my frees, plus 4-5 hours of study every evening, sometimes more. I'm not sure what else I can do :/

I was in the exact position as you. I also currently study OCR AS chem. In my previous 2 mocks, I've been getting U's and D's. For my third mock I got a B, almost an A. This is because I changed my method of revision, and really focused on the types of questions I was getting wrong from my previous mock papers. After analysing my weaknesses, I attempted past papers relating to the similar topics. Surprisingly, I managed to understand things better that way.
Go over your notes, go on chem videos (I have a few good ones, if you'd like them?). Wish you all the best, don't give up! :smile:

EDIT: I would recommend you try and change your revision strategy. That way, you can compare your current method of revising to your new, and see which one works best for you. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5

The best way to get high marks in mocks and in the real exam when the time comes is by doing paper after paper. In chemistry the SAME questions come up every year, obviously they play with them a bit, but they are the same concept. What you need to aim for is to get 90%+ constantly in these papers, once you start doing that you will definitely get at least a B in the real exam. It's all about past papers, I know many people would have told you this already but I can't stress how important they are.
Hi everyone,

I got a u in one of my mocks and got an a in my actual exam, you should be a bit worried.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest