The Student Room Group

Transferring Universities

I REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE?

Basically, I went to Falmouth University this year to study English. I don't feel that the uni is right for me, I'm 7 hours away from home, and for a number of reasons I just feel like I don't want to stay down there for three years.
I want to transfer to Derby University next year, my long term boyfriend studies there and its a lot closer to home, having visited up there a few times I'm sure I will prefer it as its a lot similar to where I used to live.
I just don't really want to get my hopes up about it all but I have spoken to Derby and they seem very optimistic about the idea.
Only thing is, is that I'm worried I won't be accepted, due to the fact I got 220 UCAS points last year when the entry requirements for Derby is 260, but will they look more at my pass rate for my first year at Uni or focus on my A-Levels?
Aswell as this, I really don't want to re-do my first year.

Has anyone had any experience themselves in transferring universities?
Thank you for any help :smile:
You would have to apply via UCAS, specifically for Direct Entry into the 2nd year. This would require a reference from your current university and a new personal statement. So long as Derby have explicitly said they don't mind your A-Level results being a bit under their requirements, it won't be a problem. Any offer that they give you will be entirely dependent on how you do in your first year; typically universities will ask for a 60% average. If you achieve all of this you'll begin your second year at Derby in September.

I did it last year and it's a lot easier than you'd think, most likely. Just make sure that Derby are okay with your A-Level results and then get to work on making a new application. :smile:
Reply 2
I transferred between universities a long time ago but it was very easy and I'm sure it's just as easy now. If you do all right in your first year, you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck!
There is a really good sticky on this subject here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424

That should answer most of your questions.

As to the specific entry requirements, you should confirm these with the university that you want to transfer to. You should also confirm whether or not they will accept you into second year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending