The Student Room Group

Reading and Leeds Festival 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YMLT
It just means your options on where to camp will be restricted and you'll end up quite far from the arena. You'll still get a space, some people arrive Friday morning.

Thanks!
Original post by contradicta
Hey, me and 2 friends are planning on going to Leeds. Getting our tickets this weekend.
We plan to arrive on Thursday but we won't be able to get there until around 8pm (we are coming from the Isle of Man) do you think this is too late?

Naa as YMLT, you'll just be further away but it isn't too much of a walk, just try not to go near the bottom of the hill in Orange/Red(Not sure which one) otherwise if it rains you'll be swamped, walked through it and it wasn't a pretty sight. You should be fine though, plenty of spaces should still be available.
Reply 82

Four I would watch so far.
Original post by Devel

Four I would watch so far.

Five so far that I'd like to see, to varying degrees. I've bought my ticket anyway since I missed the last two years, still hoping there is more for me come the next announcement, which is in March?
I can't be the only one who isn't convinced by this year's line up? So far, there's 3 acts I want to see and none of them are the confirmed headliners.

Nevertheless, I hope you all have a great time if you go! It was my first weekend last year at Reading after two years of going on the Sunday and I really enjoyed it so I hope you all will too. Don't make the mistake my group did and camp by a stream where we occasionally had the delight of seeing people go to the toilet by! :tongue:
Reply 85
Arctic Monkeys are a solid booking but slightly safe. They are still riding the AM wave (great album) and they've got Finsbury Park shows in the summer so it might be their career zenith this year. Blink-182 is a bizarre booking in my opinion, they played four years ago and were pretty rubbish then. There's a solid undercard as of yet but I'd expect them to draft in big sub-headliners.

Reading's appeal is seemingly increasingly wavering with Download/Sonisphere having the heavy aspect locked up, Glastonbury the ultimate festival for its allure and size, whilst Bestival is attracting the arty types and V Festival throws loads of money at the headliners to get the most safe/commercial lineup possible.
Anyone got any general info about reading they'd like to share with me? It'll be my first time this year so would be interesting to hear some insights on pretty much anything and everything. And tips for newbies!

More specifically, these for example:

- food
- crowds
- hygiene (hah)
- drinking..
- camping

And suchlike. Also, how to make it as enjoyable as possible! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the weather normally like for three days you're there for???

Ahhh, this is also my first ever festival and I am flippin excited!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
I've been to Reading five times and the weather varies - you are best looking nearer the time. The campsites have good atmosphere, especially purple which is farther away than green/yellow from the Main Stage but gets less churned up in the mud. The hygiene of the toilets and such is actually a lot worse than the other festivals I've been to (Glastonbury, Bestival) but the massive Tesco just outside the site is a massive benefit. You'll be able to get crates of beers there and they usually do deals on festival weekend.
Really want to go to Leeds this year just waiting for at least one of my friends to confirm they want to go. Arctic Monkeys are a safe booking but they are the biggest band in England at the minute and will be a popular booking. Really hoping The Stone Roses will be headliner number 3. Another possibility could be High Flying Birds.
Reply 90
The Stone Roses would complete the most predictable/bland trio of headliners I've seen at a festival for some time. Where's the adventure? The risk?
Reply 91
Original post by Devel
If you like live music events then of course it will be fun.

Probably a better idea to post these when more of the lineup is announced.

Yeah man will be :smile: Just putting the link out there for any who are thinking of getting their tickets early!
Original post by Mackay
The Stone Roses would complete the most predictable/bland trio of headliners I've seen at a festival for some time. Where's the adventure? The risk?

Your predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Superunknown17
Seeing as Download is up and running, I thought I might try and get the R+L thread for next year on the go.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything about the festivals and I'll try and keep you updated as often as I can.

Just confirmed: Blink-182 (Main Stage), Metronomy (NME), Disclosure (NME), Jake Bugg (Main Stage), Of Mice and Men (Rock Stage), I Am Legion (1Xtra Stage), Wilkinson (Dance Stage).

Thoughts on the first few acts announced?

Mumford have to be the third headliner, otherwise i'm going to Isle of Wight!
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Mumford have to be the third headliner, otherwise i'm going to Isle of Wight!

Not going to happen I'm afraid. I only know Rhcp and Kol at iow I think, who else is there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by Endless Blue
Your predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

QOTSA with the way things are going probably.

Festivals seem to get more underwhelming as the years go by.
Original post by Mackay
QOTSA with the way things are going probably.

Festivals seem to get more underwhelming as the years go by.

True, I don't think any announcements of major festivals thus far have been that exciting. Having said that, Eminem last year was arguably more of a surprise booking, but I'd still much rather see AM personally so I'm not complaining too much. :tongue:
Reply 97
True, I don't think any announcements of major festivals thus far have been that exciting. Having said that, Eminem last year was arguably more of a surprise booking, but I'd still much rather see AM personally so I'm not complaining too much. :tongue:

Yeah, it's not just Reading and Leeds.

There seems to be a growing emphasis on looking to book reformed bands/nostalgic acts rather than giving upcoming bands a chance. I'd love to see one of the major festivals follow Latitude's punt last year by allowing Foals to headline.
Not going to happen I'm afraid. I only know Rhcp and Kol at iow I think, who else is there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biffy Clyro, though they obviously did Reading/Leeds last year. RHCP sell it for me.
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Biffy Clyro, though they obviously did Reading/Leeds last year. RHCP sell it for me.

KOL let it down for me then, still looks great though.

Quick Reply

Latest