The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry: Why the phrase unpaired electron?

So we're doing Unit 2 on Hydrocarbons etc. and the phrase unpaired electron is used when talking about radicals in free radical substitution. Can someone explain why it is called this. I understand that it is denoted as Cl but I just want to know why it is called this so I can remember it better.
Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
It's called an unpaired electron because the electron isn't paired up in its orbital.... :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by BJack
It's called an unpaired electron because the electron isn't paired up in its orbital.... :s-smilie:

Yes but why is it unpaired and our teacher said a Cl radical is the same as a Cl atom I.e. 7 electrons in its outermost shell? Is that correct. Also what's the significance of a single (unpaired electron)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by YMB?
Yes but why is it unpaired and our teacher said a Cl radical is the same as a Cl atom I.e. 7 electrons in its outermost shell? Is that correct. Also what's the significance of a single (unpaired electron)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes Chlorine has 7 valence electrons in its outer shell. If you draw a lewis dot structure for Chlorine you'll see that there is one unpaired electron which is a radical. Also, a radical is very reactive, so reacts quickly to form new molecules.
Reply 4
Original post by Veqz
Yes Chlorine has 7 valence electrons in its outer shell. If you draw a lewis dot structure for Chlorine you'll see that there is one unpaired electron which is a radical. Also, a radical is very reactive, so reacts quickly to form new molecules.

OK right but why does it have to be paired, is it more stable that way?
Reply 5
Original post by YMB?
OK right but why does it have to be paired, is it more stable that way?

Yep, elements are more stable when they form for example covalent bonds with another element and share electrons so they have no unpaired ones.
Reply 6
Original post by Veqz
Yep, elements are more stable when they form for example covalent bonds with another element and share electrons so they have no unpaired ones.

Ohhhh OK thank you so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest