The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just found this: http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=6344 not sure if it needs additional libraries though.

Also, you'll have to declare it if you use it in your coursework.
Reply 61
aheh nice, but do i have to mention in the coursework (A2) that i got the codes from the net?
Does it work? I didn't try it out.

If you use it directly you'll have to say on the declaration form: procedure x that validates a UK postcode was taken from website xyz. You (probably) won't get any marks for it either as you didn't write it. You could probably use the concept and be OK. It's a bit of a grey area it'd be best to talk to your teacher who will be marking it and ask what the restrictions are for your board/course and how/if you declare anything.
Reply 63
Seriously, making the characters optional is a lot quicker than validating all postcodes. You will clearly get away with doing that, and formats don't count as validation anyway (at least on my exam board), that would be the field length. Considering some people still do projects in just databases without any programming, don't worry so much :P . Taking the code from a website is clearly not on though, at best you won't gain marks for using it.
Reply 64
good point, but i've started mine already, i dont know if it will work but basically im using input mask for optional characters and its format, but use codes to make all the letters capital and validate stuff such as starting with Ws and Zs
Swinely
Seriously, making the characters optional is a lot quicker than validating all postcodes. You will clearly get away with doing that, and formats don't count as validation anyway (at least on my exam board), that would be the field length. Considering some people still do projects in just databases without any programming, don't worry so much :P . Taking the code from a website is clearly not on though, at best you won't gain marks for using it.

"Reusing pieces of code is liked picking off sentences from other people's stories and trying to make a magazine article" - Bob Frankston
Reply 66
So hows everyone doing? My system nearly works apart from a few things entering into the database incorrectly :\, but i'll be spending the next 5 hours doing that today... and hopefully getting somewhere! Then off to stupid work grr..
Reply 67
DanGrover
I did essentially a message board for my politics class to share ideas and word definitions and news stories. included registering and signing up, so allowed for lots of talk about security etc, had different features and permission levels etc.

Sounds a very good simple idea. I'm doing a Hotel booking system and it's crap.
I am tackling the growing pains of a multi-user system. :frown: The prospect of tackling record locking functionality is one I really hope isn't expected to be of an A-Level candidates programming arsenal.
Seriously guys, don't bother doing ANYTHING more complicated than neccessary. You'll look back and think "wtf did I do that for? I wasted so much time, made it more complicated and thus probably lost marks, AND it took so long i couldnt revise for my other subjects."
Reply 70
True.. but neccessary is a bit ambiguous because we don't know where to stop. I'm finally doing the write up, my system is almost finished, missing it already though... I can't stand write ups.
Reply 71
I'm creating a Visual Basic user interface which is then linked to an access database, with the intention to create a web form which would link directly to the database, so that users can book into my system online. My computing teacher says that its perfectly acceptable, and if I wanted to I could achieve 100%.
I won't though, because I'll leave it all to the last minute :rolleyes:
Reply 72
lol sounds good, i've got a week to get my write up done...(Teacher wants it in so we can finally start the other units!) Literally just started testing, a few parts of the technical solution don't work either, going to have a major rush on my hands!
Reply 73
u havent started the units?? we've been doing em all year, side by side guess thats why your further than us
Reply 74
Yeah lol, although apparently we finished the 4th unit last summer, and now i've got a week to finish the coursework and then rest of time on unit 5. Not that i remember a thing about unit 4 :p:
lydz
u havent started the units?? we've been doing em all year, side by side guess thats why your further than us

We where doing CPT5 and CPT6 together, since some of the System Lifecycle, Testing and Analysis stuff from CPT5 interlinks well with The Practical Project. We are pretty much focusing solely on the project till a couple of weeks when our technical solution should be complete and we can begin the uphill battle that is CPT4.
Reply 76
CPT4 didn't seem that bad last summer? Is cpt5 mostly the systems lifecycle things :|? (So boring!!)
Swinely
CPT4 didn't seem that bad last summer? Is cpt5 mostly the systems lifecycle things :|? (So boring!!)

Are you resitting your A2-Level this year?
Reply 78
I meant i got taught cpt4 last summer, after a/s exams. Not that i sat it last year lol.
Swinely
I meant i got taught cpt4 last summer, after a/s exams. Not that i sat it last year lol.

That seems abit crazy, our/me memory isnt that good :smile:

I prefer learning a module right up to the examination date, and then just releasing that wave of fresh information on that examination paper. Take for instance English Language and Literature, last year for NTB2 I got 100% in the final examination, which was essentially a comparison between The Colour Purple and The Scarlet Letter, now however, not even one year later I can barely remember the author names of the two novels. Perhaps this is just me though!

Latest