The Student Room Group

Armed forces - are they heroes?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
Because it's badly and obviously wrong. It's like you saying 2+2 = elephant. Doesn't really need an explanation as to why it's wrong. It just is.
And you know all that because you're stupid but you're not really stupid, you're just being deliberately and painfully obtuse. As per.

the 2+2= elephant part made me laugh. I think he may actually be stupid though.
It is someone's individual actions which defines them as a "hero", not their job description, and that includes members of the armed forces. Honestly, that term has become so bastardised and it lumps the members of the armed forces who never go within 100 miles of the front line in the same category as the infantrymen, combat medics, Apache pilots etc. who actually are the front line and risk life & limb.
Reply 102
If they have saved a life then sure, I don't see why not.
Reply 103
Original post by Mackay
Today me and my friends got talking about "unpopular opinions". Seeing as though it's Remembrance Sunday, mine was a topical one: I don't believe that soldiers are heroes, unless they do something heroic outside their line of duty. Of course, it is a brave profession, but conscription isn't a thing anymore and I get really tired of being TOLD I have to appreciate the things they do for me.

To me: if a soldier does something outside his line of duty to save a life then they are a hero. Otherwise, they aren't. They are merely doing a job like the rest of us do each day.

Thoughts?

you cant compare modern soldiers to those that fought in wwi and wwii - back on those days they fought fullscale war which had a far higher casualty rate than anything nowadays, allied forces faced formidable capable armies wth access to then high end weaponery and even chemical weapons ( mustard gas etc) . today warfare is vastly different. nd no todays soldier is not a 'hero' they are just doing a job (still a useful one), just like any other state employee
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mackay
Today me and my friends got talking about "unpopular opinions". Seeing as though it's Remembrance Sunday, mine was a topical one: I don't believe that soldiers are heroes, unless they do something heroic outside their line of duty. Of course, it is a brave profession, but conscription isn't a thing anymore and I get really tired of being TOLD I have to appreciate the things they do for me.

To me: if a soldier does something outside his line of duty to save a life then they are a hero. Otherwise, they aren't. They are merely doing a job like the rest of us do each day.

Thoughts?

Perhaps the term heroes is thrown around a bit too casually but I for one have great respect for the soldiers. You should appreciate them, they do a duty for the country, one which I imagine you would be too gutless to do. Would you want to spend 6 months away at a time from your family, facing each day with a gun in your hand and missiles from far away places being trained on you? No I guess you wouldn't, and I know you couldn't because you are too much of a coward. Have some respect for the people who've laid their lives down for honour and for their country you little pr*ck. Its not merely a job like the ones the rest of us do each day, the biggest challenge you probably face in a day is which coffee mug to choose in the morning whereas a soldier may have to face holding his best friend in his arms as he dies, you can hardly call that the same as your day at work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending