The Student Room Group

Should Marine A be in prison

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peach42
I don't think that saying something that qualifies for some sort of punishment.. people say things like that everyday

b and c were lucky. Either of them would have done it given the chance (particularly C given his diary entry)! Not saying that they deserve huge sentences, but they certainly deserved something. In my opinion they are all as bad as each other.
Reply 21
Original post by Dr. Django
b and c were lucky. Either of them would have done it given the chance (particularly C given his diary entry)! Not saying that they deserve huge sentences, but they certainly deserved something. In my opinion they are all as bad as each other.

But they didn't actually do anything.. I'm sure there are thousands of people in the british AF or PUBLIC.. who would also do it given the chance..

but we're not going to lock them all up
Original post by peach42
But they didn't actually do anything.. I'm sure there are thousands of people in the british AF or PUBLIC.. who would also do it given the chance..

I'm just saying that those guys were culpable of encouraging him and keeping it quiet. I just find it surprising that they got away with it when it was a almost a 'race' to see who would do it. Just read C's diary...it shows my point exactly exactly.
He violated the Geneva code. Yes, he deserves his sentence.
Original post by peach42

By law if you are with someone who commits a crime and do nothing to stop it you are considered an accessory to that crime and should be punished. I believe that is true but by all means correct me if I'm wrong. Marines b and c actually encouraged the murder.

To the op, in my opinion he should never get out. He committed a murder whilst supposedly fighting those who are wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I'm just saying that those guys were culpable of encouraging him and keeping it quiet. I just find it surprising that they got away with it when it was a almost a 'race' to see who would do it. Just read C's diary...it shows my point exactly exactly.

Surprised at least C wasn't convicted under joint enterprise if I'm honest - allowing it to happen, not telling and encouraging the murder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26

yeah i see what you mean..

unfortunately i don't think there is an applicable law that will get them punished.. unless maybe accessory applies here?
Reply 27
Original post by Paralove
Surprised at least C wasn't convicted under joint enterprise if I'm honest - allowing it to happen, not telling and encouraging the murder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I would agree to be honest.. but there could be further developments?
Why on earth did the other two get off with no punishment!? Any one of them was willing to do the deed.
They've used the argument that they weren't actually serious. Its going to be quite difficult to prove after a heated battle and confronting a wounded enemy that they weren't just venting. People say "I'm going to kill you" in fights all the time, its a bit different to actually then turning round and killing someone. Whether or not they were being serious their lack of medical aid, lack of protest and then complicity would suggest, but not prove beyond doubt they were. I am surprised they were not found guilty on a lesser charge, they just witnessed and execution and someone admitting they broke the Geneva convention and didn't try to stop it or even report it afterwards.

Marine A should obviously be in prison, he broke the Geneva convention, something which Royal Marines will depend on should they be captured in other conflicts. Its unprofessional and irresponsible. I do hold a level of understanding for why he did as he did and he is completely correct in that its nothing the Taliban wouldn't do to them. I'd imagine B and C's careers are over, even if that are to return to their units, any commander will see them as potential liabilities.
Original post by danny111
What even happened? You make a thread and give no link describing what it's about?

A marine killed an injured Taliban soldier after dragging him to safety. That was after a helicopter left as well. Dragged him out of sight and put a bullet in his chest
Yes, this sort of behaviour is not tolerated by civilised armies. I have no sympathy for the Taliban fighter he killed, but that doesn't change the fact that killing an unarmed person is wrong. The fact that Britain's army kills armed combatants rather than unarmed civilians (or anything in-between) is one of the things which makes what it does morally acceptable, and if this principle is breached, people should complain, and they have.
Reply 31
Original post by the bear
i do not see why everyone thinks "Marine A" is such a great guy. He betrayed the traditions of the Marines and his fellow soldiers. Then he used his rank to attempt to cover up his crime. Then he denied the offence in court. If he were an officer i would recommend him to take the honourable way out.

I can't say I've met anyone who thinks he's in any way great. I'm very surprised that Facebook page exists and agree with your interpretation of his action.

Original post by Sammy Lanka
By law if you are with someone who commits a crime and do nothing to stop it you are considered an accessory to that crime and should be punished. I believe that is true but by all means correct me if I'm wrong.

Consider yourself corrected: it is wrong.
Original post by Paralove
In complete agreement. C said he would put a bullet in his head.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But C was also the most junior, so could've just been saying that to try and appease his superior officer
Original post by Assassinn
Yes, he broke the rules he swore oath to. Sure, 'it's nothing he would've done to them' but civility and order is what should seperate us from them.

So the people of Britain are above these feral people of Afghanistan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by techno-thriller
A marine killed an injured Taliban soldier after dragging him to safety. That was after a helicopter left as well. Dragged him out of sight and put a bullet in his chest

Why did he save him in the first place?

But judging by that it sounds like murder...
Original post by L i b
Consider yourself corrected: it is wrong.

Out of interest what is the law regarding witness a crime then. I ask because i cannot believe that there is legislation stating that you can do nothing to stop a crime and then not even report it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Whilst I have the greatest respect for the work that the military does, I think he should be detained - he failed to uphold the strong traditions of the military and acted illegally by killing a prisoner. Whilst he's right that the Taliban wouldn't have followed the Geneva Convention or any other rule of law either (chopping heads of prisoners seems to be par for the course) that doesn't excuse A's actions. We can't help to modernise Afghanistan if we give them lawlessness. I understand why they've been given anonymity though - too many nutters around would easily target his family in revenge.
Why did he save him in the first place?

But judging by that it sounds like murder...

He didn't save him. He just dragged him away after they realised he was alive.
Here is an audio clip. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/listen-audio-released-royal-marines-alleged-taliban-execution-article-1.1509798

It is only part of it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by peach42
I don't think that saying something that qualifies for some sort of punishment.. people say things like that everyday

On video and then later in his diary?

And yea, I and many others regularly talk about killing another human being. While have a gun in our hands.
Reply 39
On video and then later in his diary?

And yea, I and many others regularly talk about killing another human being. While have a gun in our hands.

I think i might have been misinterpreted..

I am not condoning, or defending any actions taken..

I am merely speaking from a legal perspective.. as far as i know, they didn't hold him down or anything, and didn't play any role other than being bystanders.. so i don't think theres anything you could use against them in a criminal trial, regardless of their 'willingness' to kill if they were not beaten to the opporunity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending