The Student Room Group

Working at HMV questions

Hi, I'm starting a Christmas job with them in a few weeks time and while I'm very excited (it's my first proper job and I've always wanted to work there) I'm also quite nervous. I've been told I'll be getting an induction and training before I start my first shift but I was looking for a bit more information on what to expect.

Can anyone who works/worked there tell me what it's like working there? I'm worried about messing up on the tills and embarrassing myself. I also phoned them up to seek advice on what to wear and they just told me jeans and a shirt but what about on my feet? Are white trainers a bad idea?

God I'm so nervous.
Reply 1
Hi,
Sorry if this response is a bit late..
I'm working as a Christmas Temp too.

On your induction you get shown a dvd about the importance of film & game age certificates and ID'ing customers who you judge to look underage of the product they're buying. You get given a quiz booklet on the dvd you're shown (don't worry it's the kind of thing you probably did in school to make sure you're aware of things & to make sure you're paying close attention too) You also get given your work rota and contract agreement. You'll be told you're entitled to 30% staff discount on all products except game consoles.
You get given 2 work shirts and your lanyard with a name badge, 'new starter' badge and a hmv badge.
You get shown how to use the till and the 'till captain' will put the till on training mode and assist you on how to process transactions.
You get shown how to use the track computer too, to check stock instore and learn of the whereabouts of specific items along with the prices too.

Don't worry about not knowing how to use the till your supervisor will be patient with you and guide you through, you'll also have a till captain with you on the till so if you're ever unsure, don't be afraid to ask for help. Trust me, I've made a few minor mistakes and I got called into the office because my till was down :frown: (I didn't steal, it was just because of vouchers, I wasn't aware at the time that you're not allowed to give change in cash if the change is over 50p, it must go onto a HMV gift voucher)

You'll be left a daily rota on the till by your supervisor of your daily routine. Which will just let you know what time you're due to be on the till or on service. s1 and s2, s1 means you're greeting customers at the front, and handing out HMV catalogues (market area, new releases) and s2 is basically asking customers if they'd like any help around the a-z area of the store.

I hope I've helped a bit, I've only been working at HMV for 3 weeks as a temp, but you'll get the hang of it in the nick of time! :smile:
Reply 2
Hi thanks alot for the reply. That's helped alot. I'm just really nervous about everything, I suffer from social anxiety so while I'm really excited to be starting, I'm also absolutely terrified. Is the till easy to use? How long did it take you to get a hang of it? How about the track computer thing? There's a few other people starting on the same day as me which makes me feel a bit better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending