The Student Room Group

Uni fees may rise up to 20K

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by natninja
Privatisation of Student loan company and retrospective interest hike... *cough cough* or at least that's what the demonstrations a week on Wednesday are going to be for...

And it feels like very real money to me... it's money that I won't be earning but will still be working for... Though with 9K fees manypeople will never pay it off anyway...

Take medicine and dentistry with the highest average graduate lifetime salary at £41,624 (source - Daily Telegraph online) so -20% tax and a bit for NI this becomes about £32000 so SLC takes each year 10% of this which is £3200 ok so take your average student loan as max maintenance and living costs for a 3 year course which is £37725 so the fees are payed off after 12 years. SLC makes a net profit.

However the average grad lifetime salary is in fact apparently lower than this
http://ww2.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Main_menu___Research/Labour_market_information/Labour_market_FAQs/How_do_graduate_and_non_graduate_salaries_compare_/p!elkFpLg
coming out over a year to be £28929 so that means by the same maths that SLC get around £2200 a year, fine gets payed off in full eventually.

Ok now lets say fees rise to £20000, now your 3 year course loan comes out to over 60K and you only pay back for 30 years after you graduate... so SLC makes a net loss (taking inflation over 30 years into account)... As SLC is now privatised then it goes bust or is renationalised and that is not sustainable in the long run... Even if it isn't privatised it is still unsustainable.

The 9% is pre tax/NI not post.

Retrospective interest rate hike? huh? Thats just stuff made up isn't it? They aren't even privatising all of it, more like a third of it.

The loans and the SLC are different, the SLC just does admin, it doesn't hold the loan revenue, that goes to HMRC.
Reply 61
Original post by Quady
The 9% is pre tax/NI not post.

Retrospective interest rate hike? huh? Thats just stuff made up isn't it? They aren't even privatising all of it, more like a third of it.

The loans and the SLC are different, the SLC just does admin, it doesn't hold the loan revenue, that goes to HMRC.

I stand corrected... No idea if it's made up of not... apparently it was leaked from Rothschild bank... there's some sort of demonstration about it.

Though with the exception of medicine, an undergrad degree doesn't tend to cost anywhere near £20K a year if you look at what international students are paying where there is no cap.
Reply 62
Original post by anonymouspie227
so I'd essentially just have debt for no reason.

I'm not sure. I think it's a bit cheeky if theu did rise it up that much and I think a lot of people would noy want to go as a result.

So that?

People thought that when fees were introduced, when they rose to 3k, when they rose to 9k - didn't happen...
Nope, def wouldn't bother with uni if it rose to 20k
Original post by Quady
So that?

People thought that when fees were introduced, when they rose to 3k, when they rose to 9k - didn't happen...

Can you cite that please, I haven't seen the figures are you saying there has been no decrease? Also I think theres a big difference between 20k and 9k
Reply 65
Can you cite that please, I haven't seen the figures are you saying there has been no decrease? Also I think theres a big difference between 20k and 9k

I presume you have access to google too
http://www.hesa.ac.uk/content/view/1897/239/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22354324

Its only doubling, previously its tripled.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 66

I believe there was a decrease in the first application cycle following the introduction of top up fees in 2006, but application numbers soon recovered and continued to record levels each year.

Following the most recent increase there has been a decrease across universities (though some have still seen numbers of applications grow) but still perhaps not the doom and gloom some predicted. Numbers remain healthy with annual increases.

Ultimately there's still a perception among people, especially young people, that a degree is needed if you want more than "dead end" jobs. Young people still want the "university experience", too. They're willing to "pay" for that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Take medicine and dentistry with the highest average graduate lifetime salary at £32000 so SLC takes each year 10% of this which is £3200 ok so take your average student loan as max maintenance and living costs for a 3 year course which is £37725 so the fees are payed off after 12 years. SLC makes a net profit.

However the average grad lifetime salary is in fact apparently lower than this £28929 so that means by the same maths that SLC get around £2200 a year, fine gets payed off in full eventually.

Loans are only repaid with income OVER the threshold. My loan is 9% of earnings above £15k for example. If I earned £16k a year, my repayments would be £90 per year, not £1,440.
Reply 68
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Loans are only repaid with income OVER the threshold. My loan is 9% of earnings above £15k for example. If I earned £16k a year, my repayments would be £90 per year, not £1,440.

True that... and with the threshold now at £21,000 that means that it becomes quite unsustainable...
Less people going to university would be a good thing. There are now so many people with a degree that a certain amount of the prestige has now gone.

I don't see how people can complain about certain UK universities potentially charging £20k if you look at a lot of world leading universities tuition fees would be similar, especially when put into perspective against average earnings

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
That's ridiculous.
Reply 71
True that... and with the threshold now at £21,000 that means that it becomes quite unsustainable...

How do you mean 'unsustainable'?

Each year the income from student loans the Government gets rises as an additional year of graduates fall into repayments (which will drive revenue up for the next 20 years) and graduates in repayment see rises in their income, which will happen indefinitely.

Meanwhile the amount the Government spends will rise with inflation.

Each and every year payment for higher education by Government gets more and more sustainable.
Reply 72
Original post by River85
I believe there was a decrease in the first application cycle following the introduction of top up fees in 2006, but application numbers soon recovered and continued to record levels each year.

Part of that was down to people applying a year early and deferring entry, although I think that loophole was closed when 9k fees came in.
Reply 73
Original post by Quady
How do you mean 'unsustainable'?

Each year the income from student loans the Government gets rises as an additional year of graduates fall into repayments (which will drive revenue up for the next 20 years) and graduates in repayment see rises in their income, which will happen indefinitely.

Meanwhile the amount the Government spends will rise with inflation.

Each and every year payment for higher education by Government gets more and more sustainable.

People failing to completely pay off their student loans in the long run.
Reply 74
People failing to completely pay off their student loans in the long run.

So what...?

As long as the revenue from loans doesn't go down, what does it matter?
Reply 75
Original post by Quady
So what...?

As long as the revenue from loans doesn't go down, what does it matter?

Say I lend you £100 with 5% interest. Until you have paid back the original £100 I haven't made any money on it at all. That is the crux of the issue. The revenue itself is irrelevant if it is less than the costs. So say I now lend out £100 to 100 people who each only pay back £99 I get a £100 loss and the more people who borrow money and fail to pay it back the greater my loss. Now I suddenly lend them £200 each but they are now earning a bit more and can pay back £150 I make a loss of £5000 etc.
Reply 76
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
As long as students can get a loan to cover the costs, which gets written off after a certain amount of time, they will continue to go - because it doesn't feel like "real money". If anything, it feels like getting paid if you have anything left over from your loan, and it still feels like an easier option than getting a job for a few years.

I never understood the argument that tuition fees going up meant students could no longer afford to go to uni. Everything still gets paid for and you still only pay back a proportion if you are earning over a certain amount, which is quite a high amount anyway. People only pay back their loans when they can afford to, it is interest free and even when they do start paying, it should not affect their standard of living if they have basic money management ability.

I think a rise in fees is unfair but I honestly don't think a vast proportion of students understand the concept of student loans. They are not like regular loans at all!
Reply 77
Say I lend you £100 with 5% interest. Until you have paid back the original £100 I haven't made any money on it at all. That is the crux of the issue. The revenue itself is irrelevant if it is less than the costs. So say I now lend out £100 to 100 people who each only pay back £99 I get a £100 loss and the more people who borrow money and fail to pay it back the greater my loss. Now I suddenly lend them £200 each but they are now earning a bit more and can pay back £150 I make a loss of £5000 etc.

These aren't traditional loans, the repayment approach is such that the state can never make a profit. Actually thats simplifying things given with 9k fees there will be different interest rates for different earners, but its still set up that the state makes 'a loss' on the loans themselves.

You are entirely forgetting all other forms of tax, grads with better jobs they'd have otherwise had pay more NI/Income Tax/VAT, the companies they work for pay more corporation tax etc.

The loans are designed to bring in more revenue overall.

Edit
Oh and you're forgetting the state used to pay everything and just get the tax, they were 'losing' much more then - they 'lost' everything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 78

You're getting confused. Even if more people fail to pay off their loans fully when they are at higher rates they can still make more revenue. For arguments sake say when the tuition fee loans were a total of £10 000 and 90% pay that of fully. Now assume that tuition fees total £30 000 and only 40% pay that off fully. If 90% were able to pay off £10 000 before, there is nor reason why that should change. So now we only have 40% paying of the full £30 000 but another 50% paying of at least £10 000, many of which will be paying significantly more than this; some say £15 000, £20 000 etc. Revenues go up even though full repayment drastically reduces. Interest is irrelevant with student loans.

If people could pay back 10 grand before then there is no reason people won't continue to pay this back (and then some), that is the point he was trying to make.

Edit: I misread what you wrote. You weren't referring to revenues but the losses i.e if they lend 27 000 and only receive 20 000 for example. That's a good point, I'm not sure about that because then it seems like the profit is for the universities and the government may lose, although they must have good reasons for it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Quady
These aren't traditional loans, the repayment approach is such that the state can never make a profit. Actually thats simplifying things given with 9k fees there will be different interest rates for different earners, but its still set up that the state makes 'a loss' on the loans themselves.

You are entirely forgetting all other forms of tax, grads with better jobs they'd have otherwise had pay more NI/Income Tax/VAT, the companies they work for pay more corporation tax etc.

The loans are designed to bring in more revenue overall.

Edit
Oh and you're forgetting the state used to pay everything and just get the tax, they were 'losing' much more then - they 'lost' everything.

I think the raise was more specifically so they could make huge savings from the cuts to institutions' teaching budgets because as you say the loans don't actually make the government a profit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending